Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Expect a market turnaround shortly. Before to call for prayers with offering of food to Buddha and spirit of the house and immediate place radiating outwards, I underwent inspection. My SM (significant mother, sargeant major, wife) noticed my pyjama pants were wrong side out for the second time in two days. That has now been corrected. Not an advice.
How else will you keep the label from scratching you?
Ooh! Oh! I know the answer!

Q: How else?
A: By having the wrong side in .

• Helpful
Reactions: Intl Professor
Do they really get ALL the geo data (i.e. every minute or so) for ALL the radio devices in US ? That's too large a data set. May be they can get only radios that Tesla uses … or just once a day sample ? It is definitely an interesting methodology.
Who said anything about ALL the geo data. They probably only get a single location when a device switches to a different cell tower. That probably happens once the phone has traveled 6 to 10 miles, so not that often. Of course cellular signals are not "ALL the radio devices in the US" either. They probably don't even have all of the cellular devices either, perhaps just the > 3G devices from all of the major US carriers.

Is Cobalt Needed in Ni-Rich Positive Electrode Materials for Lithium Ion Batteries?

It is thought that Co and Al both play important roles in enhancing NCA material properties. However, there is no solid evidence in the literature that clearly shows that Co is required in NCA with high nickel (e.g. when 1-x-y > 0.9) content.
5% Co failed to suppress the phase transitions. First principles calculations were made to understand the function of each substituent. Accelerating rate calorimetry shows that unlike Al, Mn, or Mg, Co has no contribution to safety improvement. Therefore, we believe that Co brings little or no value at all to NCA-type materials with high Ni content (> 90% Ni in the transition metal layer) and we hope this paper will spur more interest in Co-free materials.

Speaking of stores, they didn't help my sale at all, and I bought online anyway. The guy that gave us a Model S test drive the year prior never even knew I bought one. Besides, I found myself knowing more about the car than they did, and when I later walked in for solar, they asked "who's your power provider", I said "SRP" and the response was literally, "Sorry, we can't help you." (Long story why, but really?)
With your "...really?", are you blaming Tesla and its employees for giving you that unfortunately very true statement? You do know the Long Story, don't you?

Many on this thread talk about the (non-retail) shorts as though they're some cabal of hedge funds trying to make money battling what they believe is a fake company à la Enron. But Enron didn't have a a couple of trillion-dollar industries willing to spend massive amounts of money to depress their stock and to damage the company in as many other ways as possible.

Tesla is still in the phase of growth where they're concentrating first on the product. They're beginning to transition to the phase where they'll pay some attention to the customers, as well. The culmination of Master Plan I is an amazing achievement, but it has taken all of the company's attention, and made them vulnerable in lots of ways to the forces arrayed against them. As sales increase (and they will) the pressure under the stock price will increase as well. It remains to be seen how long Chuck and Dave and their friends can keep the lid on, as they've done so successfully for the two years.

What’s your best guess?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
There were some posts about the efforts in New Mexico a few weeks back, maybe from @tinm ? I believe a pro-Tesla bill made it out of committee.

Tesla bill in limbo in New Mexico legislature at the moment. Tesla policy people are in Santa Fe this week, but it’s all hush-hush so far.

Tesla owners in limbo too, especially given Tesla’s new online-selling-only strategy. I have unanswered calls and texts into Tesla team. In meantime, we wait for news.

This is why I do not understand why no one has challenged this in higher courts. If Tesla were to open a franchise dealership in Michigan they would be considered competing with their franchise if they sold CARS in Indiana. Michigan would revoke their franchise. SO TECHNICALLY they would be allowed to sell cars. They couldn't meet the Michigan franchise agreement so they'd lose that dealership.... which would take away their right to sell cars....right?

Dumber yet.... A lower Missouri courts ruled "Tesla can not be the franchisee and the franchisor". The stores in Missouri were shut down even though they were not franchises at all. The ruling was thrown out in higher MO court because that judge said the Missouri Dealer Association had no standing to sue Tesla in the first place. The judge basically said you can't sue your competition for being competition, so since the Tesla store is not a franchise they had no legal right to sue under breach of franchise laws. Guess what.... MO Senate has now put forward a bill to make it legal for the franchise dealer to sue a non-franchise company for breach of the franchise laws..... even tho they are not a franchise. Basically they will be able to shut down any competition simply for being competition. Potentially it will mean it could be illegal for Tesla to sell (even online), advertise, service, or provide chargers for their cars in Missouri in the future (yes they tried to make that a law in a bill in 2014 they will keep trying). This could be bigger than people realize. If it works many states would adjust their laws to follow.

(I think I have most of that right but here's an article about it)
Auto dealers renew fight against Tesla in Jefferson City
Interesting and sucky, but also a year old. Sounds like they haven't gotten support for the bill yet. Tesla made it clear that they believe the interstate commerce clause prohibits such foolishness and @neroden brought up Amazon's legal battles. Which, while they are different (just sales, not service), I still believe to be relevant. However, I'm not as sanguine about federal politics not killing a competitor for the dinosaurs in a misguided effort to help them avoid bankruptcy. It'll be Tesla's fault for not playing fair while being disruptive (queue false comparisons to Uber).

Not to say I think the federal government will legislate Tesla out of existence, but I think there's more pull than his comment suggests.

The FSD upgrade for existing EAP owners just switched from $3k to the promised $2k:

Screenshot_20190305-212343.png

I am seeing the base Model 3 SR price online is now $39,500, up from $35,000. Am I seeing that right? Can anyone confirm?

Edit: Never mind, I had options selected from last time I was on the site. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited: