Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking about it recently. Who are they? They want to destroy Tesla/Elon and all of us bulls so badly, we don't even know who they are? that's not right.

Shorts are betting against a better future.
Shorts can only lose. Google and Apple would not let Tesla fail.

Look. I think you guys demonize shorts based on a bunch of very vocal small / retail investors in social media. In the background large hedge funds make bets based on valuation and their own analysis. Not because they are evil and want to see Tesla burn, but because they will short everything that gives their clients some gain. That's their job. They might be bad at it, or good at it. The jury is still out.

John Hempton (tesla bear) said in a recent interview (real vision, paid only):
And Elon is-- the good things you can say about Elon are at least partly true. The car is wonderful.[...]
Nobody who hasn't driven it doesn't get it, [...]

In the end game, an electric car should have the maintenance profile of an egg beater, an electric egg beater. In other words, it just won't need much maintenance. [...]

If the stock goes to 400, I won't be very unhappy. I still wish I'd never heard of the company. I've been short for a few years. And I've paid a few years of borrowed cost.I've had a small number of options expire worthless. If the stock goes to zero, I'll have a drink at Elon's expense. *And I'll actually be sad for the world.*

Awesome!!! That arbitrary cut off right between the price of a Bolt and a Model 3, then the special concessions for the Pacifica really ticked me off.

Have a link?
Unfortunately I dont because since I'm not in Canada I always get redirected. Here's a screenshot someone posted on reddit: https://i.imgur.com/ddt9uxk.jpg

Thanks everyone that responded! Also found it on youtube:
Point in the video about the convertible being free money for investors. I’d love to be able to buy a Tesla bond but us retail players are left out the market.

Musk has talked about “alternative sources of capital”. Let me help Mr Musk! There’s a limit to how many shares I’ll sweep up, gotta have some semblance of portfolio management. All me buying shares does anyway is help boost the stock option incentive return. But a retail only bond that’s also available internationally? I’m pretty sure they could fund the next Gigafactory that way if they wanted.

Tesla Canada providing a "standard range" model 3 with 150km to make sr and sr+ eligible for Canada incentive!

That's even less than the US$35,000 promised Model 3. There were some winter days where I took close to a 50% hit on range though so I hope it's a software limited pack that users can upgrade their range after they experience their first winter cold snap.
telsaprice.jpg

93 miles? Who would buy that? Also... they will lose money on that configuration for sure.

Nobody, that’s why it’s set there. The rebate availability is based on the base configuration of the car, but still applies(with some caveats) to higher specced versions. Tesla doesn’t actually have to sell any of these, they just have to be available.

TLDR: Stupid laws create stupid market forces.

93 miles? Who would buy that? Also... they will lose money on that configuration for sure.
It's likely a configuration that noone would buy, unless it's a second Tesla as a cheap city commuter. We've kept our 2012 Volt for that purpose and since getting our Model 3 last June it hasn't burned a drop of gas, even with it's tiny 50km range. It just gets driven around town for errands. When we leave town we do it in our Model 3.

What this has accomplished though is it now allows the SR+ to also get the federal incentive because there's a base version that qualifies by being priced <$45,000 (by $1!) Thank you Tesla for doing this to point out how dumb and arbitrary that $45,000 limit was and to get the SR+ a government rebate.

Last edited:
What this has accomplished though is it now allows the SR+ to also get the federal incentive because there's a base version that qualifies by being priced <$45,000 (by $1!) Thank you Tesla for doing this to point out how dumb and arbitrary that $45,000 limit was and to get the SR+ a government rebate
Not a flamethrower ==> Not a 200+ miles Tesla.
Just for regulators.

THANK YOU for posting this...been wanting to watch it.
Man that talking head guy wanted to push an agenda.

Felt bad for him. That was not an even match.

Ok that video clip is one of those “Wow. Just Wow.” moments.

Chamath nailed it.

Hmm. Mortal Kombat 'finish him' GIF is probably too NSFW for this forum... What else would work?

tenor.gif

You guys clearly beat me in time but just to make it completely crazy and because I'm a man of word, here's just another version of that interview (full) if not for anything else just that we would have more options for spreading around.
I see this situation showing two things:
1. This community is great
2. Truth is a bitch which always finds it's way out

Gofile - File sharing platform, anonymous and free

Also, started with a good analogy: can you (to the host) hit a golf ball in a cup floating in the ocean, how many tries would you need? EM has done something as difficult as that 9 out of ten times.

Musk could no doubt design a golf ball with grid fins that struck with sufficient range in the general direction of the cup always lands in it.

Profits will come with higher production volume and continued double digit quarterly Model 3 production cost reduction. Even with profits at Q1 levels though, cash flow is broadly neutral (excluding one time working capital changes) given non cash costs like depreciation & warranty reserve and deferred revenue.

How much was depreciation during Q1?