Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this context the two words are as good as interchangeable. Because "reasonable" is a value judgement just as "fair" is. There is no answer, as I said, it depends upon how likely you think a great outcome is (and how great that outcome will be). There is certainly plenty of room for reasonable disagreement here, you just have to decide whether you want a piece of the pie depending on how likely a positive scenario is.

Some people who think they understand Tesla could feel "reasonable" while valuing it at $250. Personally, I think I know more than they do and I don't find that "reasonable" at all. They do. So what? That's their right and they won't own the revenue stream as I will.

Some people wouldn't sell tomorrow at $5,000, I probably would. $250 to $5,000 is a twenty fold difference. What's reasonable? Only those willing to put real money on the line get a vote. Currently the "vote" stands at $1,627. It can and will go up or down from there. I know it sounds like I'm stating the obvious (and I am) but it needs to be said. There is no "reasonable" when the potential outcomes have such a wide range. Because no one can see the future. But those who are best at figuring out what the future looks like, end up with the most money.

I'm confident the more bullish TSLA investors will end up with more money than the more doubtful ones. Time will tell.

Aye caramba man, I don’t mean reasonable from MY perspective. Obviously I’m giving Tesla a future MC of multiple trillions. That’s why I’m here.

I mean “reasonable” from the market’s perspective, because that’s what dictates how quickly SP ascends. My point is simply that we know where this is going, but it’s the opinion of a lot of other investors, most far less informed than this forum, on when Tesla gets to have whatever forward-looking MC is in question.

Reactions: Krugerrand
Yes they absolutely could "finance" the dividend. This was explained earlier with links to the Delaware incorporation papers.

The finance for a STOCK dividend (not cash) would be based on the par value of the stock, not the equity/trading value of it. Which is a mere 0.01 per share.

The profit on like 15k pairs of short shorts would cover that (and that's assuming Tesla overpaid for the cost-price of the shorts)

(and would be an hilarious way to finance this too if it's really forcing short covers as many have suggested)

The fact folks are getting "we aren't really sure how this gets handled" from bankers and brokers in europe seems to reinforce the idea this LEGIT is a dividend not just a simple split- as there'd be nothing for them to figure out with a normal split... but a 400% stock dividend would be REALLY unusual and rare and require folks figuring stuff out if EU tax laws are as weird as has been suggested on dividends
literally every single sentence in this quoted post is false. Wrong. Erroneous. Completely worthless information. This is not an attack on the quoted poster, but simply a red flag thrown on the content of the post.

They're PHEV's. You can drive it with an uncharged battery.

O.K. Thanks for the correction. I admit, I'm unfamiliar with the world of hybrids. But I'm sure that will be a great driving experience without electric assist for what I assume is a tiny gas engine. o_O

If Ford doesn't figure out a quick fix there will still be lawsuits.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Meanwhile, Wall Street may want to cap TSLA until S&P 500 related funds can buy. If a subsequent offering of shares is involved, the investment banks would like the price to be attractive for all potential buyers. The index funds and investment banks are customers of S&P Global. The selection committee may lend an ear to the needs of their firm's customers.
I'm sure it's like other industries. The guys on the committee are old friends with people in IB because they used to work there, and vice versa.

Reactions: Curt Renz
Aye caramba man, I don’t mean reasonable from MY perspective. Obviously I’m giving Tesla a future MC of multiple trillions. That’s why I’m here.

I mean “reasonable” from the market’s perspective, because that’s what dictates how quickly SP ascends. My point is simply that we know where this is going, but it’s the opinion of a lot of other investors, most far less informed than this forum, on when Tesla gets to have whatever forward-looking MC is in question.

OK then. From the "market's perspective" a reasonable price is whatever range it happens to be trading in at the moment. You will never make much money always worrying about what the market finds reasonable. Do your own analysis and decide whether the current price is worth it or not. You make most of the money when the market is wrong.

Reactions: gabeincal
OK then. From the "market's perspective" a reasonable price is whatever range it happens to be trading in at the moment. You will never make much money always worrying about what the market finds reasonable. Do your own analysis and decide whether the current price is worth it or not. You make most of the money when the market is wrong.

Again, I’m not sure how I came across as wondering whether the price is worth it for me. I was simply wondering aloud (as I often do) when the market would come around to appreciating a pretty simple forward-looking projection on ONLY auto revenue in 2022.

In this context the two words are as good as interchangeable. Because "reasonable" is a value judgement just as "fair" is. There is no answer, as I said, it depends upon how likely you think a great outcome is (and how great that outcome will be). There is certainly plenty of room for reasonable disagreement here, you just have to decide whether you want a piece of the pie depending on how likely a positive scenario is.

Some people who think they understand Tesla could feel "reasonable" while valuing it at $250. Personally, I think I know more than they do and I don't find that "reasonable" at all. They do. So what? That's their right and they won't own the revenue stream as I will.

Some people wouldn't sell tomorrow at $5,000, I probably would. $250 to $5,000 is a twenty fold difference. What's reasonable? Only those willing to put real money on the line get a vote. Currently the "vote" stands at $1,627. It can and will go up or down from there. I know it sounds like I'm stating the obvious (and I am) but it needs to be said. There is no "reasonable" when the potential outcomes have such a wide range. Because no one can see the future. But those who are best at figuring out what the future looks like, end up with the most money.

I'm confident the more bullish TSLA investors will end up with more money than the more doubtful ones. Time will tell.

Well said...there is nothing wrong with taking some off the top if you make a lot per SP...however, do you want to risk the run up like we had the past 2 days trying to get back in at a certain price? If you are long term, best to just ride out the highs and lows until you 'really' need the cash for something. Even then, i am sure there are other stocks in your portfolio you can sell for that..unless of course you are 100% diversified in $TSLA.

Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
Well said...there is nothing wrong with taking some off the top if you make a lot per SP...however, do you want to risk the run up like we had the past 2 days trying to get back in at a certain price? If you are long term, best to just ride out the highs and lows until you 'really' need the cash for something. Even then, i am sure there are other stocks in your portfolio you can sell for that..unless of course you are 100% diversified in $TSLA.

Indeed. And investors need to keep in mind tax considerations, especially whether gains are long-term or short-term. The tax difference can be significant. :eek:

Most of us have seen the infmouse Cramer interview on market manipulation but for those who haven't here ya go.

why the hell are you using a faux broker
RH is definitely a real broker. It's just that we aren't the customer. :p

Sometimes I have potato that I’m snorkel but gorblatz can pumice me because the plumbus coming out of my whosawahts are swhifty.
Why would you think that?