Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
15 ships producing as much emission as all the cars in the world? Come on, recognize the fake news. It’s so obvious. If this were true it would cost millions per minute in fuel to keep just one of these ships running. Maybe there is an emission of a special pollutant from dirty crude shipping fuel that matches the emissions of the same pollutant by millions of much cleaner cars. But the notion that this is about CO2 emissions is utter nonsense.

Indeed, ship transport is actually the most energy-efficient way to move goods on Earth. Even more efficient than rail. More than an order of magnitude more than trucks. I estimated a while back that shipping Teslas from Pier 80, all the way down the coast, across the Panama Canal, across the Atlantic, to Zeebrugge - should take about the same amount of energy as shipping them from Zeebrugge to delivery centres across Europe by truck.

That's exactly my point. There are flavors to this topic and pushing Tesla into it is unnecessary.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mader Levap
Indeed, ship transport is actually the most energy-efficient way to move goods on Earth. Even more efficient than rail. More than an order of magnitude more than trucks. I estimated a while back that shipping Teslas from Pier 80, all the way down the coast, across the Panama Canal, across the Atlantic, to Zeebrugge - should take about the same amount of energy as shipping them from Zeebrugge to delivery centres across Europe by truck.

There are some reports from the new delivery center that Tesla is setting up in Hamburg harbor will be supplied from nearby rail, once it opens. They are also setting one up for Düsseldorf in nearby Neuss harbor, which also has rail lines nearby (but I have not heard any reports whether cars will be arriving by rail).

Difficult to eliminate emissions... Need to find a replacement for cement. If it could be done with solar it would be helpful. At least iron and metals are generally reusable but hard to reuse cast concrete.

I would comment that this pie is not particularly useful in its categorization IMO.

Fossil-Fuel-Emissions-Pie-Chart-529px.png

I might be wrong here... does "variable electricity" equal peaker plants? Cuz I heard of this company that makes batteries, but like big-size, industrial-scale batteries, that help flatten the demand peaks, so peaker plants may start getting shuttered soon. They recently installed one of these fancy batteries in the Australian desert and connected it to a wind farm, and they say it will pay for itself in just a few years.

Oh, and, that same company said something about battery-operated long-haul semis, so that could help with that "long-distance road transport" bit. It's weird, like they have thought about this stuff before!

But then I heard the CEO is this celebrity guy who's into pot smoking and keeps tweeting about his "big rocket", so who knows if they can be trusted...

Man, I'm still so thrilled with the EU getting Spotify rather than Slacker. I've been sitting here trying to stump it with obscure Icelandic band after obscure Icelandic band, and only succeeded once (Wesen, the short-lived side project between Júlía from Oyama and Loji from the defunct Sudden Weather Change). I mean, they even have asdfhg. - a band literally named by mashing keys on a keyboard.

I wonder if the US will be lucky enough to get Spotify at some point? Or maybe there was some sort of licensing problem?

Last edited:
One valid narrative is that North American demand for Model 3 has dropped significantly - and the $TSLAQ crowd is currently running with that narrative and there's little hard data (public anyway) that counters that narrative effectively I think: I mean, there's just 2 weeks left from February and you can still configure your dream Model 3 today with February delivery

This is an interesting point and one that i find somewhat difficult to reconcile. To me it looks like the demand in the US is there but at the lower end of the range. It will be interesting to see how the splits between variants of the M3 play out once all are available.

Details suggesting high demand:
  • Elon stating that they are not focused on increasing demand at all
  • Removal of referral program
  • Estimated increase in production this quarter to 83k
Details suggesting low US demand:
  • Yesterday's VIN registrations for the us had no AWD models, suggesting that the performance version demand in the US is tapped out for now
  • No waiting times (that i have heard of) even though the last month and a half's production has all gone abroad
  • Price reduction
  • General lag in demand after tax incentive reduction
  • Shift of production focus to China - However tariffs are likely a much bigger driver of the decision
  • Pricing up the low end version of the MS to incentivise those buyers to by performance M3

Reactions: kbM3
Honestly, that's not unreasonable... so long as it actually is proportional to the cost of the infrastructure. I mean, if you're using the grid as a backup to your solar system, you should be expected to pay for it; the grid wasn't built for free, and nor does it maintain itself. Same with those power plants that you rely on when the sun isn't shining.

