Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I'm providing context and background for macroeconomic events which dropped TSLA in the premarket, as I understand the events:

Last time Trump used China and the government shutdown to crash the markets was when the Mueller investigation intensified and Trump fired his then Attorney General and picked a new, unqualified Attorney General, whose only qualification was that he attacked the Mueller investigation internally within the DOJ:

Robert Mueller is about to testify publicly in the next two weeks about the crimes his prosecutors found and recommended charging Trump with, and I expect it to be televised. Trump's reply was expected: distraction after distraction.

That "exoneration" by the Robert Mueller report Trump and Fox News touted for weeks? It's a lie, it never happened, and we still don't know what's exactly in the Mueller Report.

Prediction: I expect more fireworks and distractions.

I'm providing context and background for macroeconomic events which dropped TSLA in the premarket, as I understand the events:

Last time Trump used China and the government shutdown to crash the markets was when the Mueller investigation intensified and Trump fired his then Attorney General and picked a new, unqualified Attorney General, whose only qualification was that he attacked the Mueller investigation internally within the DOJ:

Robert Mueller is about to testify publicly in the next two weeks about the crimes his prosecutors found and recommended charging Trump with, and I expect it to be televised. Trump's reply was expected: distraction after distraction.

That "exoneration" by the Robert Mueller report Trump and Fox News touted for weeks? It's a lie, it never happened, and we still don't know what's exactly in the Mueller Report.

Prediction: I expect more fireworks and distractions.
Trump Derangement Syndrome----Tesla Derangement Syndrome: 2 sides of the same coin.

@ggr : Ok, this thread by all accounts has gone off the rails and I admit I have been a part of it, infrequently, but still a part.

Your job as 'mod' is thankless but I have to question moving my link to Trump imposing an increase tariff tweet that I think most would agree will effect the SP of TSLA off'Tesla and the Investment World' (this) thread.o_O

From what I can tell it did not send us spinning off into some political debate.

~~~NEVER use open forum to whine to or about Mods. No quicker way to be invited to step through Vetinari's OTHER office door.~~~~

Vetinari

Pm'd you Vetinari. ( @AudubonB )

Last edited:
Mercedes EQC production launched. It beats Model X standard on price and range. However, I bet the production will be low and Daimler will lose money hand over fist selling these puppies (battery size is 80kwh).

Mercedes-Benz EQC sales release & start of production: Electrified Mercedes hits the road | marsMediaSite

The EQC range is far lower than X, and for a far smaller car. The EQC base range is 445km NEDC or 276 miles. This is likely around 210 miles EPA (could be lower) compared to the base Model X at 250 miles.
I don't know why EQC is even reporting NEDC anymore, the standard should be WLTP in Europe now.

Also worth noting each EQC will make €10-20k per car in the EU from emissions penalty reduction. Without this it is unlikely to have a positive gross margin so Daimler will never be incentivised to produce or sell more than the minimum required to meet legal emissions targets.

Last edited:
The EQC range is far lower than X, and for a far smaller car. The EQC base range is 445km NEDC or 276 miles. This is likely around 210 miles EPA (could be lower) compared to the base Model X at 250 miles.
I don't know why EQC is even reporting NEDC anymore, the standard should be WLTP in Europe now.

If you can’t match or beat, marketing says change the measurement.

From what i've read, NEDC is a complete scam where they can show inflated numbers. Even WLTP is not that great, but it's an improvement. Great for someone like Mercedes trying to drum up their fake EV competition.

A lot of car owners internationally use the US EPA numbers and just convert because the EPA has reasonable real world estimates.

lies about range can only go so far though. you only have to see a tesla whizz past you while you sit in your EV still charging to get the message that your next car will be a tesla :D
A poor experience may cause people to go back to ICE, which is unfortunate. There's a thread on the Mynissanleaf forum talking about disappointed Leaf owners going back to gasoline cars. Other automakers need to make them good enough to where at least they trade in their current BEV for another BEV (hopefully a Tesla) even if it's not a Tesla, for the mission.

Interesting why there is so little in the media about the FCA credits - how much and when payable.
This probably explains matters

FCA Credits from pooling with Tesla

Tesla delayed disclosing $200.6 million in Q1 credit sales

“....It’s unclear whether the deal with Fiat Chrysler is already yielding non-ZEV regulatory credit sales. When an analyst asked for more detail on Tesla’s arrangement with the carmaker during last week’s earnings call, Musk demurred.

“It’s a confidential deal with FCA,” he said. “We agreed with FCA not to comment on it publicly, so we must abide by that.”...”

Also worth noting each EQC will make €10-20k per car in the EU from emissions penalty reduction. Without this it is unlikely to have a positive gross margin so Daimler will never be incentivised to produce or sell more than the minimum required to meet legal emissions targets.
That may be quite a few. They have to make almost as much emission improvements as FCA, and their market share is about the same. Without running the numbers, I’d guess they need to build and sell as many as they can (>100,000), even at the kind of losses you quoted.

Reactions: generalenthu
Interesting why there is so little in the media about the FCA credits - how much and when payable.
This probably explains matters

FCA Credits from pooling with Tesla

Tesla delayed disclosing $200.6 million in Q1 credit sales

“....It’s unclear whether the deal with Fiat Chrysler is already yielding non-ZEV regulatory credit sales. When an analyst asked for more detail on Tesla’s arrangement with the carmaker during last week’s earnings call, Musk demurred.

“It’s a confidential deal with FCA,” he said. “We agreed with FCA not to comment on it publicly, so we must abide by that.”...”
Ferengi Commerce Authority? ;)