Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure about the early 2018 time frame: he was talking about fewer shorts giving opportunity to new shorts. 25% of shorts closing their positions is a late 2018 development.

My guess is that the presentation is late 2018 - but some of the data is outdated: either their short position is really old (and now in trouble), or they are trying to mislead via old data: it's hard to base a TSLA short thesis on Q3'18 financial metrics. ;)

Yes, but he also talked about the Samsung OLED screen being used in Apple's "upcoming" iPhone, which implied to me that it would be 17Q2/3

Could always treat it with a rust inhibitor, or even prime it but not paint it (so it only goes through part of the paint shop).

Yes, shipping of raw steel is not a new problem. :) What you describe is a common method, temporary anti-corrosives. Another is dry packaging, where the products are shipped in sealed bags or casks that contain absorbers for water and/or oxygen.

Last time he was on QTR podcast he said he started to short TSLA common stock again.

BTW, he was on QTR again after the delivery report, I took the bullet for the team and wasted one hour of my life listening to it.(so you don’t have to)

My notes:
  • Not only the toothbrush guy lost his mind, the host lost it too, and he don’t usually behave like that on his podcast, I wonder how big his short positions are.
  • MBS said 2109 global model 3 demand will be ~150k, competition will eat Tesla’s pie, but conveniently forgot to mention $35k M3, nor competitors’ planed manufacturing capacity .
  • Said Tesla growth story is over, Q4 profit will be lower than Q3, and Q1 will be losses again. Guess someone forgot about MY and semi and GF3, also are really bad at 4th grade math.
  • Still wish 420 tweet legal liability will dent TSLA.(as if there would be such a thing)
  • All in all, you don’t need to listen to him, he doesn’t have any remotely viable thesis anymore (Hence no link). Many members here worth more than what he manages after all.

Where'd the "heroic" button when you need it. Thanks for the summary, in recent months, QTR has become even more toxic than MBS, if that's at all possible.

I think it's more about entertainment: watching well deserved karma getting served to Spiegel is a somewhat morbid but satisfying side show.

TBH, I don't wish anyone to lose everything - I just want the shorts to **** off

:)

Actually no, I just shift my activities a bit. For sport, the stamina is still good, so I can for example still compete in local 10 km runs - and take pleasure in the fact that on the short distances my son can now outrun me. Also, I can now afford much better equipment, which to some extent can offset my lessened strength. For example a top notch wet suit for the 30 km swim trek in Morroco that I did over four days with some friends in '17:

But last year at their open doors day my son was invited to volunteer for the local firefighters. Although I am still faster than him on the obstacle course, they rejected me as a volunteer due to my age. Oh, well.

And then, of course, I am well aware that the alternative to aging is to die...

Very important to retain muscle-mass as you age and to stave-off sarcopenia. Correlation between muscle-loss and death is very strong.

Any ideas on what Elon is going to do in China this week?

Dig a hole?

Not necessary. I thought each camera has two images, one a bit later than the other. Source: teardown by the guy who knows, not Munro.

That'll be @jimmy_d Neural Networks

Come on, how can we be proper Cultists if we don't suggest that God's name is "Elon"? ;)

I'm kidding of course. He's great and all, but he's no Elon.

I thought Elon was the prophet?

So is Grimes still with Elon or not? I saw news articles (I know, I know) referring to her as his "ex-girlfriend" recently.

Maybe, they're like, *buddies*, you know?

When was this video made by Antipodes Partners shorting Tesla? Anyone seen it before?

edit: I am just wondering how the heck can Australian guys short Tesla when they have seen what powerpacks did in their country

I think mid 2017

I just did. Waste of time, to put it bluntly.
To answer your other question- it was done probably at the beginning of 2018. There was a slide showing 2017 data and TSLA related numbers didn't have Model 3 share in them.

They are long Hyundai, so there is that.

Not a waste of time, IMO, but interesting to see how mis-informed they are on something they've decided to short!

In the video they are blatantly lying or misleading about several things:
  • FAIL #1: they add hybrid ICE vehicles (a dead-end technology) to make Tesla's market share appear small...
  • FAIL #2: they compare income P/E ratio to ICE OEMs, ignoring cash flow and margins.
  • FAIL #3: they pretend Tesla needs capital markets for growth, ignoring the Shanghai Gigafactory that is financed through local loans and ignoring the 6-8 billion dollars cash flow Tesla can make in 2019 for growth capex.
  • FAIL #4: their slide says $60b valuation, which is $350 share price. Video is dated yesterday, $318 share price.
  • FAIL #5: they claim all the batteries and the IP is owned by Panasonic - while in reality the IP is shared and Panasonic's output is exclusive to Tesla: Panasonic is not allowed to make 2170 cells for other carmakers at Tesla's Gigafactory.
So it's dishonest or misinformed arguments throughout, we heard them all before - nothing new in there. I watched the video so you guys don't have to. :D

My guess: their short position must be in trouble if they are publishing their thesis - they want more shorts to jump on board and help them drive down the $TSLA price.