Picture a system where everyone was on rooftop PV. Who would pay for the grid and backup / peaking plants - nobody?

If you want a service (aka, a grid connection), you should be expected to pay for it. Here in Iceland our power bills are broken up into grid costs and generation costs; each portion is roughly half of one's total bill.

I guess the phrase "that makes PV uneconomical" was not clear enough.

At any rate, in October last year it was reported that the new government intends to suspend this controversial 'sun tax',
Spain: Government suspends controversial 7% solar power tax

"Mañana".

PS Edit: Per the Guardian this tax has actually been suspended,
Spain plans switch to 100% renewable electricity by 2050
- so that is hardly the reason for the disappointing Model 3 sales in Spain.

Facts don't come in flavors.

Fact - Diesel engines were considered to be "green" with lower CO2 than gas engines. They were shoved to us by government policies, tax deductions, etc.

Fact - Diesel engines polluted our environment much more than we realized and lead to worse health and deaths in the population.

Fact - climate change is controversial topic (doesn't matter what side you are on).

Fact - public traded company mingled in controversial topics can lead to long term financial harm.

Bezos/Amazon is interested in reducing the time and cost of delivering to the last few miles--Rivian and whoever perfects a cost-effective EV "Sprinter" gets a look-over by Amazon.
It looks like a pretty shrewd move from both sides.

Bezos gets an EV platform which is already developed and looks very suitable to delivery vehicles (large battery packs, plenty of torque, great for stop/start transport, lower greenhouse gas emissions), they just need to scale the production. Amazon gets a platform they can put Alexa through and develop into a wider self driving range. The reduction in transportation costs would create an even wider moat for Amazon's delivery service and more than pay for the investment if their plan works out.

Rivian gets one of the best possible customers to ensure there is demand as they scale their factory - literally anyone would fund them if they have orders for 100k (i'm making this number up, but it will be large) delivery trucks from amazon. They also get access to Amazon's IT stack and coders which will be very useful to develop their self driving and machine learning requirements. Amazon van's will go everywhere which should allow a huge dataset to be build in relatively short order.

Steve Jobs‏ @tesla_truth
“Cobalt prices have fallen more than 30% in 2019 to their lowest level in two years, according to figures from Fastmarkets through Feb. 6. Meanwhile, a lithium price index dropped for the 10th consecutive month in January to a multiyear low” — @WSJ

3:51 AM - 18 Feb 2019
Steve Jobs on Twitter

Gotta keep nickel sulfate prices in check too, of course. But hopefully some of the new work on laterite processing will pay off bigtime. Tsingshan's HPAL work could be a real industry disrupter.

I guess the phrase "that makes PV uneconomical" was not clear enough.

At any rate, in October last year it was reported that the new government intends to suspend this controversial 'sun tax',
Spain: Government suspends controversial 7% solar power tax

"Mañana".

PS Edit: Per the Guardian this tax has actually been suspended,
Spain plans switch to 100% renewable electricity by 2050
- so that is hardly the reason for the disappointing Model 3 sales in Spain.

Well, I'm Spanish, I live in UK, and the most feasible reason for the disappointing Model 3 sales, IMO, is the current price point. The % of people considering price more important than value/price is higher than in other European countries.

The main Brexit question right now seems to be: which party is going to fall apart faster: the Tories or Labour?

Labour Party split: Seven MPs form 'Independent Group' and warn Jeremy Corbyn 'must not become Prime Minister'

The new anti-Brexit "Independent Group" is also trying to recruit rebellious Tories to their ranks.

If Brexit had happened under any former Labour leader, it would have been stopped by now. A crying shame that it was just at the moment a Euro-sceptic, Trotskyist was in charge (and I use the phase "in charge" loosely)

Last edited: