Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't plan one of my accounts this way LMFAO:

View attachment 582198

Now that there are no trading commissions, I bought all of the positions in all of her ARK funds excluding TSLA in a $40K rollover IRA and another account. I created a spreadsheet (yes, I was bored that day) so I could weight it properly. This way I can see the impact of individual names over time - I didn't do this to save on ARK's fees. I bought these on 7/13/2020:

View attachment 582204
View attachment 582209

So far, I have an almost 5-bagger from one of the biotechs held in a different account that has smaller initial investments:
View attachment 582210

What I did is combine the holdings in all ARK funds and add them up if the same stock was held in more than one fund. Then I eliminated TSLA, and calculated the weight of each one. Then I purchased all of them. I plan to "rebalance" every quarter. However, if a stock is outperforming, then I will leave it alone and not sell any of it.
THAT is a great idea. I wished that ARK had more non-TSLA funds. You created your own. I am going to do something similar.

I think Fidelity must have been getting a lot of phone calls. Now they posted this pop-up when you log in:

View attachment 582222
the most up to date and accurate information. Your Todays Gain/Loss, Total Gain/Loss and Cost Basis information on the Positions tab will be fully up to date by Tuesday at market open.

So that is what investing in equities is, "the experience", like "$TSLA: The Experience". Brokers are simply providing us, bored consumers, with "an experience". I guess I should go back to my Fortnite game then since it is a better "experience".

$TSLAQ people must really enjoy their masochistic experience! I think the incredible rally we've seen recently will attract a whole new generation of $TSLAQ shorties. Should be fun to watch!

I'm angry about my Schwab Experience showing me that my AAPL and TSLA have multiplied by 4 and 5 respectively, and their share price has divided by the same proportions. I demand the enhanced experience other brokers are offering where my portfolio is suddenly worth multiples of what it was yesterday (Fidelity, Vanguard, TD Ameritrade) or is now worth negative numbers (Robinhood)! Stupid Schwab, if I wanted accurate numbers in my portfolio, I would have asked for them! Stop ruining my experience!

Also Apple deleted your Fortnite Experience a few weeks ago. Tim Apple had to show Tim Sweeney who's the boss of their platform.

Has anyone seen this older episode from Now You Know from May, 2020 about Battery Day? Their thesis is that with the million mile battery, Tesla can use cars as powerwalls (one car = 5-7 powerwalls) when they are not being used. Tesla could pay the car owner for the use of their battery or subsidize the cost of the battery for the right to use it for storage when it isn't being used. You could specify how much energy you needed for travel and Tesla could use the rest for storage, in decentralized grids. Tesla becomes a utility, for example filling in peak power needs at a much cost. Having millions of 70-100Kw mobile battery storage units (the million mile lifetime means an owner doesn't need to worry about the battery being worn down) without having to produce extra batteries solely for the grid. If you didn't want to use your new Tesla as an autonomous taxi, it could become part of the grid for the 95% of the time you are not using your car. If the value of this comes off the purchase price, then, unless another car maker can do the same thing, the game would seem to be over.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone seen this older episode from Now You Know from May, 2020 about Battery Day? Their thesis is that with the million mile battery, Tesla can use cars as powerwalls (one car = 5-7 powerwalls) when they are not being used. Tesla could pay the car owner for the use of their battery or subsidize the cost of the battery for the right to use it for storage when it isn't being used. You could specify how much energy you needed for travel and Tesla could use the rest for storage, in decentralized grids. Tesla becomes a utility, for example filling in peak power needs at a much cost. Having millions of 70-100Kw mobile battery storage units (the million mile lifetime means an owner doesn't need to worry about the battery being worn down) without having to produce extra batteries solely for the grid. If you didn't want to use your new Tesla as an autonomous taxi, it could become part of the grid for the 95% of the time you are not using your car. If the value of this comes off the purchase price, then, unless another car maker can do the same thing, the game would seem to be over.

Any thoughts?

Only thought is that current Teslas do not allow for vehicle-to-grid aspect. Like, the boards on the chargers literally can only go one direction (power in, no power out). So if Tesla makes this change to the chargers (to allow V2G) we would have known by now. (Sandy Munro, etc. do teardowns)

Not saying it won't happen, but it will not be an OTA update and suddenly Tesla is a utility. It'll be a new hardware feature to come.

Only thought is that current Teslas do not allow for vehicle-to-grid aspect. Like, the boards on the chargers literally can only go one direction (power in, no power out). So if Tesla makes this change to the chargers (to allow V2G) we would have known by now. (Sandy Munro, etc. do teardowns)

Not saying it won't happen, but it will not be an OTA update and suddenly Tesla is a utility. It'll be a new hardware feature to come.

The cars can't output AC, but they could output DC. Which would require a new EVSE that had an inverter in it. Of course, you would likely need a Gateway device anyhow, so they could enable V2H/V2G with a new EVSE/Gateway install at the home. (Of course it wouldn't be cheap.)

Just a minor correction, the AC to DC rectifier in the current fleet is not capable of bidirectional flow. But the DC to DC circuits used for Supercharging are capable of bidirectional flow. This wouldn't allow a vehicle from the current fleet to operate as a Powerwall by itself, but if Tesla were to design a DC charger (a relatively slow home Supercharger) with a built-in inverter, the current fleet could be used for V2G.

And the external inverter is actually how all current V2G pilots work. The only issue is that these external inverters are relatively expensive (~$4,000). For e.g. Wallbox Quasar bidirectional home DC charger will turn EVs into a huge Tesla Powerwall - Electrek

Any thoughts?
Vehicle to Grid ( V2G ) has been widely speculated to be a long term plan along with teslas AutoBidder software Autobidder

1) For the Cathie Wood defense of her Portfolio Management strategy, look upthread a day or so for a post from @Artful Dodger

2) Not attacking ARK, just point out that how her firm manages portfolios may not be optimal. It depends on your goals, objectives, and risk tolerance, among other things. Remember, I said "interesting" - I was hoping to spark further discussion on portfolio management, not that she is wrong.

3) Just because they load up on TSLA doesn't mean their portfolio wouldn't have some value. Since they understand the business so well and have multiple analysts looking at it daily, they might be able to spot trends, hiccups, roadblocks, or new opportunities faster than an individual investor.

4) You're wrong that "following Buffett's strategy" means investing now in the same companies he has in the past. His STRATEGY is to invest in businesses you understand, that are resilient to competition, etc. As I clearly pointed out, the companies HE understands are different than the companies WE understand.

See point #3, above. I'm not saying her entire fund should be Tesla. I'm not even saying she should change her firm's rules. I'm saying that maybe those rules aren't optimal, and providing opinions from another successful investor as counterpoint.

You should say "maybe those rules aren’t optimal for you." It's a subjective risk/reward balance.

Dave's video @Artful Dodger linked to is one of his few I disagree with. He is basically saying that Tesla is infallible and you're crazy if you don’t invest 100% of your finances in them. I can think of a half-dozen (hopefully low-probability) black swans that would stop TSLA growth in its tracks. Do I want to bet 100% of my family's finances in TSLA? I do not. You may. That's fine. As I say, it’s subjective.

Dave also clearly does not understand the ARK TSLA assessment that he criticizes. The $7000 expected value is a statistical construct made up of many scenarios of various probabilities. Some of these scenarios assume a real probability of low growth. Dave seems to think that ARK is convinced of that valuation (100% certain) by the end of 2024, so diversification is a disingenuous tactic to make money from portfolio management fees. ARK's assessment actually gives that valuation a probability of less than 75%.

ARK gives some options for those of us who are uncomfortable with near-100% investment in TSLA. Their returns seems to be impressive, and the quality of their analysts is orders of magnitude higher than run-of-the-mill Wall St types.

My etrade doing the same, it says I have $16 million dollars worth of TSLA.

I'm sticking to my Fidelity Active Trader "Pro" Experience where it shows that I have eight figures worth of $TSLA, instead of Fidelity's mediocre Firefox Experience or my puny little Schwab Account.

My wife has been telling me for a couple of years (ever since she saw a notification email that I'd paid $258/share to buy more on 4/2/2018) "we have enough Tesla stock". "Stop buying more in case something bad happens to the company, etc." When we have an argument, she threatens "I'm going to buy a Mercedes!" just to piss me off.

She doesn't pay any attention to our STONK accounts. I'm thinking of saying, "Dear, I have a confession to make... I bought A LOT more Tesla stock after you told me not to" and then show her the giga-figures in one of our Roths to get her reaction haha. (Her idea of "investing" is buying CDs. She sold $100K "Jumbo" CD's at American Savings Bank while getting her MSCS at SFSU back in the day...)

Thanks for all the quick and informed replies on the Battery Day video thesis. We are in the process of having three powerwalls installed (in the permitting process right now). With our power usage we qualify for 3 powerwalls and the associated Federal tax credits and state (CA) rebates, reducing the cost by around 55%. We should save significantly from reducing our peak power usage to about zero by storage solar energy and cheap night time energy in the powerwalls and using that energy for our peak power needs. In addition we have been and will continue to charge our MS at the night rates. In northern California the peak power rate is four times the night time rate, so it is a big savings. We've had our solar system for 11+ years (from Solar City before we ever heard of Elon or Tesla) and it paid for itself after six years. I figure we should pay for our powerwalls in a similar period of time, maybe a bit sooner, given the direction of electricity rates.

In addition, a very important use of the Powerwalls is as a backup in the event of a power failure or shut down (more frequent in our area because of the threat of wild fires and higher temperatures from global warming. We project that our powerwalls will provide about 2-3 days of power plus additional days from charging up from our solar panels when they are producing more than we need. If this V2G comes to pass, then for maybe $4K for the convertor you could have a backup - much cheaper than a set of powerwalls and much more storage capacity (1 PW =13.5 kwh). With a million mile battery and no issue with charging and discharging cycles, you would also be able to arbitrage cheap nighttime energy into the car and expensive peak daytime energy out of the car.

If this V2G comes to pass, then for maybe $4K for the convertor you could have a backup - much cheaper than a set of powerwalls and much more storage capacity (1 PW =13.5 kwh). With a million mile battery and no issue with charging and discharging cycles, you would also be able to arbitrage cheap nighttime energy into the car and expensive peak daytime energy out of the car.

With the caveat that if you have to go to work, or anywhere else, when the power is out your house loses all power.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
I'd like to point out that today is the 23rd Anniversary of the day we won the war with the machines, and Skynet was defeated...

t2-1997.jpg

Yup. No Skynet, no AI neural nets, and no backsies. :p

Cheers!