Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's been delays in Sweden with deliveries being pushed to April. Of course information about the delays have been mishandled by Tesla and costumers are getting vexed. So business as usual at Tesla.:rolleyes:

The problem seems to be that there's bad information about what trailer delivers what car. I think someone called it a 'delivery hell'.

The fact that deliveries have seemingly gone much poorer in Sweden than elsewhere in Europe argues that the problem has to do with Sweden specifically. Across the border in Norway, deliveries are pouring through.

Come on, that wasn't a dog. According to this picture, this is what dogs look like:

D2wskK1XQAERc-B.jpg

(IMHO, that should be part of "Sentry Mode" ;) )
WTF.?? "Honeybee Mode"?

The fact that deliveries have seemingly gone much poorer in Sweden than elsewhere in Europe argues that the problem has to do with Sweden specifically. Across the border in Norway, deliveries are pouring through.
So in other words, socialized delivery isn't the problem ;-)

Yeah, praising Q1 performance two days before end of quarter is so not Elon. Wondering what's going on - they wouldn't know financials this early, so it could be a deliveries milestone perhaps?

100k would be asking for (way) too much?

Probably. But I've been wondering about this for a week or two.

I've spent too much time cobbling together bits of data to come up with a decent bottom-up estimate of Q1 production. In doing so, I adjust my assumptions to try to account for my bias as a Tesla bull. So no matter what I do, I come up with 90K total production (S/3/X). I don't want to allow myself to believe that 100K is in the cards.

But here's the thing that vexes me. Big goals like this are set top-down. Often these goals are stretch goals as well (especially with Tesla). If production was running smoothly through January, they may well have seen that 100K total units was possible and set that as the marching order. This would also explain the price and sales model fiddling. It could well have been done to goose up demand just in order to absorb higher than initially expected production (and not because of some demand cliff).

This would be a great FU to TSLAQ and the SEC, a powerful motivator within Tesla.

PS. This is, of course, production only. I don't think there is any data to support delivery of anywhere near 100K (I'm currently at ~85K with my delivery estimate). But I'd sure love to be proven wrong on this one!!!

Bottom of the ocean.

But seriously. I’m seeing more and more estimates of 55000 3’s delivered. I get that in transit covers some and they are to the point where they need inventory spread around two continents now so they can natch cars to orders more efficiently but I would have thought that number would have been 10 to 12 thousand cars. Not 20’000 cars. I don’t think there is a demand problem so is it more of a logistics issue or am I looking at the numbers wrong.

But seriously. I’m seeing more and more estimates of 55000 3’s delivered. I get that in transit covers some and they are to the point where they need inventory spread around two continents now so they can natch cars to orders more efficiently but I would have thought that number would have been 10 to 12 thousand cars. Not 20’000 cars. I don’t think there is a demand problem so is it more of a logistics issue or am I looking at the numbers wrong.

Ok, being serious for a post. I’ve got no idea how many will be in transit and the mental gymnastics to do the math is not conducive to the enjoyment of the bottle of Tequila in front of me.

I think that was a fail on my part.

more... tweeted to Tom Randall. note that at the bottom of my tweet is Visible Alpha Insight (Tom's data source as plainly stated in today's article) tweet from earlier today reflecting that their consensus S/X production estimate is 21k.

Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 9.49.49 PM.png

link to tweet above if anyone wants to retweet, like, and/or comment.

will not post this kind of stuff on this thread when weekend is over (plan to create a new separate thread for this, but, want to write up an explanatory intro).

Ok, being serious for a post. I’ve got no idea how many will be in transit and the mental gymnastics to do the math is not conducive to the enjoyment of the bottle of Tequila in front of me.

I think that was a fail on my part.

I get it. We are just guessing at this point. It would be interesting to know what the perfect inventory number would be to insure reasonably quick delivery of all the very combos of options. For us, long range, RWD, white on white, 19 inch rims, autopilot, according to the website 2 weeks but according to our Tesla Dude in Vancouver probably close to 4 weeks. Which for us is totally acceptable but for some maybe not.

Wonder what the top three configs are.

The estimates have the 3 low and S&X high.

12 weeks of about 6k /wk gets us 70k produced for 3. 10k more in transit means around 60k delivered.