Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, not funny story. On my way out the door early this morning, I opened the balcony door about 4” so the cat could go out on the ‘enclosed’ balcony (no, the cat isn’t loose wandering the neighborhood, peeing in people’s shrubs — he stays on the balcony) so he could get some fresh? smoky air.

I return home a few hours later and my spouse is informing me that shortly after I left all the smoke alarms in our home started going off. Oops.

Yeah, the smoke is as bad, maybe worse, than it was from the Paradise fire. :(

He forgot to mention how he let the bacon burn in the cast-iron skillet for an hour.

https://twitter.com/garyblack00/status/1296001784746594304
"Today is last day S&P can announce $TSLA is joining the S&P 500 pre-split if it wants to give indexers same lead time (6 trading days) it gave $FB when added Wed 12/11/13 for Fri 12/20/13 inclusion. FB at $170B mkt cap and 70bp was last S&P add anywhere near $TSLA 90bp add size."
This is it, one more chance before 12 days of nothingness.
12 days of nothingness - chance would be a fine thing.

Reactions: gabeincal
Ummmmmmm.....

upload_2020-8-19_14-36-24.png

Can I just vent a little of my frustration with the Bay Area here?

First we have Covid so everyone is more or less stuck out home.

Then for the past days straight it's been reaching about 100 degrees here on the Peninsula (south of SF, north of San Jose). This area is known for having relatively mild weather historically, so much so that most of houses built mid-century have absolutely shitake for insulation and no AC. There's not even space in walls / ceilings to add AC - people either add it onto their roofs (very ugly) or during a full renovation.

But usually most people in this area don't even have it because the hot days were never that hot and too few inbetween. Now it's getting more frequent. And PG&E can't even handle the electrical demand so they are shutting off people's power again.

This is in arguably the most expensive market (outside of Manhattan) in the U.S.

Then Saturday night there was a totally freakish thunderstorm that came in (it wasn't even anywhere on forecast Saturday) and the lightening struck 2000 times in the Santa Cruz mountains, starting a whole bunch of fires.

Now that smoke is covering most of the Bay Area (trapped in by mountains) and the air quality is horrific.

So here we are, it's too effing hot with no central AC. Can't hang out outside. And portable / wall unit ACs will just pump in more of this trash air. Oh and the power might go out again.

The connection to Tesla is of course global warming, poor grid stability, and heck even not good enough options of AC systems / filtration.

Even the Bay Area needs Tesla.

May I recommend a mini-split air conditioning system?

The indoor units install easily on a wall or ceiling with a small condensing unit on the outside of the house (ground or wall mounted). They’re extremely quiet and offer better energy efficiency than the best central units. Multiple zones allow you to condition the rooms you want, saving even more money and reducing the impact on the grid. Their low electrical requirements make them ideal for houses with solar and could be powered by Tesla Powerwalls. They’re available in sizes from 9,000 BTU (0.75 ton) to 60,000 BTU (5 tons) and up to five zones per system with energy efficiency ratings up to 22 SEER.

Stay safe out their. Friends in the Bay Area have been sharing pictures of the smoke and it looks quite unpleasant and downright dangerous for the folks in the immediate vicinity of the fires.

I can see 2 issues for GM and Ford...

1) Customer Brand Loyalty/value for Money - when Chinese EVs are just as good for less money, and Tesla EVs are better for the same money, will customers still buy GM/Ford?

2) Where will they get the batteries?

When push comes to shove on EVs Chinese battery makers will favor Chinese EVs makers etc, basically having battery factories in you home country locally owned is an advantage. Lots of European battery factories are being built... Tesla will be making their own batteries.

GM and Ford can always do something about batteries... but they need to get moving on that.

I do wonder where the point is that a majority of people break their brand loyalty. to your question #1, to me it seems like Chinese ICE vehicles are not that different from GM/Ford, but most people in US still buy GM/Ford even thought they cost 2-3x the price.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Basically this has already been addressed by a well informed poster on this forum:- Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

But people seem to be confusing HW4 with Dojo... we don\'t know if Tesla is even designing custom chips for Dojo.

if you imagine that Tesla would somehow use the latest technology to design and build something worse than their current product,, you need to re-read this entire thread from the start.

Pierre (TSLA analyst) claims DOJO uses Nvidia chips

upload_2020-8-20_10-25-41.png

There you have it folks. Starting a Car company is easy. Elon is just a whinny baby. Guess his prediction of being successful of less than 10% chance is just being dramatic. And companies like Byton and Fisker were just an outlier.

Aren't there several large Chinese car companies (including EV maker BYD) that started around the same time Tesla did that are thriving?

Cramer on $TSLA today:

"If you can develop a battery that lasts for 2 thousand miles, then Tesla for the first time ever, has developed a car that is not a car. It has developed a device that gets you from A to B without carbon. And then you ask yourself Why is Tesla only worth $350 billion? Should be worth more"

What a dumb comment by Cramer - he is going to look very silly if he keeps pushing that before battery day - if he indeed means a 2000 mile on a charge Tesla.