Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a positive note, the Italians are very happy no longer to be the world's laughing stock over Berlusconi, who in all things bad actually seems to be outdone by Trump.

Sorry, but the British voting for Brexit trumps them all. Politicians can be voted out after a few years, the damage of leaving the EU and the loss of human rights will last for generations.

Last edited:
It's Body In White.
The X line takes up less space and uses fewer workers and is faster than the original S line; it was intended for S & X but S was never migrated to it. If they've figured out how to migrate S to it, *but it has a lower capacity than final assembly*, that would be a logical reason to cut the 75D, lay people off of the S & X production lines, clear out nights for line reconfiguration and testing,...

The original S body line takes up a lot of space and is *very* manual even compared to the X line. You could reuse a bunch of the fancy powered tools, but it would essentially have to be redesigned from scratch. Given its factory location, I think it's more likely to be used for something else (Model 3 space needs).

This is pure speculation, of course. Perhaps I'll find out everyone they laid off is from the X body line. :rolleyes:

Shift to make room for the Y?

Reactions: Sean Wagner
Thanks for telling me to read the article when I mentioned estimated 6,000/week production rate for Model 3. Question is, can you read this chart?

View attachment 371442
Ok that one, I have no idea why anyone puts any faith into Bloomberg numbers. They are always random and adjusted whenever the real data comes out from Tesla.

As an investor in the company, if there are no plans for a S/X refresh right now I would seriously consider how much stock I own at this point because it would show to me management that is not forward enough thinking or prioritizing short term over long term too much.

If it wasn't for your upbeat ending, I nearly gave a thumbs down for this one comment.

What's with all this S/X speculation anyway. We know squat on for what this new capacity is planned. Heck, it could be to ship some equipment to China for all we know. For me, "more efficient" is all I need to know = better margins and cash-flow. (Hence the cash on hand to pay the debt comment today.)

Cash covered I suppose?

What about this instead:
- Sell Jan15'21 195p
- Buy Jan15'21 430c
Total cost ~0, Delta - 0.595,Theta -0.017, Margin- $5,961

Less risk for you and bigger upside.
Cash covered yes. I've got stuff like that in my portfolio already, In general, I am where I want to be and I'm setup for longer term.
Just looking for shorter term options, to eke out few Gs here and there, to enhance my returns and slightly grow my trading account.
Since I'd be borrowing money, I don't want to sell long-term put option, but ready to roll it out if need be...

I've sent the following link to my state, county and local police departments and their overseeing elected officials. You may want to do the same, although that may result in demand far beyond that which Tesla is currently capable. ;)

Electrek - today: Tesla Model S police patrol vehicle is going to hit the road in Fremont, save over $30,000 in gas

It's a 2014--eligible for un-limited Supercharging?

(Who wants to tell the local constabulary: "NO"? They could have other means of recourse beyond remedies available to Schiphol taxi operators--actually if the Popo would recharge at night they could be a deterrent to those who think other late night urban SC patrons might be pigeons for mischief.)

Last edited:
Agreed. Take my metro area for example. Far more pepole live and travel through KC than truly rural areas like the Dakotas.

The two planed SCs are where I live. Aside from that my options to drive South or Southwest are very limited.

View attachment 371435

In related news. 2.5 billion dollars is more money than 900 million dollars.
Your'e in Kansas - if there aren't any SCs take your house instead - Dorothy style:
upload_2019-1-24_19-52-4.jpeg

If it wasn't for your upbeat ending, I nearly gave a thumbs down for this one comment.

What's with all this S/X speculation anyway. We know squat on for what this new capacity is planned. Heck, it could be to ship some equipment to China for all we know. For me, "more efficient" is all I need to know = better margins and cash-flow. (Hence the cash on hand to pay the debt comment today.)

I should mention I'm heavily vested in Tesla along with MS and Amazon and have been adding to my shares over the past year anytime the stock price goes below 300. I actually really like Tesla's focus on efficiency and leveraging their vertical integration. I feel it gives Tesla moat in itself that is near impossible for other car manufacturers or any tech companies wanting to get into car production or FSD to replicate. Which is why it's so hard me to not think that they don't have the refresh planned out and soon to get all of their current and future cars on the same platform. There's just too many efficiency gains and additional leverage there. Also tie in the factor that I'm sure their software and UI developers want them to homogenize things like the screen aspect across Model 3/Y/S/X (horizontal verses vertical in old S/X). When I say it would give me pause for adding to my investment even more, it's just hard to rationalize why the company would move in that direction and make me question the goal/focus of management. If I'm adding even more to my overall investment in Tesla, I want to have that comfort level.

If I was just starting to accumulate my Tesla position, I wouldn't be worried/concerned about it nearly as much if that makes any sense.

Fox says it comes from inside the company (Tesla). Again, why did Tesla wait until now vs last week with the bad news... to my case, they are setting bear traps everywhere. Today was a bit of a defense IMO as we get closer.

Also, "a very troubled company..." says who? And Ford isn't? Then "What makes this different is the battery... is this price worth the battery?" Cool, I own a big battery that's so fun to charge and discharge!

I do expect this recovery to be bumpy as usual with still another week before ER, just hold tight.
I'm quite certain Tesla has more important things to work on, than to lay down bear traps.

“We recently announced that we are no longer taking orders for the 75 kWh version of Model S and X in order to streamline production and provide even more differentiation with Model 3. As a result of this change and because of improving efficiencies in our production lines, we have reduced Model S and X production hours accordingly. At the same time, these changes, along with continuing improvements, give us the flexibility to increase our production capacity in the future as needed. We’ll be providing more details on our earnings call next week.”

So tinfoil hat speculation time....let's just say I wouldn't be buying more shares based off of this speculation lol (though I would be buying more if I could right now because Tesla at this price has actually started to become a value play in addition to a growth play).

In the response from Tesla, if you wanted to try and read into it more, it actually aligns completely with a S/X refresh. The last part I bolded because I think that line is very important, in the context if that they're about to announce a refresh. As people have pointed out, the current 18650 is limited by production. Taking out the 75 kWh version doesn't really give them that much flexibility to increase production(not sure of the mix of 75 vs 100 variants). By switching the batteries along with a refresh(Spartan design just more luxurious, wiring efficiency improvement, etc..), they would be able to reduce the number of workers needed because the battery packs would be done at Gigafactory and the manufacturing/assembly would need less people because of the efficiency improvements they found with Model 3. Thus if they're saying "give us the flexibility to increase our production capacity in the future as needed" only a complete refresh would achieve that.

Now if that comment/response came from Elon himself instead of a Tesla spokesperson, I would buy into my own theory a lot more. I just have a really hard time believing that they would not want to move as quickly as possibly to realize those efficiencies. It would play into their own mission statement. By realizing those efficiencies, margins would increase even more, they would be able to increase production to greater than 100k annually, the range of the vehicles would increase and the price of the S/X would potentially be able to be dropped a bit. All of this plays into greater and faster EV adoption. I realize that the Model 3 production has been difficult and that they spent a lot of money in 2018...but it seems very short sighted to save 300-500 million short term by not doing the refresh over realizing much greater revenue and profit long term. The main reason I think they've held off a long as they have is the shortage of 2170 batteries. But that bottleneck is being resolved and should be able to increase by start of Q2 hence why I think they're setting up to debut the S/X refresh as Model Y reveal and go on sale beginning April 1st (more introduction of Mid-range and also Short-range being introduced should counter balance the greater production numbers of Model 3. Higher number of Model 3's being production but the amount of batteries needed not increasing at the same rate due to this mixture)

As an investor in the company, if there are no plans for a S/X refresh right now I would seriously consider how much stock I own at this point because it would show to me management that is not forward enough thinking or prioritizing short term over long term too much. I would still be an investor because I think the end game is TE as much as the car segment and also once FSD comes online, the money Tesla will get from not only the Tesla network but the entertainment factor(the main screen will because a entertainment gateway of movies, live TV, etc...) will be crazy. Who knows lol. I can't wait for the earnings call and the Model Y reveal :)

Counterpoint: it could just be PR speak. Happens all the time.

I should mention I'm heavily vested in Tesla along with MS and Amazon and have been adding to my shares over the past year anytime the stock price goes below 300. I actually really like Tesla's focus on efficiency and leveraging their vertical integration. I feel it gives Tesla moat in itself that is near impossible for other car manufacturers or any tech companies wanting to get into car production or FSD to replicate. Which is why it's so hard me to not think that they don't have the refresh planned out and soon to get all of their current and future cars on the same platform. There's just too many efficiency gains and additional leverage there. Also tie in the factor that I'm sure their software and UI developers want them to homogenize things like the screen aspect across Model 3/Y/S/X (horizontal verses vertical in old S/X). When I say it would give me pause for adding to my investment even more, it's just hard to rationalize why the company would move in that direction and make me question the goal/focus of management. If I'm adding even more to my overall investment in Tesla, I want to have that comfort level.

If I was just starting to accumulate my Tesla position, I wouldn't be worried/concerned about it nearly as much if that makes any sense.
Once the brain training is complete you will not worry about being over exposed to Tesla stock.

Resistance is futile.

An interesting question:
The colorado energy pack cost about 8M dollars for a 4 MegaW. That is 2000/kW. This is way above the car battery.
This is either extremely high margin (doubtful) or other cost dominates. Anyone knowledgable about this?
There’s additional costs beyond car battery costs - land, preparation, inverters (in Powerpacks), transformers/ interconnect equipment, etc. And installation labor.

One big expense they avoid is fuel that a peaking plant would require

Reactions: neroden
The rational for a customer buying in the first 2 weeks of Jan vs the last 2 weeks of Dec is very weak. There definitely would be some demand pull forward impact from the tariff step down, and that would be most significant in early Jan.
Doesn’t look like the effect was as significant as it could have been though.

Really like your posts @ReflexFunds - but here I disagree: if you are not eligible for the full tax credit the 2k reduction is worth more some +3k tax credit you won’t get...

If you should buy a Model 3 if you find yourself in this situation is a whole other question... (but then again Tesla has a knack for breaking out of defined market segments...)