Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scanned through the thread and didn't quite find the answer.

I understand the share split part, that's simple enough.

What I don't get is the record date vs. date of split-basis trade.

The record date is on 21st, which means if only A-B-C owns 1share each on that date, they would each be granted 4 additional shares in the form of stock dividend.

But there's another week until the grant (28) and a tad over a week (31) until new price is reflected? who is going to trade any share between 22-28? Because buyers of shares during that period won't be getting the shares (in the form of dividend).

Say if B sells a share on the next trading session of record to D, D would only realistically buy shares at split-basis price because he won't be granted the 4 additional shares (dividend form) based on the share he has.

Can someone explain this?

How much is a share without the right for the extra 4x dividend shares worth? TSLA will trade at this price.

(Answer: 1/5th of the closing sp at 21.august).

Just like share who pay out dividends in cash. These stocks go down by the dividend amount the day after the record date.

Reactions: Andy O
Hope tomorrow we won’t talk about stock split as dividends anymore!!! Same pizza but now have 5 slices,for short they’re owls the same! After all it’s the same pizza people.

reminds me of the yogi Berra quote:
9FADE013-740E-4CD4-9CC0-EA4F6640F78C.jpeg

OT since everyone is in a giddy mood this morning :)

My son started distance learning school today. On the zoom conf call (there is always that one kid who doesn't mute his mic)

Kid: Dad, where is the book for this class???
Dad: Ask your fu**ing mom!!
Kid: Mom, Where is the book for this class??
Mom: Did your useless dad tell you to ask me??

Oh man...this was within the first 15 min of the beginning of the school year....can't wait to see what else is in store with that family

We might well assume that every TSLA holder who made no transactions today has at least an 11% gain thus far today. Those including options in the category might differ. Margin buyers still should have >11% today thus far. As for the number of digits involved, one might exercise some discretion, mightn't one?

Can you whisper "7 digits" a little louder please? :D

How much is a share without the right for the extra 4x dividend shares worth? TSLA will trade at this price.

(Answer: 1/5th of the closing sp at 21.august).

Just like share who pay out dividends in cash. These stocks go down by the dividend amount the day after the record date.

Exactly... so the wording of the trade on split-basis fro 31st is at an official level, but the stock price would reflect on the 24th(first trading session after record) right?

14.25M, but yeah it's BIG.

Lack of shorters? Short covering? Lack of naked shorting by MMs?

FOMO is a thing. Now we got big players capitulating and leaving the field, I think.

Cheers!

When was the last time we had a chart that looked like this? No downward pressure at all, just a steady rise.

I feel like you’d have the answer at your fingertips, which is why I ask rather than doing the work.

okay i'm done with this ding dong. he is clearly a short seller posting here under false pretenses making comically bad attempts to induce fear and doubt among bulls. Since he appeared, literally EVERY news event has caused him to post "OH NO, DOES THIS MEAN I SHOULD SELL?!?!" and every non event causes him to post "GEE I GUESS WE SHOULD SELL NOW, RIGHT, GUYS??"

he is either a troll or the stupidest investor of all time.
you are wrong on most of your guess. I don't actually need to do this, but let me show you part of my positions of TSLA. There are even more in my other accounts.

click the link to see it
Screen-Shot-2020-08-12-at-11-04-24-AM

TSLATESLA INC COM
$1,552.659+$178.269
+$16,571.37
+12.97%
+$96,645.41+202.67%
$144,330.55 92.957
$512.98/Share
$47,685.14

I don't understand why split make TSLA go up so much, but that doesn't affect me from holding TSLA. I am looking forward for Battery Day and Q3 results.

1cEwTsn

You are probably right on one thing, that I am the stupidest investor of all time. I feel insecure easily.

Therefore, thank for all good guys here that helped me hold TSLA firmly.

Last edited: