Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Striking a tempered glass surface with a blunt object probably will not use it to shatter.
True, a friend of mine picked up a big rock and threw it hard at a rear side window, the rock bounced off and flew maybe 10ft almost hitting another friend who had his back turned, unaware of what was happening. Took a few more tries to actually break the window. (No, we were not hoodlums, we were trying to pass a chain through the vehicle so I could pick it up with my backhoe and put it on a scrap trailer).

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
I was an EMT in college 25 years ago. We all carried a device like this one - the size of a ball point pen, spring loaded. It shatters a side window with ease.
upload_2019-2-25_12-57-15.jpeg

Window Punch with Pocket Clip | Med Lab Supply

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-25_12-54-39.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-25_12-54-39.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Um... don't police officers in the US have... you know... guns?

Even if they can't physically break the glass with the barrel, can't they... you know, shoot it out?

Aren't they trained to shoot guns accurately enough so as not to accidentally shoot a person who's not moving, from point blank range? I mean, even a Star Wars storm trooper isn't that bad of a shot...

Discharging a firearm into a vehicle where an accident has caused the cabin to be (partly) obscured by airbags and which may have placed passengers in unexpected locations is hardly helpful.

In fact, forcing a door open by shooting is reliable only with a shotgun against a not too strong (wood/glass) door (since the material around the lock and/or hinges can be weakened) and is generally only done when lethal force against anyone on the other side is justified.

Unlike glas in special effects in film the safety glass of the vehicle will hold well and generally just be punctured by e.g. several 9mm bullets.

If no suitable tool is available, a spent fire extinguisher or a jack could be beaten against the glass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucky_Man
I guess a problem with a semi
While inevitable, this is kind of sad for me. Our Volt has served us extremely well in the 6 years we have had it. When we bought our Model 3 the Volt went to my oldest son who continues to use it as his daily driver with virtually no problems (aside from the 25% degradation we have seen over the years).The Volt was a fabulous car and served as a great transition vehicle to bridge the gap to full electric power. It was probably the best thing Bob Lutz ever did for GM. I'll give him that but not much else. lol!

Dan

I'm guessing they will bring the Volt back out as a bev. Too good of a name to have go to the dust bin.

Reactions: GregRF
In my retirement I drive little more than 2000 miles per year. I would not want to be taxed as much as those who drive much more. If that were done, it would be a disincentive for low mileage drivers to buy an electric car. If mileage is recorded by a car's internal computer, with over-the-air accessibility by the manufacturer, I can see a government mandating that that information be shared with them. Then we could be taxed based on actual mileage. It's no more an invasion of privacy than our stock brokerage being required to send information about our trading to the IRS.

So why not a tax computed by a percentage of the power you purchase to charge your car away from home? Nicely incentivizes folks to use home charging, which I like, proportional to the long-distance driving that you do, and very similar to the gasoline tax except by using a percentage it will stay up with inflation. For maintenance of roads close to home, could include a modest flat tax per year.

Reactions: madodel