Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla said 7.000 by the end of the year!
Maybe B is trying to set up increased expectations and disappointment after.
InsideEVs‏ @InsideEVs
It Seem As Though @Tesla #Model3 Production Reportedly Hit 8,000 Per Week https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-production-8000-per-week/amp/ …

DzIA-9iWoAABbs7.jpg

InsideEVs on Twitter
4:38 AM - 11 Feb 2019

Completely anecdotal evidence for the morning:

Dropping my son off at school and pull between two other Model 3s right in front of the door. A fourth one just 50 feet further down. This is a very small school in rural N. California. 6 months ago I was the only Model 3 owner in the whole school. Wish it had been possible to get a picture.

Even I doubt Tesla will get the market penetration that is happening here, but as word and cars spread, even half of that across N. America, Europe, and China.....
The only thing holding back China are the tariffs. Once that is sorted out I expect Tesla will do every bit as well there. Europe? I'm not sure. People like to mock the US flagged "you gotta buy Murican!" crowd but Europeans aren't all that different.

Reactions: ABCTG
Steve Jobs‏ @tesla_truth
You can’t fool someone...

DzH6jRHWkAA84c3.jpg

4:10 AM - 11 Feb 2019
For the record: this wasn't me. Unless I'm doing some really weird things in my sleep.
I have a friend that can't diet because he sleepwalks to the kitchen and eats. Maybe I've been trolling longs on twitter?:eek:

Ps. The "FUD destroyer Borg cube" sounds creepy but kind of awesome at the same time. All FUD will be destroyed in the end. Resistance is futile.

Or, more likely, Autopilot was never engaged in the first place and the guy just crashed his car and wants Tesla to pay for it.
That could certainly be, but if you read the article it describes exactly what happens with autosteer. If it is as you say (and that is certainly a possibility) it is a step up from previous incidents where a drunk thinks "he might have had autopilot on" or the woman who accidentally hit the accelerator while stopped, or the guy who carelessly used summon, or...

So, sure, maybe this time the person knew enough to know how it autosteer would behave and then didn't use it and blamed it for the accident. But if you were asleep at the wheel the sudden jerk of the wheel when it disengages would feel like it wrestling with you and naturally you wouldn't want to admit that you had been day dreaming/sleeping prior to that point.

I'm just going with the simplest explanation that accommodates the facts. It isn't autosteering's fault regardless. Not least because it is always the driver's responsibility to be aware and take over at any time. I use autosteer.

The worst it ever did was hard S's down the centerline when it lost its mind. But I am cognizant that it is in beta and am aware that driving is my responsibility so I immediately disengaged it and proceeded to drive without autosteer. (I've already described this incident in a prior post, but suffice to say that I'm confident the problem was the consequence of autosteer not being able to read the markings. It isn't perfect and it isn't ready yet. It is still beta.)

Supercarelessfragilelogicvexedwithlotsofmyopis©

I love it, but being OCD am troubled by one too many syllables to match “supercalifragilisticexpialadosis”. Suggest replace “lotsof” with “much” to get the cadence right so you can sing it. My humble first offereing:

SuperCarelessFragileLogicVexedWithMuchMyopsis,
When you read the news it makes you wonder what the cause is,
If they say it loud enough they think you’ll miss their purpose,
SuperCarelessFragileLogicVexedWithMuchMyopsis

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it, but being OCD am troubled by one too many syllables to match “supercalifragilisticexpialadosis”. Suggest replace “lotsof” with “much” to get the cadence right so you can sing it. My humble first offereing:

SuperCarelessFragileLogicVexedWithMuchMyopsis,
When you read the news it makes you wonder what the cause is,
If they say it loud enough they think you’ll miss their purpose,
SuperCarelessFragileLogicVexedWithMuchMyopsis

"...um diddle idle idle um diddle eye,
um diddle idle idle um diddle eye."

Dan

I disagree, depending on the PHEV. It's not a pure electric car, but...

If it's a BEVx/EREV-style PHEV like an i3 REx or a Volt/Ampera, most people only end up firing the ICE in extreme cold and when on long trips. So, for the vast majority of driving for their owners, it is an electric car.
Architecture determines classification, not usage.

