Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, those of us with options have not had an enjoyable ride this year. I really didn't want to know what it was like to ride down a long falling wedge for months, adding more calls as we ride it down further. Buying dips worked great in the past when we used to actually have significant bounces. Shorts remain in complete control right now.
Sorry to hear, thanks for being honest too.
I'm still in with all as hold. My brother lost everything on Tesla this year, and I almost followed but after one burn I was done with options. I didn't like the time limit... never worked out. I did an option on solar, same thing.
I do get bummed at SP, but today just jazzed me enough to plan on getting another Tesla when I tap into my retirement next year. I've had money managers and friends call me an idiot. I just know if I lose long here, the planet is also doomed. I didn't expect FSD to arrive so quickly myself. L5 by year end would be earth shattering fast!

In 2020 or 2022, at the end of his term - the year depending on whether the term reduction proposal gets voted in. Sounds like they're trying to shrink the board.

Good to see that Jurvetson isn't standing for reelection.

Interestingly enough, this dovetails with what some institutional investors have been pushing for. They've been pushing to get Jurvetson, Gracias, and Kimball off the board, as they see them as Musk cronies:

A Tesla board member was ousted from his venture capital firm amid sexual harassment allegations - now there are calls for him to be booted from the automaker too (TSLA) | Markets Insider

I actually like Musk-yes-men being on the board. But that said, Jurvetson is problematic, and needs to go.

I wonder if this is part of a planned effort to get further buy-in from said hesitant institutionals...
I agree with your yes-men position in the case of Tesla as long as Elon is CEO, but only for that long.

While I was calling for a smaller board, I don't like who they've decided they're keeping and getting rid of, because a lot of who they have left are the board members with the most conflicts of interest, and those members have track records of not having the interests of people and customers in their heart, and have tended to be part of non-innovative companies that hold innovation and improvement back rather than give it the light of day. Also, I'm suspicious that they are politically aligned with the pro-slavery nanny-government parties.

"Sexual harassment" allegations have been shown to be mostly false in this day of age; if anything, they are a signal of someone worthy of being attacked, and probably signifies they are a good person. When I researched Jurvetson, he might be an exception to that, but they were just allegations, so I tended to count the allegations as a point in favor of Jurvetson due to this heuristic.

If anything, the "institutional investors" are angling to take over Tesla and put it under their thumb. It would be very easy for them to claim TSLAQ was right and bankrupt the company, using the SEC lawsuit as a keyhole to claim Musk was some criminal, and tear down EVs as a scam. Even New York Times has been helping them with that. To me, it seems like they're positioning the conflicted directors that they want into place. As a special bit of Orwellian doublespeak, they're calling the most conflicted directors with the most ties to other boards on other companies "independent", and complaining that Tesla doesn't have enough of those highly conflicted "independent" directors, asking for the truly independent pro-Tesla directors to be fired due to a "lack of independence".

Tesla’s Reliance on ‘Computer Vision’ Adds to Self-Driving Car Challenge | Newswise: News for Journalists

Bart Selman is professor of computer science at Cornell University and an expert on artificial intelligence safety issues:

"It is well-known that current computer vision systems can fail in quite unpredictable ways. Having multiple sensors, ideally including Lidar, are therefore critical."

It is known.

Sounds like that might fall under Clarke's first law:

When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.​

No one asked the hard questions today: if the limiting factor is gathering edge cases and labeling, why are you so focused on compute?

Or can you give us a range of optimistic vs worst-case timeline for feature-complete FSD?
Didn't he say the fleet identifies and reports edge cases it has trouble processing?

The range - next year at the latest, was in
Lex Fridman on Twitter

1. Growth is what you aren’t taking into account. Tesla’s vehicle sales in Q1, which were widely seen as very disappointing, were ~150% higher than those Q1 last year. GM’s business is essentially flat to down every year.

It's actually worse than that, GM's 2018 revenue of ~$145 billion is less than it was in 1998.

Um, why are we not discussing the FSD video posted just a few posts back?

Um, guys...it's a Model 3 driving around town, on and off highway, with no interventions...

Somebody say something!!!!

If this is what the investors saw today, I expect some upgrades tomorrow!
No kidding. I wish I could see the mapped route. There were some pretty tricky moves there.

Reactions: Nocturnal