Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stepping back and looking at the big picture: Tesla lost 700M$. What is Tesla's fundamental problem in getting to profitability?

They had +215M$ in regulatory credits (pure margin) this last quarter. They have 3 extremely well selling vehicles with essentially no apples to apples competitor worth talking about. They have extremely high brand enthusiasm. They have a vertical sales structure where they don't share profits with dealers and also do most service work. They get revenue from the refueling component. They don't spend on advertising. They get thousands of revenue per unit from high-margin SOFTWARE. Most buyers have tax incentives that are worth 4k+$.

They've got so many huge advantages yet 700M$ loss. Tesla has screwed something up along the way here.

I think tomorrow's InsideEVs estimates will be good.

I don’t mean to sound like a bear, but I’ve read that line from many here every month/quarter since last year.

If Tesla is targeting 7k/week model 3’s by end of this year, which would include production from China, you can’t expect much difference from month to month. As long as Tesla doesn't regress from one month to next, it should be taken as satisfactory. I mean there hasn’t been much change from monthly numbers going back to last year. And we haven’t heard anything that indicates increased battery production (assuming Musk is telling the truth as that being the bottleneck) this month.

IMO, even a monthly production total that calculates to a weekly average of over 5k would be a gigantic surprise.

Definitely $2/w AFTER tax credits, hah.
I don’t know the expense structure, but it doesn’t take anything to know even Tesla with their integration cannot do $2/w cash price without taking major losses. That would be crazy.
Not true at all. $2.50/W is a great price in the US, but average install prices are around $2/W almost everywhere else in the world. Germany, Australia, others.

If this first online effort gains traction, I could see Tesla lowering prices each year to match the loss in tax credit step down.

I don’t mean to sound like a bear, but I’ve read that line from many here every month/quarter since last year.

If Tesla is targeting 7k/week model 3’s by end of this year, which would include production from China, you can’t expect much difference from month to month. As long as Tesla doesn't regress from one month to next, it should be taken as satisfactory. I mean there hasn’t been much change from monthly numbers going back to last year. And we haven’t heard anything that indicates increased battery production (assuming Musk is telling the truth as that being the bottleneck) this month.

IMO, even a monthly production total that calculates to a weekly average of over 5k would be a gigantic surprise.

Well considering 50% of all cars delivered were during the last 10 days of March, many are hoping these numbers insideEV projecting to be very lumpy. I can't imagine comes April 1st, deliveries go back to normal.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I guess the short interest can rise even though the %age activity on any given day is less, if no-one is covering.

Edit: stupid graphics uploading bug on this site!!! :mad:

View attachment 402533

Interesting bit.

If 50% of the volume is short selling and the price is stable, then it means that no investors were selling.

Adam Jonas new narrative:

Can negative sentiment around the stock begin to impact the actual business? We are increasingly concerned about the impact that investor concerns over Tesla’s financial strength and forward looking liquidity position could potentially have on employee morale, customer perceptions and standing with key stakeholders and suppliers.

(Just asking the question feels more like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me.)

Other negatives offered by Adam Jonas this morning that may explain the downward move today:

10-Q reveals regulatory credits added much more to 1Q19 results than first appeared. Tesla disclosed and its 10-Q filing the addition of $200.6 million worth of non-ZEV regulatory credits which was an increase of roughly $170 million versus the prior year. We were surprised that this material amount of 100%-drop-through-revenue contribution was not disclosed or discussed during the analyst conference call. When excluding both ZEV and non-ZEV regulatory credits from Q1 results, this reveals an underlying Tesla auto gross margin close of 15.2%, which was well below our 18.4% forecast... materially changing the tone of the report, in our opinion.

Customer deposit movement and forward demand. We were surprised to see customer deposits decline modestly on a sequential basis and a quarter where unit deliveries fell nearly one-third. All else equal, this would suggest that forward reservation momentum was not sufficient to offset the delivery of vehicles to final customers which trigger a reduction in deposits. This movement in deposits in the face of a disappointing delivery quarter has raised investor concerns around forward demand.

Inventory. The $700 million increase in sequential inventory is commensurate with 14k unit gap between production and deliveries during the first quarter, on our calculations. We urge investors to continue to watch the gap between production and inventory going forward as the international roll-out continues.

its absolutely incredibly important if *shock* they want to go somewhere that is not in a small area of phenonix arizona, yes.

