Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The news is about as negative as I've seen it in the last few years. So either Tesla is headed to bankruptcy or it's poised to launch.

Demand problems are still being discussed, which don't make sense. If demand for EVs is so finite, then why are the other automakers scrambling to enter this supposedly niche market?

I believe the Great Firewall is smart enough to know the difference between Chinese citizens and foreign travelers based on their devices and habits. That's why a lot of travelers seem to end up thinking "It's not so bad...". But it's also possible that TMC isn't on any black list there.
If you are on international roaming, you're not blocked.

Once you are on local wifi or local phone plan, you're screwed

Mercedes EQC production launched. It beats Model X standard on price and range. However, I bet the production will be low and Daimler will lose money hand over fist selling these puppies (battery size is 80kwh).

Mercedes-Benz EQC sales release & start of production: Electrified Mercedes hits the road | marsMediaSite

Uh...how does it beat on range? The upper end of their range quote is 270 miles, which is less than the model x i drive. But also it is using the european range estimate which is usually much higher (generous) than the US range rating.

The news is about as negative as I've seen it in the last few years. So either Tesla is headed to bankruptcy or it's poised to launch.

Demand problems are still being discussed, which don't make sense. If demand for EVs is so finite, then why are the other automakers scrambling to enter this supposedly niche market?
The negativity has been brutal, but I think we have turned a corner. Put me in the poised to launch category.

Yahoo seems to have issues with word meanings:
keepUsingThatWord.PNG

Sounds pretty poor to me, except perhaps price, quoting from from Electrek Mercedes-Benz starts production of EQC electric SUV:

Mercedes-Benz has announced a range of a 450km (280 miles), but the company was still using the NEDC standard when it made the announcement.

It wouldn’t be surprising if the real-world range is much closer to around 200 miles on a single charge.

The battery pack will be powered by 2 asynchronous motors with a total capacity of 300 kW (408 hp). It can achieve a top speed of 180 km/h (111 mph) and an acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.1 seconds.

According to the spec sheet, the EQC is equipped with a water-cooled onboard charger with a capacity of 7.4 kW and has a maximum capacity of “up to 110 kW at an appropriate charging station.“

The German automaker has yet to confirm the price in most markets, but it has an MSRP of 71,281.00€ in Germany (including 19% VAT).

Maybe as a nice second car for the school-run, like the Audi.

The price is not interesting...except for reaching the German subsidy for a bare-bones sub €60K excl VAT list price.... the MSRP of €71K is funny. I just configured the top of the line "Service+" (sic) model with all available options and I come out at €102K incl. 19% VAT. (Pretty much what my long range MS is here) I could have added another €5K for Service options..... so €30K of options.... incl. a fire extinguisher (€130) mounted under the front passenger seat :D

Last edited:
The price is not interesting...except for reaching the German subsidy for a bare-bones sub €60K excl VAT list price.... the MSRP of €71K is funny. I just configured the top of the line "Service+" (sic) model with all available options and I come out at €102K incl. 19% VAT. I could have added another €5K for Service options..... so €30K of options.... incl. a fire extinguisher (€130) mounted under the front passenger seat :D

Well, at least they are ready for all those battery fires !

OT

I believe the Great Firewall is smart enough to know the difference between Chinese citizens and foreign travelers based on their devices and habits. That's why a lot of travelers seem to end up thinking "It's not so bad...". But it's also possible that TMC isn't on any black list there.

Can't confirm that. When I travel I China I use ExpressVPN on all my devices because this assumption is exactly right ONLY for those benign (in the Chinese govt. opinion) websites such as TMC. Trying to access other websites is a challenge, and VPN is often the only way to make it work (assuming the VPN server you select is currently working).

Tesla Model 3 saved me : teslamotors

According to the driver, he got rear ended when slowing down for an exit. Looks superhuman to me how quick the car swerve to the left after getting rear ended and avoided frontal damage.

At least in this case the superhuman reaction time and split second decision made is arguably better than the best human driver.

To play the devil's advocate here, let me ask the question:
Did the Tesla really check to see that there was no vehicle coming at higher speed on that left lane before swerving into it, or did it just get lucky ???
Prior to the collision there were vehicles passing the car on the left lane...

1) Because China's 28 million new vehicle market has a ZEV mandate, which will require sales of at least 560,000 or more PEVs every year.
1) Because US ZEV states have something like a 6.8 million new vehicle market, which will require sales of 161,500 plug-ins next year.
2) Because China's 28 million market and US ZEV states' 6.8M markets are going to have ZEV mandates ramp up every year until 2025. I'm not sure how China's rules work on PHEV share, but US ZEV rules are increasingly making PHEV unattractive.
3) Because the EU market is going to have tougher fuel economy standards from next year and those will get even tougher over the next few years.
4) Because diesel sales have reduced significantly in the EU+EFTA market and that has forced manufacturers' hands.

The "commitments" from manufacturers came after China announced its ZEV mandate. The combined impact is large enough that half-hearted efforts will quickly become very expensive (credit purchases, rebates), and also risks medium to long-term impact as falling costs of electrification grow demand.

Whatever manufacturers think about electrification, the regulatory environment is forcing their hand. FCA has found out the hard way.

I know it is phone based. A few ppl who bought huawei phones and traveled to China with it. The phone ended up having the chinese censorship effect after they left china.

So go to China with a disposable phone.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
It sounded to me like Dojo was part of their path to have a NN determine driving behavior, instead of heuristics. It also sounded to me like they are at infancy (give or take) for this project. Would you agree?
That was my take.

Maybe beyond infancy. I suspect Musk wouldn’t have mentioned it as a big project unless they had some promising results or proof of concept already. So, some further research with a simultaneous move to scale?

Purely speculation though.

Last edited: