Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is it will go higher than 2000 before Friday comes to a close. I just bought some 8/21 $2400 calls on the cheap for a hail Mary squeeze play. They were only $4.25 so we'll see how this all plays out. The $1800 8/21 calls I bought two weeks ago (for $8 bucks and change) have been amazing (although I sold 1/2 of them yesterday at a nice profit).
Darn it. I was finally going to copy you and give options a try, but I never set up my Roth to do options. Now I have to wait a few days to see if I get approved.

Barron's - 17 minutes ago: Here’s the Real Reason Tesla Stock Is Soaring

Excerpt:

...Credit Suisse analyst Dan Levy wrote on Tuesday that Tesla's high stock price gives it a capital cost advantage over peers. It's an odd reason to be positive on a stock, but that was part of the Bank of America upgrade case as well. As the stock rises, it costs Tesla less in shares issued to build a new manufacturing plant.

Wall Street is supporting Tesla stock, even if the support is begrudging.

Another reason Tesla shares might be on the run is financial technology. That's Barron's new idea to help explain the " how high" portion of the Tesla stock run. Here's the thinking.

Wall Street innovates, but unlike technologies such as iPhones or 5G and, the innovations can cause volatility and unintended consequences.

For instance, the innovation of portfolio insurance helped catalyze Black Monday in 1987. The proliferation of credit default swaps helped create the financial crisis. Trading rules and automated traded were part of the story behind the flash crash of 2010.

It takes a while for traders and investors to adjust to new things.

Now, zero-commission trades and fractional share ownership on platforms such as Robinhood are new things. The precise impact is difficult to measures but it is part of the reason for volatility and wider-than-expected price swings in stocks these days -- including Tesla.

It might be a stretch, but academics will study free trading and write papers quantifying the effects later. And a new trading paradigm is as good a reason as any other.
Robinhood nonsense needs to stop. The typical account size is between 1-5k. Most of these kids on Robinhood owns fractional shares. Even if these kids went all in Tesla on Robinhood, at 500k share holders we are talking about 1.5 million shares. 99.9% of these kids can't afford the option premiums. So honestly that likes 30 mins worth of trading Tesla at current stock prices. But it's those fractional share holders right? Everyone on Robinhood can dump Tesla all at once right now and we probably will see a 20 dollar drop.

Robinhood nonsense needs to stop. The typical account size is between 1-5k. Most of these kids on Robinhood owns fractional shares. Even if these kids went all in Tesla on Robinhood, at 500k share holders we are talking about 1.5 million shares. 99.9% of these kids can't afford the option premiums. So honestly that likes 30 mins worth of trading Tesla at current stock prices. But it's those fractional share holders right? Everyone on Robinhood can dump Tesla all at once right now and we probably will see a 20 dollar drop.
That explains the last 5 min of the SP!

Famous last words (from that article, uttered in 2013):

This source, who asked not to be identified because of the sensitive nature of the task force and its work, said: “The fact that GM is studying Tesla should flatter Elon Musk, but it should also scare the *sugar* out of him. When you wake up the sleeping giant, look out.”
Mm-hmm. Elon really dodged a bullet there!

Giant go boom when you’ve tied his shoelaces together while he slept and he tries to stand up.

OT...dont know if anyone on this board watches 'House M.D.' but i was watching season 4, episode 2' and on the chalkboard, it read "Tesla was robbed"
upload_2020-8-18_9-9-41.png

On the blackboard behind house is the phrase "Tesla Was Robbed". Nikola Tesla was once offered $50,000 to create improvements for the Edison Company and after the work was finished he was not paid. Here there are two tie-ins, one is that the patient offered House $50,000 for her treatment, and two is a joke that most of the applicants for House's team are there working for nothing since chances are they'll be fired.

It's nice to know I'm in the 0.1% ;)

It's the investing equivalent of blaming avocado toast and iPhones for the housing crisis. Millennials get unjustified blame for so many things.

Generalized fsd is hard. So depending on dojo ark invest may have an aggressive timeline.

Again, the ARK Invest base case share price is $7,000 in 2024, assuming no FSD at all!

Their aggressive timeline that DOES include FSD by 2024 has a share price of $15,000.

Now, you have to ask yourself, which analysts have been eerily correct on Tesla over the last two years? And which firm has analysts that are experts in their respective technological fields (like AI and Super-computing) instead of traditional Wall Street stock analysts? That's right, the answer is the same for both questions - Ark Invest!

Now you need to ponder why that might be. ;)

With all the cringe stories shared, I want to share something that I personally use to kinda mitigate that.

Why do we want to sell something that we are in for the long term and we foresee future growth?

In my personal opinion, unless you need the fund, it's for that adrenaline rush of you just made x based on y amount of investment. It's a huge accomplishment after all.

But then reality kicks in, it continued to climb and you feel bad or stupid.

The way I do is, with any long term investment I make is to make sure I layout some milestones/nice surprises, and award myself with "impulse".

I'm sure you all have a list of material stuff that you have the mean for it and wanted to own/do it for the longest time. You might even have saved up toward that, but once you reach the funding goal, you just aren't 100% sure to pull the trigger.

So, like today, TSLA jumped 11%. I've thought about buying a Leica camera for a long time, saved the money, but never quite committed to that final step.

Today I pulled the trigger. After maybe delaying it for 10 times after the "milestone" I originally set for this award was met. More on this later.

The way I see it is that for the sake of psychological health for long term holding, if you don't get yourself something meaningful... something that would make yourself happy... all that nearly 100x climb from IPO until today would be just a number.

There were times that I still couldn't quite pull the trigger on something... even with the fund ready and milestone reached. Like the case of my Leica camera purchase. In those case... I just put every cent I saved for that something into more TSLA stocks. :D And start saving again for that fund and see if by the next milestone, I'd finally pull the trigger.

The important thing is... if you are in TSLA for the long term, reward yourself in some way that you enjoy the achievement of your TSLA holdings than just a number. I use these "rewards" instead of selling my TSLA holding to get that sense of achievement.

These rewards are those things that I can certainly live without, but definitely nice to have them in my life.
Agreed. I did that by giving myself my P3D. I strongly recommend if your going to sell stock and you don’t have a Tesla car then give yourself a treat and buy one.

If I had a dollar for every dumbass who told me I was stupid because I didn't think selling at 1k and "waiting for it to go back to $300 to buy back in" was a good plan, I'd be able to buy 1/10th of a TSLA today.
I sold at $1150 and was planning to wait for 2nd wave of COVID19 to happen and get the stock to 500, finally bought back at $1550.
At least I can see my mistakes

Again, the ARK Invest base case share price is $7,000 in 2024, assuming no FSD at all!

Their aggressive timeline that DOES include FSD by 2024 has a share price of $15,000.

Now, you have to ask yourself, which analysts have been eerily correct on Tesla over the last two years? And which firm has analysts that are experts in their respective technological fields (like AI and Super-computing) instead of traditional Wall Street stock analysts? That's right, the answer is the same for both questions - Ark Invest!

Now you need to ponder why that might be. ;)
Okay, see arkk invest changed their price targets. It used to be 800 dollars a share without robotaxis when Tesla stock was in the 200s. So I thought that 7k pt had robotaxis.