I'll give due props to waymo once it works where I live, where it rains, we have no road markings and the odd horse in the road. Oh and frequent dead badgers.
Don't you think that after one area they can scale to the next, quicker? Even interstate taxi drives will likely work as there is little to map in between.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
I don't know if anyone replied, but my estimate for 3/31 Finished Goods Inventory is:
1050m - New S/X (14k @ 75k COGS, +2k and +150m in Q1)
900m - New Model 3 (20k @ 45k COGS, +12k and +540m in Q1)
150m - Used cars (3k @ 50k each, flat during Q1)
50m - Solar, Powerwalls, etc.
--------
2150m Total

BTW, "New" means never titled. It includes showroom cars, demos and a lot of loaners that may have miles on them. They moved some loaners to PP&E, though, so it doesn't include those.
Cool - I didn't think of calculating this way.

The delivery report says how small the US 3 inventory is - just 2 weeks. This makes me think they'd happy with a higher level - let's say one month. So, about 8k s+x and 30k of 3.

This means, they need to cut s+x by 7k and increase 3 by about 10k. The good news is reduction in S+X will pay for increase in 3. This will probably happen over a couple of quarters.

Tesla Looks to Regain Its Luster in Solar Energy by Slashing Prices

Good move. Even if they lose money on Solar, the revenue growth will show that maybe there is some potential in TE and it will be another growth story for the SP.
Should also help with:
We have an agreement with the SUNY Foundation related to the construction of a facility in Buffalo, New York, referred to as Gigafactory 2, where we have housed the development and production of solar products and components. The terms of such agreement require us to comply with a number of covenants, including that specified portions of the total jobs required to be employed directly by Tesla in the state of New York and the total cumulative investment required to be made by Tesla be met by April 30, 2019, the first anniversary of the SUNY Foundation’s substantial completion of its construction work at the facility. We fully expect to meet these covenants on time and will report our current status to the SUNY Foundation following such anniversary.

Now that the smart ED is discontinued for North America maybe Elon should invest in a little city puddle jumper for 20 grand out the door.

Picture my wife took this morning at Home Depot. Her ED smart parked beside a distant cousin Tesla S. (I’m uncomfortable driving something with the word ED in it. That’s why I drive a real mans car, A leaf. . No wait.....

They wouldn't be able to make enough of these for Europe, these tiny city cars are phenomenally popular over her - and rightly so with the old city streets.

Adam Jonas new narrative:

Can negative sentiment around the stock begin to impact the actual business? We are increasingly concerned about the impact that investor concerns over Tesla’s financial strength and forward looking liquidity position could potentially have on employee morale, customer perceptions and standing with key stakeholders and suppliers.

(Just asking the question feels more like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me.)

Other negatives offered by Adam Jonas this morning that may explain the downward move today:

10-Q reveals regulatory credits added much more to 1Q19 results than first appeared. Tesla disclosed and its 10-Q filing the addition of $200.6 million worth of non-ZEV regulatory credits which was an increase of roughly $170 million versus the prior year. We were surprised that this material amount of 100%-drop-through-revenue contribution was not disclosed or discussed during the analyst conference call. When excluding both ZEV and non-ZEV regulatory credits from Q1 results, this reveals an underlying Tesla auto gross margin close of 15.2%, which was well below our 18.4% forecast... materially changing the tone of the report, in our opinion.

Customer deposit movement and forward demand. We were surprised to see customer deposits decline modestly on a sequential basis and a quarter where unit deliveries fell nearly one-third. All else equal, this would suggest that forward reservation momentum was not sufficient to offset the delivery of vehicles to final customers which trigger a reduction in deposits. This movement in deposits in the face of a disappointing delivery quarter has raised investor concerns around forward demand.

Inventory. The $700 million increase in sequential inventory is commensurate with 14k unit gap between production and deliveries during the first quarter, on our calculations. We urge investors to continue to watch the gap between production and inventory going forward as the international roll-out continues.

So he wants to buy more Tesla at a cheaper price? I hope Elon raises money in China instead.

Interesting. They’re “even worse” because there were non-ZEV credits; likely from the deal with FCA. I’m not sure I buy his point, though. That deal appears to be a long-term one that’ll continue to add to margins for quite a while. So long as they’re getting the money, it doesn’t really matter where it comes from. There’s no brownie points for not using the tools available.

I don't understand his logic here. In my impression, FCA deal was not included in q1 financial. Am I wrong?

Because you can't resist outrageous, snarky, light-on-facts, heavy-on-FUD Tesla hit pieces, can you:

https://dealbreaker.com/2019/04/tesla-needs-money-willing-to-ask-for-it

A sample, if you dare:
"Tesla stock is doing a Hindenburg impression because the company still can't make cars and Elon Musk is agreeing to let a judge tell him what he can tweet about, like -- you know -- an adult."