Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So since we're at 19k without Germany and the UK, are you saying that you think Germany + UK will be only 1k? Germany, the only European country which sometimes beats Norway in terms of Tesla purchases?

I hadn't seen the Spain/Switzerland/etc. numbers come in later today -- would have to guess 22k EU now, for a total of 77k. Worth noting that I'm intentionally trying to guess on the conservative side.

EDIT: A more optimistic estimate based on the same assumptions/data could be 82k, with 3k additional in China and 2k additional in GER.

Bob lutz goes out of his way to malign tesla in any way he can.
Why so much hate , what motivates such negativity .
To ask the question is to answer it, I figure.

They should interview Elon on CNBC concerning bob lutz business .
What is it Elon says?
Ford & Tesla are the only 2 American car companies to avoid bankruptcy. I just got home from the factory. You think this is an option. It is not.

May not be directly at Lutz, but it may still sting...

InsideEVs US estimates: 10,000-12,000 Model 3, 2,725 S, 2,425 X.

[Edit- That's for March only.]

To which my response is: "Lol."

(Please read InsideEVs' methodology here)

10-12k for March is low, plus we know it from Alpha Hat that InsideEV underestimated January numbers by about 37%:

Tesla Delivered More Vehicles in January than Reports Suggest

'A few weeks ago we wrote that Tesla delivered a surprisingly high number of vehicles in the first couple of weeks of January. Our more recent data showed that the trend continued for the full month, with Tesla delivering around 11,485 vehicles (S, X & 3) within the US in January. Our data indicates deliveries were 37% higher than the widely-followed estimates from InsideEVs, who reported 8,375 US deliveries across all models."​

Lets do some quick math to extrapolate Europe total of all Teslas Q1 from this:
ES/NE/NO did 9677 in Q1 (According to Alex´ tweet) and 1717 in February (according to our wiki),
so a factor of 5,6 (rounded) for Q1 over Feb numbers.

Doing this for all of Europe: 4293 in Feb (according to our wiki) times 5.6 leads to an estimate of 24,041 cars. Wow.
I can hardly believe this, but statistically, this is on a sound basis, as ES/NE/NO represent about one third of Feb sales in Europe.
Please point me to any mistakes I might have made...

EDIT/addendum:
Assuming S+X keeps stays the same at about 700 cars in March as in Feb, we´d have 22,600 Model 3 in Q1, which would be 8 boats (IIRC)x 2825 cars. Knowing they planned for 3000 per week in 6-7 weeks they´d have signinifcantly beat their own guidance it this is true...

Looking forward to the next few days as the real numbers materialize, we will be in for some really good press!

Numbers for most European countries came in quickly - we are at more than 19,000 official regstrations with data from Germany still missing!
As Norway had 1016/5822 in Feb/Mar, I suspect Germany will go from 1092 in Jan to 5000-6000 in March, so the total would be 24,000-25,000 :D!

My estimate for Q1. Obviously we will need actual delivery numbers to make a more accurate estimate.View attachment 391601

Plugging 15k S/X and 77k Model 3s into this model, I'm coming up with a Q1 net profit. Thoughts?

Edit: Even 72k Model 3s gets me to a Q1 profit. Hm.

Edit 2: Math is hard. 62k-67k Model 3s, not 72-77k. Duh. Nevermind. :)

Last edited:
Numbers for most European countries came in quickly - we are at more than 19,000 official regstrations with data from Germany still missing!
As Norway had 1016/5822 in Feb/Mar, I suspect Germany will go from 1092 in Jan to 5000-6000 in March, so the total would be 24,000-25,000 :D!

AFAIK Germany will report March registrations in two days - 4th of April.

5-6k sounds too much - 3-4k would be fantastic!

lucy-charlie-brown-football-color-setup2.jpg

Question... for Europe might registrations understate actual deliveries?

For instance, if someone got their delivery this weekend but the registration office was closed until monday, which is then no longer March?

Delivery could count as Q1 even though it's not registered until april.

Question... for Europe might registrations understate actual deliveries?

For instance, if someone got their delivery this weekend but the registration office was closed until monday, which is then no longer March?

Delivery could count as Q1 even though it's not registered until april.
In Germany, you have to register before you can take delivery. Well, at least if you want to drive it home...

I'm sticking with my utterly outrageous estimate as posted a while back in the How many model 3s will take deliver in q1 thread:

M3 Production 86k, deliveries 80k
S&X Production 20k, deliveries 15k

Because my glass is always half full and I've always more beer chilling' in the fridge ready.

I hasten to add that this figure was derived in the time-honoured manner - extracted from one of my body-cavities...

Certainly not an advice.

Plugging 15k S/X and 77k Model 3s into this model, I'm coming up with a Q1 net profit. Thoughts?
Yes if Model 3 deliveries were that high I would be expecting a modest net profit. But I simply don't see how they could have deliveries that high. In their guidance they said deliveries would be 10k lower than production. 77k is around my guess for production right now with around 65k deliveries. Right now we have just under 17k reported deliveries across Europe for the Model 3 with Germany still needing to report in which I'm guessing will add 3-5k for March. Insideev's just came out with their March estimate of 10-12k Model 3 for March. I'm gonna go with the high end estimate which would give a total of 24,250 Model 3 for the quarter in the US. Can probably add 3k from Canada and I have no idea how deliveries are going in Mexico but let's just add 1k as a guess. This gets me to 50k. I believe China got the same number of ships as Europe so they should contribute over 10k but there is doesn't seem to be very good reporting of numbers over there. I also suspect insideev's numbers for the US might be a little low which brings me to me 65k estimate. I could see the final number being +-5k from that. 70k Model 3 deliveries and 16k S&X actually outputs a $0.01 profit in my model but my opex numbers could be wildly off as they are just estimates and I have no idea if they will try to sell many ZEV credit this quarter.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cherry Wine

O.k., Norway is a bit of a special case, I agree. If I do the extrapolation for Model 3 from Feb to Mar using all countries except Germany and Norway, I get a factor of 4.2 - multiplying this withe the German Feb number for 3 and adding S/X from Feb I end up with about 4,200. I guess that might be more realistic.