Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 392431

At the end of 2016 there were 1575 petrol stations in Norway.

Is there any new numbers that suggest BEVs are having an effect?

I know many petrol stations have chargers but.....
For the number of EV charging locations, don't you have to add in the number of houses with electricity?

We know Norway imports a significant number of used BEVs.

It is likely Norway exports a significant number of used ICEv.

As a whole the EU exports a significant number of used ICEv to Africa and the Middle East. Probably to Europe East of the EU as well. This will likely increase as used ICEv values decrease in the EU due to banning of ICEv in city centers and transition to BEV.
Norway hardly exports any ICEv as due to the excessive taxes on ICEv any import price will be a lot lower than what the price is in Norway. So what happens is they are sold eventually in Norway or used/ "sold" to family as hand-me-downs. We can easily import ICEv though as the taxes are added after import and still they might end up being cheaper than buying the same car here in Norway.

I feel if Model S X misses estimates by 5k, that will be used as a negative spin and will completely overshadow the Model 3 deliveries. Also if there's no indication of Model Y orders, shorts will scream no demand. Sigh

What matters is what numbers institutional investors plug into their spreadsheets. We're no longer in a place where where S and X are cash cows and Model 3 has minimal margins. Every car being sent to Europe and China is high margin. It's volume that matters.

When a gas station is decommissioned, I would assume the area is polluted from all the tiny spills during its operational lifetime, adding to the cost of having them.

In Belgium lot’s of gas stations closed 20 years ago because of stricter environmental rules. E.g. all gas stations need to have a system to prevent spills into the environment.
I don’t know if these are local rules or European rules, but I expect similar rules in most of Europe.
So that shakeout happened already 20 years ago.

If that $282 bouncy-bounce was all the MMD we'll see today, it's a nice start to a new quarter. However, we're all long experienced in being subjected to a rain of anvils after just about every earnings report, so...

Somewhat market-relatedly, I got to thinking about how easily Ford was able - 5 years ago now??? - to get Tesla to back off from using "Model E" based on a long-dead and -buried vehicle that never could be confused with Tesla's upcoming product. On the other hand, there appears to have been no analogous backlash from BMW regarding M3. We were just shown a German review in which it appears that the M3 is far superior in almost every aspect to the M3.

Everybody wins!

In all seriousness, I am supposing that the Bavarian's "full" name is indeed M3, whereas the Californian's is "Model 3". "But..." as my favorite blogger writes, "...still".

I have to wonder if the current SP evolution is the "buy the rumour" part which will be used to justify a "sell the news" follow-up, rather than genuine optimism in the stock. Being invested in TSLA for quite a while now made me cynical.
Can't help but feel the same way. I started selling half of my position before news and keep the other half long term. Although Robinhood kills me on capital gain taxes and wash sales. Cant win

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
In Belgium lot’s of gas stations closed 20 years ago because of stricter environmental rules. E.g. all gas stations need to have a system to prevent spills into the environment.
I don’t know if these are local rules or European rules, but I expect similar rules in most of Europe.

Remediation costs are a significant problem for gas stations. When a new owner buys the site, even if they want to re-open they're rolling the dice on the costs.

That's part of the reason why closed gas station sites can sit empty for so long. Often the owner will keep paying the property tax because it's cheaper than fixing it.

In areas with high property prices, it's not a problem (e.g. Boston, MA has a shortage of gas stations because land is too valuable) but away from those areas they can sit closed for many years.

Jealous of how far ahead Norway is in the EV transition... great hedge for when the oil money eventually ends.
Yes, and Norway is funding the transition to renewables with that wealth, currently about $1 Trillion in their Sovereign Wealth Fund.

No bloddy wonder they don't care to join the EU.... :rolleyes:

Free higher education, anyone?

Cheers!

Reactions: Lucky_Man and AndyH
The amount of gasoline that just straight up evaporates into the air form a typical gas station is insane.
If that $282 bouncy-bounce was all the MMD we'll see today, it's a nice start to a new quarter. However, we're all long experienced in being subjected to a rain of anvils after just about every earnings report, so...

Somewhat market-relatedly, I got to thinking about how easily Ford was able - 5 years ago now??? - to get Tesla to back off from using "Model E" based on a long-dead and -buried vehicle that never could be confused with Tesla's upcoming product. On the other hand, there appears to have been no analogous backlash from BMW regarding M3. We were just shown a German review in which it appears that the M3 is far superior in almost every aspect to the M3.

Everybody wins!

In all seriousness, I am supposing that the Bavarian's "full" name is indeed M3, whereas the Californian's is "Model 3". "But..." as my favorite blogger writes, "...still".
I fully expect BMW to defend their trademark and send cease and desist letters to media outlets that use the term "M3" in regards to the Model 3.