Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Does anyone know the date that the S&P committee conducts their Sept meeting?
S&P Quarterly rebalance meeting is scheduled for Sept 18, 2020.

Source: https://www.nasdaq.net/PublicPages/assets/MyMID/Trade_Calendar_2020.pdf

That's the date on which the rebalancing is scheduled to occur after the market close. The public announcement of any rebalancing should occur about a week before, although that can vary. Of course the meeting occurs before the announcement.

Last edited:
SEC Filing | Tesla, Inc.

UPDATED NOTICE OF 2020 ANNUAL MEETING OF STOCKHOLDERS

TO BE HELD ON SEPTEMBER 22, 2020

Due to evolving regulations regarding travel and gatherings, we will announce more specific details regarding check-in procedures for the 2020 Annual Meeting closer to the date of the 2020 Annual Meeting. While not part of the 2020 Annual Meeting, we also expect to announce at such time additional information about the procedures for attending our separate Battery Day presentation.

Occidental Petroleum (NYSE:OXY) is an Oil Major which is down 65% YTD:

NYSE.OXY.2020-08-13.png

Simon Property Group (NYSE:SPG) is down 55% YTD, with a Mkt Cap 50% larger than OXY:

NYSE.SPG.2020-08-13.png

Last edited:
referencing: "Deciding which stock exits the S&P 100 (OEX) could be holding up the announcement of $TSLA ‘s inclusion in the S&P 500. TSLA would go in at #18 just above PYPL. With OXY ($14B, my bet) and SPG ($21B) at the bottom in market cap reporting this Mon 8/10, a decision may be near."

Seems like a stretch:
S&P 100.
The index measures the performance of 100 companies selected from the S&P 500. Constituent selection is at the discretion of the Index Committee. Generally, the largest and most stable companies in the S&P 500 that have listed options are selected for index inclusion. Sector balance is also considered in the selection of companies for the S&P 100.
Tesla may not have proved stability at this point (esp if it had only just been added to the 500).

Now the S&P 500 Top 50 is updated annually and TSLA would be part of that (if in the 500).

Funny thought:
So, what if:
S&P told Tesla that, if they issued 26M shares by Sept 22nd to help liquidity, S&P would include them in the 500 index.
Tesla agreed, and then split the stock ahead of that date.
:D

What I see is this: the higher TSLA valuation is, the larger the dollar value of TSLA that will need to get acquired by funds after S&P inclusion. It is a nice maneuver on the part of Tesla to front-run S&P inclusion with a stock split since the S&P inclusion effect is now amplified with a higher valuation based on the recent jump. I think it would be beneficial if S&P inclusion happens AFTER any other imminent positive catalysts. If Tesla posts impressive deliveries and gets a positive reception for the battery day and THEN S&P inclusion happens, the spring will not get any more compressed, just that it'll be a bigger spring. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out. Fun times!

PS: had a somewhat confusing experience. Called in to change my Model Y order to include tow hitch since the price got lowered and my locked-in price from way back then is no longer beneficial. Lady on the call said it's 6-8 weeks out (I'm on West Coast), then got a follow-up e-mail saying it'll be "not any more than a few weeks". I'm assuming they're going to do the usual end of quarter push which I finally will be able to help with :)

Last edited:
What I see is this: the higher TSLA valuation is, the larger the dollar value of TSLA that will need to get acquired by funds after S&P inclusion. It is a nice maneuver on the part of Tesla to front-run S&P inclusion with a stock split since the S&P inclusion effect is now amplified with a higher valuation based on the recent jump. I think it would be beneficial if S&P inclusion happens AFTER any other imminent positive catalysts. If Tesla posts impressive deliveries and gets a positive reception for the battery day and THEN S&P inclusion happens, the spring will not get any more compressed, just that it'll be a bigger spring. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out. Fun times!

PS: had a somewhat confusing experience. Called in to change my Model Y order to include tow hitch since the price got lowered and my locked-in price from way back then is no longer beneficial. Lady on the call said it's 6-8 weeks out (I'm on West Coast), then got a follow-up e-mail saying it'll be "any more than a few weeks". I'm assuming they're going to do the usual end of quarter push which I finally will be able to help with :)

I just looked and the hitch is still $1000. Aftermarket choices are half that.

In the spirit of eternal dry powder, I traded some shares today for Sep ‘22 1500 (300) Calls.

I couldn’t shake the thought that there could be a sizable number of interested call option buyers out there, who are currently priced out of the market.

While the split won’t create any new value on its own, substantially lower cost of entry should make the big LEAPS accessible to a much broader group of potential investors.

I’m thinking of it a bit like buying whole pizzas, and selling them by the slice.

(Not advice)

Last edited:
Dates
  • 21st - 31st Aug - Split
  • 2nd? Sep - announce inclusion
  • 9th? Sep - Inclusion
  • 22nd Sep - Battery day
  • 2nd? Oct - P&D
  • 22nd? Oct - ER
Inclusion will be after the split. Reasoning being that they will want the liquidity plus they are running out of time to do it earlier. Only 5 market days to go after today.

Be advised that the 3rd Wednesday of October is the 21st.

To explain my disagree, it depends on the tax system. Different countries can be VERY different! The UK And USA are probably similar, but other countries (EU) have different traditions, systems and tax history/case law.

Yea I see what you're saying. It would then have to be that the dividend event, even if it's not in cash, would be for example taxed on the dividend stock market value at the time of the dividend even if you didn't realize those gains. This seems super odd to tax it that way since none of the gains are realized, but I'm not at all surprised that some regulatory bodies thought that's a great idea.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Dates
  • 21st - 31st Aug - Split
  • 2nd? Sep - announce inclusion
  • 9th? Sep - Inclusion
  • 22nd Sep - Battery day
  • 2nd? Oct - P&D
  • 22nd? Oct - ER
Inclusion will be after the split. Reasoning being that they will want the liquidity plus they are running out of time to do it earlier. Only 5 market days to go after today.

FTFY:
  • Everyday for the rest of the year - Clueless analysts raising their SP targets between the $19 - $128 - $300 range

O.K. Thanks for the correction. I admit, I'm unfamiliar with the world of hybrids. But I'm sure that will be a great driving experience without electric assist for what I assume is a tiny gas engine. o_O

If Ford doesn't figure out a quick fix there will still be lawsuits.

Without charging, a PHEV becomes a conventional hybrid.

By definition a hybrid has electric assist. It charges the tiny battery pack from regenerative braking.

A Ford Kuga PHEV has 56 km of pure WLTP electric range when fully charged from a plug.*

Without plugging in it will have ~1km of pure electric range if it has enough juice then go into hybrid mode.

*Don't know if Kuga has a "charge mode" where the engine charges the battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: StealthP3D