Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After-action Report: Wed, Aug 12, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "TSLA Roars After Stock Split Announcement"

Traded: $33,275,565,260.86 ($33.28 B)
Volume: 21,930,412
VWAP: $1,517.33

Closing SP / VWAP: 102.51%
(TSLA closed ABOVE today's Avg SP)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM = $289.748B / $192.389B = 150.61%​

TSLA 1-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $278.62
TSLA 6-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $170.53
Nota Bene: Elon's CEO comp. plan 2nd tranche vested July 24, 2020

'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 50.2% (50th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short/Total Volume = 45.3% (47th Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 1.40% of Short Volume (52nd Percentile Rank)​

View attachment 575621

Comment: "But not all MMs have capitulated, it seems"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

Hello, I've always been curious about the "FINRA Short/Total Volume = 45.3% (47th Percentile rank Shorting)" in your report. Does that refer to the how much of the volume that day were shortselling transactions? I am curious because web sites like https://fintel.io/ss/us/tsla has yesterday's short volume at around 22% but yours is 45%.

Thanks!

Moving on, spit is old aleady. Any chance we return to a Fri sell off and a Monday ralley?

I honestly have a hard time seeing any big sell off. Not saying we'll continue rally 5%+ every day and that we can't sell off 2-3%. But the function of this stock split makes it a continual buying pressure function. By saying the stock will not trade at the new split price until Aug 31st, the expected buyers at the "lower" share price can't start buying until Aug 31st. Until Aug 31st, I'd say it's pretty dangerous for shorts or option makers to try and step in...at least in a big way to drop the price

I honestly have a hard time seeing any big sell off. Not saying we'll continue rally 5%+ every day and that we can't sell off 2-3%. But the function of this stock split makes it a continual buying pressure function. By saying the stock will not trade at the new split price until Aug 31st, the expected buyers at the "lower" share price can't start buying until Aug 31st. Until Aug 31st, I'd say it's pretty dangerous for shorts or option makers to try and step in...at least in a big way to drop the price
Never thought about it this way. Thanks!

Reactions: capster

Unless they get word that S&P isn’t happening now or until a certain timeframe. Then they would have a window before Battery Day to try and drive the price down. In that light the split almost acts as a defensive move, though I doubt that is the motive behind it.

• Helpful
Reactions: oldTAVguy
Most of us have seen the infmouse Cramer interview on market manipulation but for those who haven't here ya go.

RH is definitely a real broker. It's just that we aren't the customer. :p

Why would you think that?

Even though I watched the original, I thought this was worth watching. Steven pointed out things I missed initially. Definitely it hit me harder on how terrible the SEC is at their job.

Hello, I've always been curious about the "FINRA Short/Total Volume = 45.3% (47th Percentile rank Shorting)" in your report. Does that refer to the how much of the volume that day were shortselling transactions? I am curious because web sites like https://fintel.io/ss/us/tsla has yesterday's short volume at around 22% but yours is 45%.

Thanks!
I provide a link each day to the FINRA source document. You can follow it yourself, search for TSLA, and do the math.

There is no other source. Other websites must get data from FINRA.

The percentile rank is based on FINRA short volume dataset from Jan 31, 2020.

Unless they get word that S&P isn’t happening now or until a certain timeframe. Then they would have a window before Battery Day to try and drive the price down. In that light the split almost acts as a defensive move, though I doubt that is the motive behind it.

I'd say the wouldn't have an "all clear " to start really trying their shenanigans until Sept 7th. The post split stock price will be reflected on Aug 31st and then you could expect a good amount of buying pressure Sept 1st through that Friday, Sept 4th. At that point, sure there would be a week or two window for them to try and drop the price until Battery Day. Who knows where's the stock price is at that point. They might be working to get the stock down from a level of 2,000(pre split stock price equivalent)

Does anyone know the date that the S&P committee conducts their Sept meeting?

I'd say the wouldn't have an "all clear " to start really trying their shenanigans until Sept 7th. The post split stock price will be reflected on Aug 31st and then you could expect a good amount of buying pressure Sept 1st through that Friday, Sept 4th. At that point, sure there would be a week or two window for them to try and drop the price until Battery Day. Who knows where's the stock price is at that point. They might be working to get the stock down from a level of 2,000(pre split stock price equivalent)

Does anyone know the date of that the S&P conducts their Sept meeting?

You think that if they got word right now that S&P wanted to see another quarter or some such nonsense, they wouldn’t do it now? That the split is THAT protective?

I know this is a completely speculative discussion but I’m always interested in hearing how people perceive MMs to operate.

EDIT: Nice bounce off 1600.

You think that if they got word right now that S&P wanted to see another quarter or some such nonsense, they wouldn’t do it now? That the split is THAT protective?

I know this is a completely speculative discussion but I’m always interested in hearing how people perceive MMs to operate.
I'd say there'd be a sell off IF such an announcement is made. Remember it's not just MMs that have stakes. We do have some traders left that will easily bail in the meantime. I don't think that's ever happened though. Now if we're talking about insider trading, that'd be bad all around.

I think it would be wasted money to try and counter the buying pressure until Sept 7th, even if they knew S&P wasn't going to do inclusion until say Oct or Nov. Now if they knew that, sure after Sept 7th I could see a huge bear raid. But you have to think of it from their perspective....how can I use my funds to distort and drop the price the most effective. Trying to do it against a wave of buying pressure isn't well thought out on their part. I could see them doing things to try and cap gains/rally's in the stock by a few % pts each time until the buying pressure has been exhausted and then do a bear raid.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodisgood

Does anyone know the date that the S&P committee conducts their Sept meeting?
I don't think we have to wait till September, yet. Let's get through August first. In May they made separate announcements 10 days apart (12th and 22nd). They just made 2 on Tuesday the 11th.

I am starting to entertain the idea that naked shorted synthetic shares were legion, and that we will see a significant share price rise, probably steady for a bit and then ALL AT ONCE, clearing these evil demon shares (that should legally probably not be a thing) from existence.

Before today I held this concept at bay, not sure if it was as dire as some sources and maths showed it to be.

Might be legit AF