Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Founders Series Tesla Semi reservations require an initial $5,000 credit card payment. A $195,000 wire transfer payment is required for the first Founders Series Tesla Semi, plus a $200,000 wire transfer for each additional Founders Series Tesla Semi. Wire transfers are due within 10 days. Reservations are not final until the wire transfer payment is received.

What commercial transport/drayage company or owner-operator would ever spring for special badging and the cachet of being an early adopter at that premium?

What commercial transport/drayage company or owner-operator would ever spring for special badging and the cachet of being an early adopter at that premium?
I don't know how much the premium is - but if it saves a considerable amount on fuel, I can see some companies spring for this because of green cred.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: humbaba and mekberg
Not sure why we see this often - anyone who pays part of the wages to their employees through stock options are concerned about stock price. Just hear what Musk said on the Recode podcast. When SP is up, employees are in good mood and when its down, they are in bad mood.

How do employee stock options work? Do employees get to choose when their options expire? Do employees have to use a certain brokerage that has a contract with Tesla?

How do employee stock options work? Do employees get to choose when their options expire? Do employees have to use a certain brokerage that has a contract with Tesla?
They are very different from the call/put options we talk about. In the companies I have worked, they are really just grants of certain number of shares at particular points in the future. So, in one year someone could be granted 300 shares which vest over the next 3 years, 100 every year. Usually new employees are also granted joining bonus grants.

If the stock price is higher, you can give fewer stocks for the same amount of remuneration - so whether the price is 300 or 400 makes a lot of difference.

• Informative
Reactions: shrspeedblade
Fixable with one internal email, with words to the effect of "look long - share price growth will follow revenue growth".
Next you are going to tell me don't worry about your 401k since by the time you retire, it will all be fine ;)

The problem with becoming an open book is there will inevitably be times when a closed book would be better.
Not sure how that would be worse than rampant FUD and unreliable data from Insideevs, Alphahat, bloomberg etc etc.

Reactions: Zhelko Dimic
They are very different from the call/put options we talk about. In the companies I have worked, they are really just grants of certain number of shares at particular points in the future. So, in one year someone could be granted 300 shares which vest over the next 3 years, 100 every year. Usually new employees are also granted joining bonus grants.

If the stock price is higher, you can give fewer stocks for the same amount of remuneration - so whether the price is 300 or 400 makes a lot of difference.

In an informal discussion with a Tesla employee about a year ago, she told me employees had the option of buying the stock at different intervals for the lowest price it had been at in the previous 90 days. I did not ask for any more details...

Does Tesla give stock options or reserved stock? I thought it was the latter...

EDIT: Checked glass door. Tesla lets employees choose between options and restricted* stock

*I mistyped this above. I’ll have to watch out for the SEC trying to hold me in contempt now.

Last edited:
The post to which I was referring suggested that Tesla is not an investable company/should not be listed for trading, hence my logical response. People talking nonsense is not constructive criticism.
Taking Tesla Private

Second paragraph:

“First, a final decision has not yet been made, but the reason for doing this is all about creating the environment for Tesla to operate best. As a public company, we are subject to wild swings in our stock price that can be a major distraction for everyone working at Tesla, all of whom are shareholders. Being public also subjects us to the quarterly earnings cycle that puts enormous pressure on Tesla to make decisions that may be right for a given quarter, but not necessarily right for the long-term. Finally, as the most shorted stock in the history of the stock market, being public means that there are large numbers of people who have the incentive to attack the company.”

Tesla would be much better off as a private company for the next 5-10 years. It’s a fact, not nonsense.

In an informal discussion with a Tesla employee about a year ago, she told me employees had the option of buying the stock at different intervals for the lowest price it had been at in the previous 90 days. I did not ask for any more details...
That is probably their employee stock purchase plan (ESPP). You essentially contribute a % or amount per paycheck and at the end of the quarter you get to buy the stock at the lowest price (or some companies give a discount over the lowest price / ending price). This is different from the stock grants employees get as part of annual rewards/bonus.

1. 46610967-F999-48F9-90E6-8F9D029ADAD6.jpeg
    Be prepared for disappointment then, the rules for aerodynamics haven't changed. Might not be quite as "eggy" in the rear to keep roof height a bit taller.
I won't be disappointed. I have a mad crush on my P3D!

I understand people paying extra for a Founders Series car, but I wonder who would buy a Founders Series Semi and why.

Let's say I own a trucking company. I would want to get my hands on Tesla Semi ASAP, long before all my competitors. $150k, 180k or 200k is really a none issue. Once I get the Semi, I can thoroughly evaluate it, this would be a valuable input for my business decisions in the following areas:

1. Should I order more? how many?
2. Should I reduce my ongoing diesel Semi orders?
3. Should I dump my current diesel trucks before everybody else?
4. Should I continue to keep the long term diesel hedge on my book?
5. Should I change the way how I do business because of this new truck? for example, maybe I can sign long term contracts because I know my cost is going to reduce.

According to the new EAP/FSD, some stuff you have had is now part of FSD.

Anyway, some of us were clever and didn't buy FSD earlier ;)

Ok. I didn’t originally buy FSD because

a) nothing was available in that category at time of purchase
b) didn’t appear it would be coming the following week
c) I was willing to give Tesla the extra ‘after purchase’ 1k penalty cost the very second I caught whiff of a FSD feature coming out

So, I’d have purchased it eventually and been happy to pay more. Instead, I got it for less than even originally priced with the added bonus of the upgraded hardware. Just too good a deal to pass up, even if FSD doesn’t materialize for some time. I’m okay with that. I love my car and what it currently does. It’s badass.

Perhaps I was a bit lucky, but I make my own luck too. I’ve seen how Tesla operates with features and options. There was always a good chance the pricing would change or be ‘paired’ differently or something. I might have had to pay even more than the original penalized after purchase price, but I was willing to take that chance.

But Tesla isn’t losing on the deal with me. I’m planning on purchasing a decked out Y w/AP & FSD and I’m planning on purchasing a decked out steampunk, blade runner pickup w/AP & FSD. Really excited about the latter. Liked stoked!

Seattle and Bellevue are filthy with Teslas! Your wife just had an unlucky drive. Cruise across the Evergreen Point floating bridge or I 90 to Mercer Island and beyond and you are literally swimming in Teslas. Well, almost swimming.

I walked the parking lot of 99 Ranch market in Mountain View, CA the other day. I kid you not, counted 3 Model 3, one Model S, and 5 (!) Model X! I texted my wife who was in Seattle this weekend and she said she has to yet see a Tesla car there.

It’s a completely different world outside of the Bay Area, it just shows the potential elsewhere in the US and how ridiculous the MS argument of “Tesla hit a demand air pocket” is.