Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, and the drop shows the typical patterns of a TSLA bear/short raid:
  • Artificial pre-market peak to unrealistic highs not supported by macro (possibly executed via European secondary markets to evade SEC monitoring),
  • very high volume open of almost half a million shares that capped the price,
  • the moment NASDAQ turned sour (in fact a minute before it ...), aggressive market orders marking down the $TSLA price on only average volume - exaggerating macro moves and feeding on weak-long stop orders at key levels,
  • prediction: price is at around $327 now, if that level holds then it might bounce back a bit at the end of day, as the accumulated intraday short position is slowly distributed back to not hold that much of an overnight short position.
@Papafox might concur. If the SEC ever wanted to investigate irregularities on $TSLA trading then today would be a prime example. ;)
It’s also amazing that everything bounced except Tesla. So manipulated

Reactions: Mobius484
Maybe the greater China region includes Japan, etc.?
Hey move this discussion to politics, :D
Still not sure why they built so close to the coast. It's not like they need to export cars via ships.

I am sure it can be built earthquake-proof. They actually have some experience at that with GF1 (and I suppose Fremont probably has a lot of that built-in) And earthquakes aren't increasing in frequency or severity. I'm more concerned about Typhoons... which are.

Most of big cities in China has a port by sea or river, or is very close to one, so transportating cars with ships within China is still very possibly cheaper than other ways.

People need to stop speculating natural disaster risks for the GF3 location.
  • Earthquake risk in Shanghai is practically unheard of. The biggest shake Shanghai experienced in recent history is the one happened in Sichuan in 2008, go look on maps and see where it is.
  • Typhoon in China is reserved for southern parts, like Guangdong, not Shanghai, it gets heavy rain sometimes, that’s about it.
  • Tsunami could be a risk, but again without earthquake it’s highly unlikely.
  • Sea level rising is a risk, but if that’s happened to the degree of impacting the GF3, Tesla already failed it’s mission.

Last edited:
Still not sure why they built so close to the coast. It's not like they need to export cars via ships...

A number of reasons:

1. Many Japanese manufacturers, Panasonic for example, have their China production in Dalian, a terrible land route but simple sea voyage.
2. Many components will be sourced from the US, and a nice location with docking will be ideal for that purpose.
3. GF 3 will supply mainland China, and several main markets are most easily reached by sea.
4. GF 3 will, said Elon, supply "...other Asian countries." Every one of those is best supplied by sea.
5. Added emphasis on point 3. Shenzen and Hong Kong alone are really major markets. How do you think most industrial products from other parts of China reach those places?

There are three reasons, but there are probably more.

The picture he references doesn't mention 12 month Libor, just LIBOR + Margin. It is highly unlikely for an auto facility with assets paying monthly to base Libor on 12 months. The reference to commercial paper is another give away that they likely use shorter term periods. Many warehouse providers (funders of the tesla warehouse facility) often raise their own money through conduits (warehouses issuing commercial paper notes to then fund the tesla (an other) watehouses). These notes are short term (usually no more than 3 months) and will also be based on a libor matching their tenor, the funders want libor paid on the warehouses they use to fund tesla to match their conduit funding warehouses to minimise basis risk.

Yah, Vlad the "genius" never bothered to read the underlying contract.
tsla-ex104_461.htm

Relevant excerpts include:
The outstanding principal amount of each Loan shall accrue interest on each day at the then applicable Interest Rate. Whether any Loan is funded or maintained hereunder at the Short-Term Note Rate or Bank Interest Rate shall be determined in the sole discretion of the applicable Group Agent for the Lender funding or maintaining such Loan.

Short-Term Notes” shall mean the short-term commercial paper notes issued or to be issued by or on behalf of a Conduit Lender to fund or maintain the Loans or investments in other financial assets...

“Bank Interest Rate” shall mean, for any day during any Interest Period for any Loan (or any portion thereof), an interest rate per annum equal to the Eurodollar Rate on such day...

Eurodollar Rate” shall mean with respect to an Interest Period, an interest rate per annum equal to the rate for one-month deposits in Dollars, which rate is designated as “LIBOR01” on the Reuters Money 3000 Service as of 11:00 a.m., London time, two (2) LIBOR Business Days prior...

Earthquake risk in Shanghai is practically unheard of.

Low, but not "practically unheard of". It's about the global average risk. More than Florida, less than Arkansas. I guess perhaps in your lexicon you call the global average "practically unheard of"; if so, fine.

Typhoon in China is reserved for southern parts, like Guangdong, not Shanghai

False. The last time this came up I posted typhoon tracks. Major typhoons have hit both north and south of Shanghai in recent decades, and lesser typhoons have caused severe damage in the city. Pretty much every year something forms that has a potential track into the city, even though most years nothing strikes the city or its surrounding areas (similar to any specific place on the US gulf coast). Risk level, similar to that of south Texas.

it gets heavy rain sometimes, that’s about it.

Describing the most flood-prone major city on the Earth as "gets heavy rain sometimes" is silly.

Tsunami could be a risk, but again without earthquake it’s highly unlikely.

False (concerning the "without an earthquake in Shanghai" part). While Shanghai itself does not have an excessive earthquake risk, it's located close to the Ring of Fire. The specific risk area is the Ryukyu Trench, ~810km / ~500mi to Shanghai's southeast. The coastline would offer some attenuation, but hardly "protects" the city, as tsunamis ripple around barriers.

That said, in any given year, the odds of a major earthquake and tsunami in the Ryukyu Trench that would affect Shanghai is quite low - probably one in several hundred. That said, given Shanghai's vulnerability to flooding, even a small tsunami would be devastating. That said, Shanghai's main flooding risks are A) river and B) typhoon floods; even a small tsunami is very much a long shot.

Sea level rising is a risk, but if that’s happened to the degree of impacting the GF3, Tesla already failed it’s mission.

That's not how sea level rise problems work. Every year they tack on additional height to your existing floods. Every three years (and accelerating) you tack on another centimeter to the top of the highest waves during the highest floods, making it that much more likely that your flood defenses fail and flood your site. Meanwhile, the city is subsiding by 1 centimeter per year. So a decade from now, and factoring in a bit of acceleration, the site will be 15cm (half a foot lower). So the city with the highest flood risk among major cities in the world will now have every flood be half a foot higher. A flood that normally would just barely reach the top of a dike but not flood anything? Now you're overtopping that dike by 15cm / 6 inches - not just enough to spill over, but enough to gouge out the dike and flood the land it protects. After two decades, you're looking at every flood being around 35cm (over a foot) higher.

This is not a short-term threat, but it most definitely is a long-term threat. These are assets that you expect to run for decades.

In the short-term, however, the primary threats are very simple: floods. Both river flooding and from typhoons. Typhoon winds are a secondary but very real threat.

Last edited:
No Bloomberg I'm Not a Damn Robot
Volkswagen AG is setting up its own charging and electricity unit in a bid to make the German manufacturer’s upcoming battery-powered cars more attractive to buyers.

Elli Group GmbH will supply households with renewable power and charging systems, and offer infrastructure for offices and shopping centers. Elli’s portfolio will take shape over the course of this year, with the launch timed to coincide with the rollout of VW’s I.D. electric-car line in 2020.

I agree with this. Very volatile but also range-bound between 290-380. I've just been selling puts and calls near the bottom and top, respectively, of the range. It's working very well so far.
Just be careful to hedge your risk or position size for the day it breaks the bounds. IEf: mostly if that short squeeze shows up later this year. I like the strategy though...I'm looking into doing more day trading soon...I've been mostly doing months out swing call options.