Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only controversy is that the line would have to be shut down during the conversion process, when it could be running making cars. The time to do the dual run conversion is in the nebulous future when the capacity can't be sold, not when it will limit sales and profit.
Why ?

The Nissan plant in Smyrna can make different vehicles, including Leaf & ICE cars in any sequence. Also in Sunderland.

BTW, what does Tesla do now for S&X ?

nissan-leaf-electric-car-assembly-at-sunderland-u-k-plant_100554590_m.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ABCTG
Why ?

The Nissan plant in Smyrna can make different vehicles, including Leaf & ICE cars in any sequence. Also in Sunderland.

BTW, what does Tesla do now for S&X ?

View attachment 387167
You're missing the point. Right now all that can be produced is being sold. To convert the line to a multi-car line means shutting down the line while the changes are made so that it will be a multi-car line. If it takes three weeks to do the conversion, that's three weeks worth of vehicle that can't be sold because they don't exist.

One thing for sure: if any of the legacy OEMs had announced the Model Y (or something very similar), the press would be going bonkers with praise, with "Tesla Killer" headlines smeared in bold everywhere. This just shows how biased they are against Tesla.

Though it is not that visually new or different than the 3, the specs and pricing on this car make it a standout in the crossover market. If any other OEM had released this car instead, Tesla shareholders should truly be worried. But instead, while the press and masses mock Tesla, legacy OEM executives are realizing the horror of what just happened. The true ICE killer was quietly revealed to the world this week.

Last edited:
By "no demand" you mean not 350k (i.e. 30k per month) worth of demand per year in the US ?

EM says the demand is about 500k worldwide. So you can just go by that and even if half of that is US, we are looking at 250k.

Are you really saying there is consistent demand for 350k Model 3s in US per year ?

ps : 2018 entire small/mid luxury car sales in US was 388k.

Small And Midsize Luxury Car Sales In America – December 2018 | GCBC
Toyota alone sold 343,349 Camrys in the U.S. in 2018. Toyota Camry Sales Figures | GCBC which is a significant decline from prior years. Plus Honda sold 291,071 Honda Accord Sales Figures in 2018 So yeah, I can easily see 350k yearly demand for Model 3 once the FUD is gone.

I think you borked your numbers there.

Last edited:
Hi all! Longtime lurker and stockholder since late spring of 2013.

The pickup truck speculation has me wanting to throw in my $.02. I currently own a 2004 F-150 with 230,000 miles and have a 2018 Corolla that I just bought as a daily driver for a 70 mile (round trip) daily commute. I now use the truck for my hobbies: hunting, fishing, hauling canoes, camping, etc. Stereotypical southern guy activities I guess. I only use the truck for those activities now because I'm gonna get an electric in a few years so it needs to last me that long. I will never be totally without a pickup, and can't wait to have an electric to use all the time and pass the Corolla down to one of my kids.

I think there are many thousands of potential electric truck buyers similarly situated. If I were to buy a new truck today, the one that would make the most sense for reliability, gas mileage, and my hobbies would be the Honda Ridgeline. Here's the problem with that: I'm never gonna drive a truck that looks like a Ridgeline. Judge my male redneck vanity if you will but I'm just not gonna buy something as unmanly-looking as the Ridgeline despite specs lining up with my needs. It's a little embarrassing to admit this but sales figures point to much of the market agreeing with me.

I'm getting increasingly worried with all this Bladerunner/cyberpunk pickup speculation. Very few people in my neck up the woods are going to spend a lot of money on a pickup that is too far removed from our mental image of a pickup. I guess it's a type of illogical conservatism but I suspect the weirdness in my own brain is widespread in the addressable market for EV pickups.

That Rivian pickup looks about perfect to me (not sure how I feel about the headlights), but I've got my doubts if we'll ever see it. I like the Bollinger (though only 200 miles of range makes me queasy) but we might never see that either. Bottom line is I really need Elon and Co to take on the F-150/Silverado/Ram and not go overly sci-fi. It gives me confidence that Elon has always mentioned the F-150 as competition but some of this more recent speculation has me worried. Tesla has gotten the big things right thus far. I think they'll continue to do that, but the pickup market is different from sedans and crossovers.

Happy for the existence of this community and would participate in a crowdfunding effort to pay the mods of this thread.
OT weekend:
Thanks for chiming in. Hearing the opinion from one of the bigger demographics for the truck is valuable and I hope that Tesla reached out in some way similar to how they did for the Semi. My understanding is they consulted with a number of drivers/dispatchers/owners while in the design stage. I'd like to see what type of feedback they got from the twitter offer to send in your ideas.

Your concerns about the macho image is probably stronger for this vehicle type than most. I remember when Ram redesigned the grill back in the 90's and sales skyrocketed as it just looked stronger, bolder, tougher, I don't know. I really hope the truck that's meant for the masses doesn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. On the other hand, as a disrupter and first principles philosophy, I would love it if they could re-invent some of the traditional thinking that has kept most other trucks stagnant and similar, unwilling to take risks. Different for the sake of being different only works if it's also better. I think they can do it.