Indeed, and they short Tesla based on this nonsense. Better hope their Samsung and Hyundai long offsets the loss...

Note what Elon says in this panel.
upload_2019-1-7_7-0-29.png

"higher cost versions of Model 3/Y will still be built in US for WW market, incl China."

It may mean they will be reducing the costs for 3's built in China by limiting options and other cost savings..
IE MASS production on a scale we have not seen yet.

View attachment 366909

"higher cost versions of Model 3/Y will still be built in US for WW market, incl China."

It may mean they will be reducing the costs for 3's built in China by limiting options and other cost savings..

hmm, does this also mean that the factory would be able to save money by modifying the design of Chinese-built Teslas to (for example) omit safety features that are required in the States, but not in China, or use methods or materials (glues / paints / lubricants / gasses etc) that are banned in the States but allowed in China?

View attachment 366909

An unspoken aspect: even in China, "Made In China" is not generally seen as a mark of quality. Affluent Chinese generally prefer imported goods. This approach helps keep premium Teslas "premium".

Didn't Elon promise an "advanced summon" feature that would enable your car to park itself in parking lots?

And he promised it "in 6 weeks"?

Oh yeah, that was a promise he made in October:
Tesla's Advanced Summon will be ready in ~6 weeks, says Elon Musk

Why would anyone trust ANY Elon timelines at this point?
Hum, because Master plan part 1 got delivered, and part 2 well underway, against all odds? Because SpaceX is doing seemingly impossible things as well?

No, did you read the post you replied to? Because I very clearly spelled out why they're not going to do this until absolutely forced to. And may possibly just kill off the line rather than redesigning it, depending on market needs at the time.

Tesla's capital focus is on much bigger fish: Model Y, new gigafactories for M3 and MY, Pickup, Semi, etc - and as for the high end, Roadster. Plus Tesla Energy expansion, superchargers, megachargers, leasing, and so many other things. They have massive capital needs, and the last thing they need to be doing is throwing away previous capital investments to make new capital investments that are unnecessary.

S/X are a cash source, and will continue to be used as a cash source - not a sink - until they're no longer useful, wherein they'll be replaced or killed. Don't just take my word for it, take Tesla's. They've made it more than clear that they have no plans to make any significant changes to S&X any time soon, that neither they nor Panasonic have interest in making more 18650s, that S&X won't be built in upcoming GFs (only 3 and Y), that there's no more room at Fremont, that they don't see the S/X limit as changing from 100k, and on and on.

They have no interest in sinking more money into S&X. That's not a priority, and it's been quite clear for a long time that it's not a priority. There will be incremental updates (a more "Model-3-like" interior appears to be in the works for mid-2019, for example), but don't expect any expensive, radical changes.
Have you ever wondered how many Model X Tesla could sell in Asia if they were to produce them in China at a fraction of the cost? I happen to think there is a really solid, low risk investment to be made here. Of course, Tesla is all about bringing new products to market, but this entails risks peculariar to new products and new manufacturing ramp up. So while this sort of high profile stuff is going on. Tesla could quietly build up a 50k/yr line for S/X in China and generate nice cash flow to stabilize growth.

Looking back at the Model 3 ramp, we easily lost 12 month in delays and that put the company into financial peril, punishing shareholders in the process. At that time, Tesla had no meaningful growth capacity for S/X production. Had there been a plant in Europe of China with the capacity to build ramp up an S/X line, Tesla would have had the option to ramp established products while dealing with up expected delays in ramping the Model 3. When Tesla does ramp Model Y, I sincerely hope that it will have some contingency plans to ramp 3, S or X should anything slow the Model Y. Production growth should not come to a screeching halt just because the latest, greatest product suffers a few quarters of delay. We should not keep betting the farm on the next product. All products have upside potential and can grow internationally.

View attachment 366909

Is it possible, he never plans to make the $35k Model 3 in USA ?
Maybe all cheap versions will be built in China (GF3) for WW consumption ...