A platform designed to have both an ICE and a electric drivetrain is a hybrid. Period. A car with solely a gas/diesel engine is an ICE. A car with only batteries and an electic motor is a BEV.

Just because I can taxi an airplane without ever taking off, that doesn't make it "a car sometimes".

I thought we were already at this point with the upgrade a couple months back by Mr. Left who clearly flipped. But nobody followed then.

Unfortunately, I see stronger headwinds with analysts protecting their buddies in the Automotive and Gasoline empires. Call me pessimistic, but we'd all be rich if we had a nickel every time we thought the market finally saw through all the FUD. But it just keeps coming. Unlike other stocks such as Sirius XM where the pop was predicted by many, this one has a curse that may only let up in a few years when the auto industry catches up and my neighbors tell me they are ready for electric.

That's not to say that we don't visit $380 again soon, or that TSLA splits twice in a couple years... I just honestly stopped getting excited about any good news from the media or analysts and just look at Tesla from my own perspective - long and strong. We do have looming trade, brexit, and shutdown on the horizon. Maybe today is a good day to sell a few shares on this bright spot.
I think it will be a slow march for this stock for the foreseeable future. Analysts don't understand the EV market as being the same market as ICE cars, many are politically blinded by the whole thing (climate change is a conspiracy, EVs are a liberal scam etc.), and there are strong vested interests that don't want Tesla or EVs in general to succeed.

There will be a tipping point eventually, there has to be. That point may just lag reality by a year or years.

Architecture determines classification, not usage.

A platform designed to have both an ICE and a electric drivetrain is a hybrid. Period. A car with solely a gas/diesel engine is an ICE. A car with only batteries and an electic motor is a BEV.

Just because I can taxi an airplane without ever taking off, that doesn't make it "a car sometimes".
Totally agree with what you are saying, but just to add a little first hand experience.

I owned a Volt for 5 years before getting my Model 3. My son now drives it. I averaged almost 80% of my driving over the life of the car on pure electricity. Not bad and served its purpose as a stand in against gas burners until the Model 3 came along and I could go all electric.

Dan

Wait, I am a Rivian fan and even a deposit holder but this is silly:
Tesla's electric vehicle dominance is about to have 'serious competition,' Morgan Stanley says

The theme is that “Tesla’s dominance of the EV market is unsustainable”, and will soon be “disrupted by Rivian”.

Not quoted are Rivian’s own numbers targeting delivery of 20k vehicles in 2021 and 40k in 2022, and their quotes that they are targeting the luxury pickup and SUV market, ala Land Rover, not the work site pickup.

I love the Rivian vehicles and business plan, but how is Rivian selling 40k trucks by 2023 going to disrupt Tesla’s sales of, what, 500k sedans/light suvs in that same time period? How many in Europe are going to cancel their order for a Model 3 in favor of a full-size EV pickup? At least some of the European Model 3 customers are those that have Model S and love it but wish it were smaller not larger.

Am thinking that Rivian MIGHT eventually do some big disruptive things by expanding their initial market, if their skateboard is really competitive to Tesla’s, not sure yet. Evidence so far is the spec of 400+ mile range and 0-60 in 3 sec for a heavy vehicle, and they have some good talent on-board that has been there for a while. Are there others in this space? All I see so far are, unlike Rivian, spec-ware start-ups looking for investors.

is MS, AJ working on a possibly Rivian IPO/Market funding ? Nostalgic about TSLA autonomy calls from few yrs back ....

1. SUPerCARElessFRAGileLOGicvexedWITHlotsOFmyOPis scans

so does

2. SUPerCARElessFRAGileLOGicvVEXEDwithMUCHmyOPis

So....

1. You need to cite chapter and verse where, ever, I claimed I didn't cheat?:p

Oh, and by the way...your

SupercarelessfragilelogicvexedwithmuchmyopSis
...............................................................................^...

Wotinhell are you blathering about?:D

P.S.: Thanks

Last edited: