Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that. But the total in those 3 countries is about 1,500 deliveries in April. Where did the other 9,000 in-transit cars go? I still think many were indeed done in US and Canada.

Those three countries make up a bit over half of European deliveries. So nearly double it. Then there's Chinese deliveries - they got as many ships, yet appear to have made less deliveries than Europe (due to customs delays), meaning even more inventory. And beyond the EU and China, there's also Canada and Mexico (although they won't represent much inventory) for Model 3, and a good number of additional markets for S+X.

The combination of information indicates that Panasonic was having a very high scrap rate on their battery cell production -- in excess of 30%. That WILL lead to large losses.
That, that, that is astonishing!

Precision in chemical engineering is always a hard problem, a problem I know that China struggles with. Chinese drug companies can't produce generic drugs with the same effectiveness. So poor Chinese people are forced to buy imports with sky high prices. The imprecision is the leading cause of battery cell quality problem.

I did not know everybody struggles with it. I suspect LG and Samsung are probably at the same level. I guess the 30% scrap rate is due to the fact that Tesla has a higher acceptance standard and pretty good quality verification system. Other EV builders are probably forced to eat the lower quality cells, leading to the low efficiency in their offerings.

I know I'm not the only one wondering when, not if, Tesla will unveil their own cell lines. We know how much they obsess over vertical integration. Their problems with Panasonic will only accelerate the push to in-house this last key element.

Wouldn't be surprised if Grohmann is working on it right now.

Would not surprise me whatever Maxwell tech is implemented in batteries may not include Panasonic producing it. Maybe Panasonic knows this too, explains the cut back in investing.

• Informative
Reactions: Thumper and neroden
I’ve had other pressing issues last couple of days so I can’t catch up to the 500+ posts that I’ve missed.

Briefly scanning, the most worrisome (or depressing I suppose) is that the battery investment/production from Panasonic seems to have flatlined and that’s a real limiter to profitability.

Hopefully, I’ve just scanned too briefly.

Am I wrong?

Thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: dc_h
It was in Tesla's frickin' quarterly update letter. (Though those who were paying attention knew about it already.)

I don't feel the need to be polite about this.

giphy (1).gif

But at the end of last quarter there were 10,000 or so cars in transit, so wouldn't most of those have been for U.S or Canada delivery?
Since you're new here, I'll be polite.

"No."

Those cars were (mostly) on ships. They were supposed to make it to Europe and China at the end of March. They didn't. They landed at the beginning of April. They were delivered in April. (Then there's a gap of no deliveries in Europe, as Karen explained, before the cars being produced in April make it to Europe and China.)

I have been following the Tesla story for some time. I am a recenty retired pilot for Fed-Ex so I am well acquainted with most overseas locations Tesla sells cars. I can see rudeness continues to dog New Yorkers like yourself. ;)

If you stick around, you'll notice that @neroden tends to be... blunt. But usually fair. We love him anyway.

they don’t need one, yet
hopefully they won’t.
they’ve been up against the wall before. i don’t think this is as dire a situation as last year, despite the www’s implication
I know. OPs premise is so flawed it's hardly worth replying. Tesla will be cashflow positive again next quarter and won't need any outside help. The only reason to get external capital is to mitigate unforeseen risk or expand more quickly.

Well wouldn't there have been a spike in deliveries in Norway/Netherlands/Spain?
There was, dude.
I just saw a chart someone posted and there were just gradual daily sales in April in those countries.
You misread the chart. It was cumulative deliveries for the month, not daily deliveries. Understandable mistake, it was poorly labelled, but you should have noticed that the lines only ever went up. Notice lots of deliveries early, then flatlining (indicating zero deliveries) late in the month.

Being a competent investor requires some attention to detail, including noticing things like that.

Per April 12th Tesla sold 660 cars, 606 of those TM3, 40 TMX, 14 TMS in Norway.

In Mars they sold 5828 cars, 5315 of those TM3. This was exceptional - pent up TM3 cars from years back.

In Mars 2018 they sold 1409 cars. 727 were TMX. 682 TMS

Are you aware of the rapidgate issue some Leaf owners are experiencing?

Can't TM3 charge on CHADEMO with the adapter in America? AFAIK the American TM3 do not have CCS but the standard type2 my TMX has. And I charge with CHADEMO occasionally.

Unfortunately there are no Chademo or CCS adapters in North American for the model 3

The Leaf plus does not suffer from the “rapid gate” issues of the standard Leaf.

Those three countries make up a bit over half of European deliveries. So nearly double it. Then there's Chinese deliveries - they got as many ships, yet appear to have made less deliveries than Europe (due to customs delays), meaning even more inventory. And beyond the EU and China, there's also Canada and Mexico (although they won't represent much inventory) for Model 3, and a good number of additional markets for S+X.
Right, thanks for this, Karen. So a rough estimate might be that the inventory-in-transit at the end of Q1 was 3000 Europe, 4000 China, 3000 North America (including Canada/Mexico).