Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this in fact true? Certainly the Autopilot prices will go up, but I'm uncertain whether the Model Y is subject to all the recent price change announcements. It would be strange to say the least if after announcing pricing Thursday, they were to go up 3% on Tuesday.

No. That was clearly bad wording on Musk's part (writing "SEXY" when he was clearly just talking about the cars currently on sale).

8wvmfwfw6nm21.jpg

We've been talking aesthetics and potential demand for the pickup and I've got another data point that we can possibly generalize. I saw this on Reddit and my wife's reaction was: "Not only am I not getting in that thing, but we aren't parking it in the driveway either." Even though my future electric pickup would be mine, it also doubles as a family vehicle. My wife isn't getting out of this and walking into church, despite how badass I think it looks.

She said it'd be great for when I joined up with some weirdo militia and I was like...

flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg

Brand new Superchargers opened up this week in Parsippany NJ Wawa store. Really surprised that it was already being out to good use.

View attachment 387371

Side note: not a Model 3 to be found. Small sample size, I know, but I’ve noticed that Model X and S are far more popular in NJ. I think a lower priced AWD trim would help sales up here.
Slowly but surely I see more and more model 3s. And you are right, a lot of NJ people will go for AWD. And some might be waiting for SR AWD.

Because SUV, CUV, XUV are mainly marketing terms, they can mean whatever the manufacturer wants depending on what name they think will sell the most. Yes, I know there are standard definitions for each, but they're fuzzy enough to allow this for vehicles that aren't all that much different in size.

Wasn't "crossover" originally use to distinguish SUVs built using sedan frames and suspensions compared to early SUVs that were a seated top-hat for body-on-frame truck chasses?

(Tesla Pickup):

But with a 150-200 kWh pack and a frame full of titanium I don't think the base price will be below $100k...

This is what has me puzzled about Rivian: they have said recently that their 400-mile range model with 180kwh pack will definitely have some configurations under $90k. They have a very credible team and business plan and live prototypes, but what about their battery technology? All the other “Tesla killers” have suffered when compared to Tesla in that category.

Here is a Rivian spec sheet from a few months ago:

8A2398CE-2809-446F-820E-3543B98B00BB.jpeg

Wasn't "crossover" originally use to distinguish SUVs built using sedan frames and suspensions compared to early SUVs that were a seated top-hat for body-on-frame truck chasses?
Originally. I don't believe that to be the case anymore because body on frame construction is not as safe as unibody construction.

Reactions: neroden
OT:

I’ve been wondering if a used X might make the most sense for me now. Only have 2 kids but if we want to travel with my wife’s parents...

Exactly our situation. We have a Volvo XC90 now and road trip with one in the third row. I'm now hoping there will be some end of Q inventory deals on the X this Q or next.

(Tesla Pickup):

This is what has me puzzled about Rivian: they have said recently that their 400-mile range model with 180kwh pack will definitely have some configurations under $90k. They have a very credible team and business plan and live prototypes, but what about their battery technology? All the other “Tesla killers” have suffered when compared to Tesla in that category.

Here is a Rivian spec sheet from a few months ago:

View attachment 387386

This.

They are talking a 230 mile range base model for $69,500 before the rebate and two earlier variants available before that. I'd go for the base or middle one most likely, however...

There's that old military saying about how plans are great until the first shot gets fired. Elon mentioned that prototypes were easy and manufacturing profitably was the devil. As much as I like the look, price, and specs of the Rivian, I'll believe it when I see it. I've seen Tesla turn ideas into actual products. I haven't seen Rivian do it.

The Model Y receive maybe 1 minute of air time. He’s anti selling the y. Just like they tried to anti sell the 3 at one point after it was revealed.
Thats the perfect reason for not buying any of the competitors, where are you going to charge it. Road tripping in a Tesla is so easy..

Depends where you live. In BC you have a choice of about 150 Chademo/CCS locations either already up and running or with termination dates by end 2019. And more to come in 2020 already funded. You can pretty much go anywhere. With a Tesla model 3 you are limited to 14 lications and a narrow strip in the main highway thru the province. A model S or X is different as there is a Chademo adapter.

Our number one choice for our next car is a model 3 LR or AWD. But we’ll be buying a Leaf E-Plus because we can actually go places with it. Awesome province with lots to see, but you won’t be seeing it in a model 3.

8wvmfwfw6nm21.jpg

We've been talking aesthetics and potential demand for the pickup and I've got another data point that we can possibly generalize. I saw this on Reddit and my wife's reaction was: "Not only am I not getting in that thing, but we aren't parking it in the driveway either." Even though my future electric pickup would be mine, it also doubles as a family vehicle. My wife isn't getting out of this and walking into church, despite how badass I think it looks.

She said it'd be great for when I joined up with some weirdo militia and I was like...

This looks more like what I had in mind. Except you need to do the same thing to the back as you did the front. I'll draw it out later.

At the 23 second mark of the video whats that being carried in the black boring transporter on the left?
Anything of interest? Maybe just imagining things. :)

That was the original Boring Company concept sled - you'd drive your car onto that sled, and that sled would go through the tunnel. Looks like that was a Model S on that sled, nothing to see here.

Now, the car propels itself in the tunnel, instead.

Toyota sells the Corolla hatchback in the USA and the Corolla sedan hybrid.

A Corolla hatchback hybrid is superior to a Prius and cheaper to make for Toyota than a Prius because of economies of scale.

I agree the Prius will not have a 5th generation.

Corolla Hatchback is significantly smaller than a Prius (shorter wheelbase), and from what I've heard, the sedan, while actually being longer, isn't packaged as well resulting in less room in the back seat (and being a sedan, doesn't have the cargo versatility, although there is a wagon in the European market).

I do suspect that any 5th-gen Prius would be a PHEV, though, which would be desperately pitched against the Model 3. (It won't work.)

Originally. I don't believe that to be the case anymore because body on frame construction is not as safe as unibody construction.

A SUV need not be body-on-frame - for instance, the Jeep Cherokee XJ was an example of a unibody SUV. However, the XJ still had a true offroad drivetrain and axles. Low-range transfer case, solid axles. However, it was largely an exception to the rule in the past (nowadays, though, many true offroad SUVs are unibody, especially in the more luxury-intended space), and it was still designed as a SUV even as it was unibody.

As far as the truck having weird styling... I suspect enough people will get over it when Tesla can show their truck twisting conventional diesel pickups in half and dragging them backwards at high speed.

• Informative
Reactions: capster and Nathan
Depends where you live. In BC you have a choice of about 150 Chademo/CCS locations either already up and running or with termination dates by end 2019. And more to come in 2020 already funded. You can pretty much go anywhere. With a Tesla model 3 you are limited to 14 lications and a narrow strip in the main highway thru the province. A model S or X is different as there is a Chademo adapter.

Our number one choice for our next car is a model 3 LR or AWD. But we’ll be buying a Leaf E-Plus because we can actually go places with it. Awesome province with lots to see, but you won’t be seeing it in a model 3.
That is unfortunately the case until Tesla comes out with an adaptor. I suspect this adaptor will be easy to make because CCS and Tesla charging are not very far apart technically.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
@Smokey4141
So Donn, I’m still trying to figure out why you are here slumming for an article for SleezeKinky Alfalfa? What’s the topic?
I’m pretty much banned from there
Retired from your auto dealership yet?

Well, again, ~not~ Donn..... But thanks to you, I ~do~ now know whom you're talking about... So thank you for that...
And I am retired, in a way....... Thanks for asking..

But just like you, now standing by....now just watching the liquidation of inventory....
And as I'm sure you know, that's just one more step in the process... ;-)

Layoffs?? Check

Locations closing?? Check

Slow service and parts response?? Check
(note: this might be a helpful thread to anyone finding Tesla's response to needing parts or service unsatisfactory: Brian Sparks on Twitter )

Inventory reductions...... Check-ish (on-going)

Increase cash-on-hand any way possible....... Check-ish (Thanks for the deposits, you unsecured creditors, you!)

Disagree all you want, but some of those have already happened, and others are happening as we speak...

Trade safe, folks....

8wvmfwfw6nm21.jpg

Here's another render from InsideEV:

truck-4.jpg

truck-3.jpg

New Tesla Electric Pickup Render Is Bold, Reminds Us Of Ram Truck

More conventional looking in white, while still badass in all black. The front flatbed is a nice touch.

Gonna be an interesting unveil later this year, but chances are high that either you or your wife is going to be disappointed. :D

Last edited:
Layoffs?? Check
Locations closing?? Check

Question: if you wanted to reduce product prices while maintaining profitability, how would YOU do it?

Gross margins are about part costs, labour costs, and depreciation costs relative to the purchase price. Depreciation costs are a function of throughput. Throughput is at a record high. Part costs have been going down. But for some reason you don't want them reducing labour too, despite being clearly able to maintain high throughput without it? We have people like Lutz going on TV all the time and ranting about how Tesla employs too many people at Fremont relative to how many vehicles they produce, but then they cut labour, that too means "DOOOOOOM!!!!"?

Profitability is about gross margins times volume, minus unrelated costs like SG&A. You apparently don't want them reducing SG&A? Despite the fact that they can clearly move inventory with the vast majority of their market being unable to buy most vehicles? They should maintain high SG&A (something that last year shorts were complaining about how high it was) rather than just moving into more (still waiting) markets and putting up more variants into only-partially-open markets... why?

(Among other demand levers, I should add)

Seriously, what would your recommended strategy be to move into higher-volume/lower-cost price brackets if you don't want them cutting costs and decreasing overhead?

Seriously, get out of here with your "no demand" nonsense. Do you realize that you're talking with someone who's been waiting and waiting (and will be waiting for months more) just to be given an opportunity to buy ANY variant? Have you seen the volume that Norway is moving (in Norway, you can watch the stats in realtime) just from the two most expensive, high-margin variants?

#DemandProblemMyArse

(Oh, and you're also talking to someone who's been waiting for months for their Ford pickup to be fixed because they keep doing this "wait for parts, start to fix it, find something else wrong, wait again" cycle, so don't give me this "Tesla is the only company that repairs can take a long time on" BS. That reminds me, I really should stop by the garage and pester them...)

Last edited: