Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice convo with my 8 year old daughter this morning:

Her: Dad, what do you do for work
Me: I design cloud solutions
Her: I don't believe you have a job
Me: Why?
Her: Cause all i see is the stock market on your monitors
Me: That's the other way we make $$
Her: I still don't believe you have a job
Me: You still want a dog?
Her: Work harder dad!!

That's me and my wife but it's me who wants the dog and instead of a dog I want a baby girl. We already have 2 boys.

Any links to where I could read up on this over the weekend?

Have not been able to confirm this with any of the sources I've found so far.

Oddly, this resource actually exists: (although I did the search as a joke) :p

Forensic Accounting For Dummies eBook: Kass-Shraibman

But seriously, if this is really happening, it's a closely held secret on the order of 2008.

You aren't going to find a text book. However, you may write one in 10 years if you work hard... :cool:

Cheers!

Last edited:

Your kid wants a dog? Now dad has a job... picking up poop. Heading in that same direction myself.

For those loaning out their shares, how will shares returned to you between August 21 and August 28. Will they be split? In your mind, you loaned out the share that was returned but since the returned share is a different certificate number that you didn’t have before the 21st it maybe an issue. I am not loaning shares out but you may want to demand the return of your shares for those with margin accounts the brokerage could be loaning out your shares without your knowledge

For those loaning out their shares, how will shares returned to you between August 21 and August 28. Will they be split? In your mind, you loaned out the share that was returned but since the returned share is a different certificate number that you didn’t have before the 21st it maybe an issue. I am not loaning shares out but you may want to demand the return of your shares for those with margin accounts the brokerage could be loaning out your shares without your knowledge

it doesn’t matter, returned or not.

going into the morning of 8/31 any open position is split, hence so are the outstanding stock borrow and loan contracts

i don’t buy it. unless there is some giant outright fraud going on it just doesn’t work that way.

...because there’s never been an elaborate fraud involving Wall Street, ever... :rolleyes:

I don’t know what if anything shady is going on or how it’ll play out, but from life experience I know the following;

When money is involved good people do things they might normally not do, including friends and family.

When money is involved not so good people definitely put forth an effort to line their pockets as much as possible.

When a lot of money is involved, all bets are off. People will quite literally kill for it.

yes but what i have trouble with in that scenario is that someone was on the buy side of that. so even if it wasn’t reported to tape, the buyer needs to receive the shares. that fail to receive is booked somewhere other than the buyers book. nscc tracks fails and either keeps them
net in house, or kicks them out broker to broker. or the short has to borrow from internal or 3rd party in order to fulfill the delivery

if the net gain on the short outpaces the borrow interest, then it’s a win.

if the stock price increases and/or becomes harder to borrow, liq dries up, the interest rate, cost to borrow increases, and the short contemplates covering

currently tesla is easy and cheap to borrow compared to past (solar city days)

So let's look what happened on Feb 4, 2020. There were about 5 M shares traded in the last 14 minutes of the main session (that's one tip off right there). An abusive seller need only 'kick the boulder' to start it rolling downhill, then they can start buying to cover on the way down. They have 2 days to deliver the all the shares they sold short. It's a sell-perpetuating bear raid, enabled by massive short selling:

TSLA.BearRaidBegins.2020-02-04.png

The daily FINRA short volume report from Feb 4th is instructive, too. Look at the volume of "Short Exempt" sales for the day. I've collected data each day going back to 31 Jan 2020 to provide sample statistics for mean, std dev, and to compute percentile rank for each session.

I've also got documentation of similar events with TSLA on ~6 other instances since Feb 2020, typically when TSLA is under the so-called protection of the 'uptick rule' (a restriction of short selling).

Regards,
Lodger

MM's stepping up the manipulation as the index recovers. To be fair they're managing so far, volume is a bit "meh", maybe everyone realises it's fixed and gave up.

These two push-downs when the index goes up are the key moves so far today that are keeping it below $1650.

Slow hand-clap if they do it, Monday is another matter...

upload_2020-8-14_17-42-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-14_17-42-17.png
    upload_2020-8-14_17-42-17.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 33
Look what happened on Feb 4th: there were about 5 M shares traded in the last 12 minutes of the day. The abusive seller need only kick the boulder to start in rolling downhill, and then can start buying to cover on the way down. They have 2 days to deliver the shares they sold short.

View attachment 576192

The daily FINRA short volume report from Feb 4th is instructive, too. Look at the volume of "Short Exempt" sales for the day. I've collected data each day going back to 31 Jan 2020 to provide sample statistics for mean, std dev, and to compute percentile rank for each session.

I've also got documentation of similar events with TSLA on ~6 other instances since Feb 2020, typically when TSLA is under the so-called protection of the 'uptick rule' (a restriction of short selling).

Regards,
Lodger
yes wasn’t that in coincidence with the filing of 4.5m shares long held by citadel ??

i get it, but doesn’t explain the theory of naked shorts that aren’t known by anyone but the short, with no long on the other side expecting the shares to settle

to all, i don’t doubt manipulation. i just doubt speculation. i’d like if we can figure out how they are doing it, what loopholes are used, and how it’s booked.