What do some of your like minded friends think not only of Tesla but would they buy a Tesla truck or any EV? I ask because I have a few friends with trucks and some of them are almost disgusted by the thought. I had a co-worker bragging about some new Hemi Ram with gobs of HP and Torque and a 0-60 time of maybe 4 seconds or it could have been 1/4 mile times but regardless, I mentioned the towing capacity of the Tesla truck at 300,000#'s and he kind of slithered back to his office and avoids the topic now.
It's this type of mindset that I hope the truck will just blow out every spec from all the competition just to watch them stammer with "yeah, but, but, something, something, bankruptcy".

Reactions: CaliBear1
Actually I think the model Y was his attempt to pump the price up again. It just went badly since they did not tease anything else (I mean the truck was so hidden I wouldn't even call it a "one other thing". If they were serious they would have rolled the pick up out. It just feels like he's trying too hard now and not even convinces himself he should do it. I'm actually surprised how bad the presentation was the other day.
Based upon the event that I saw, I would have to totally disagree. It was a pretty hohum presentation focused on the history/progress of Tesla's vehicles, just barely showing the Y. He almost forgot about the slide showing specs and pricing, barely going over it. I think if Elon wanted to pump the stock price, he would have approached it in a completely different way. It was intentionally really low-key. Kind of a yawner actually, and Elon has given plenty of presentations to know the difference. With the approach of allowing customers to order the specific configuration they want, Tesla is obtaining information that will be extremely helpful for planning the Y ramp, and this time they are getting that information way ahead of time unlike with the model 3.

They will get a bit of cash for Q1 from the initial orders, but I think that will be pretty modest, perhaps around $60-80M? I have a hard time thinking Tesla will get more than 30,000 orders at this point, but that's just my guess. I would have guessed completely wrong on model 3 reservations when that was revealed.

Based upon the event that I saw, I would have to totally disagree. It was a pretty hohum presentation focused on the history/progress of Tesla's vehicles, just barely showing the Y. He almost forgot about the slide showing specs and pricing, barely going over it. I think if Elon wanted to pump the stock price, he would have approached it in a completely different way. It was intentionally really low-key. Kind of a yawner actually, and Elon has given plenty of presentations to know the difference. With the approach of allowing customers to order the specific configuration they want, Tesla is obtaining information that will be extremely helpful for planning the Y ramp, and this time they are getting that information way ahead of time unlike with the model 3.

They will get a bit of cash for Q1 from the initial orders, but I think that will be pretty modest, perhaps around $60-80M? I have a hard time thinking Tesla will get more than 30,000 orders at this point, but that's just my guess. I would have guessed completely wrong on model 3 reservations when that was revealed.
You are basically agreeing with my point that it was a bad presentation. I think Elon has to be more careful with his time projections now that the SEC is watching closely or he was just kinda depressed or off that night. I don't think it was a deliberate attempt to make it ho hum. He just didn't seem excited and I don't know why. I suppose getting some preorder info would be helpful to Tesla in designing the final stages of it or to gauge demand but it seems like they should have done a better presentation based in how important model Y will be to Tesla's future. Maybe trying not to destroy m3 demand by keeping it ho hum?

One thing for sure: if any of the legacy OEMs had announced the Model Y (or something very similar), the press would be going bonkers with praise, with "Tesla Killer" headlines smeared in bold everywhere. This just shows how biased they are against Tesla.

Though it is not that visually new or different than the 3, the specs and pricing on this car make it a standout in the crossover market. If any other OEM had released this car instead, Tesla shareholders should truly be worried. But instead, while the press and masses mock Tesla, OEM executives are realizing the horror of what just happened. The true ICE killer was quietly revealed to the world this week.
The market is hyperventilating over the question of how much demand there really is for Tesla vehicles. That is currently blinding them to all else regarding Tesla. The model Y is not the question that the market wants an answer to right now. Once the demand question is resolved, the focus will shift again to profitability, but at that point I expect to see some of the negative pressure lifted from Tesla, at least temporarily.

No idea on orders...with m3 it didn't help to reserve early so I think fewer will order for model Y. There will be some of course but yeah probably not a huge infusion especially with it being 1.5 years from production on high end.

Reactions: Smokey4141
You are basically agreeing with my point that it was a bad presentation. I think Elon has to be more careful with his time projections now that the SEC is watching closely or he was just kinda depressed or off that night. I don't think it was a deliberate attempt to make it ho hum. He just didn't seem excited and I don't know why. I suppose getting some preorder info would be helpful to Tesla in designing the final stages of it or to gauge demand but it seems like they should have done a better presentation based in how important model Y will be to Tesla's future. Maybe trying not to destroy m3 demand by keeping it ho hum?
I thought Elon was in a good mood. Even if he had totally nailed the presentation in terms of coming across polished, more like when he did the initial model 3 reveal, the intention was clearly to not emphasize too much about the model Y. No need to over-sell it at this point. Just get it out there in the minds of potential customers. That's how I saw it anyway. I don't think Elon is a great public speaker. He does great interviews, but I've been disappointed by many of the presentations I have seen him give. I would prefer to have someone more polished do the event, bringing out Elon for a portion of it. I realize there are lots of differences of opinion about that, that's just mine.

I guess that's what's confusing. I would have considered those small SUVs. I guess there is a gray area here, where small SUVs mesh into crossovers?? And SUV proper are larger SUVs
Because SUV, CUV, XUV are mainly marketing terms, they can mean whatever the manufacturer wants depending on what name they think will sell the most. Yes, I know there are standard definitions for each, but they're fuzzy enough to allow this for vehicles that aren't all that much different in size.