Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot reorganisation.
Tesla restructures Autopilot software team, Elon takes the reins

Why does stuff like this come out early in the morning.
They must be releasing info at like 12 AM California time.

This just looks like Elon making AP his number 1 priority (along with service) this year as you would expect now production is running smoothly.
Moving from 3 AP team heads reporting directly to him to at least 4 (including Kovac).

“Under Mr. Karpathy, Milan Kovac makes sure the vision software works well with hardware on the vehicle, including the Nvidia-made microchips that power it.”

Since it is before market open there are only 46 model 3's as inventory cars in the entire US.
SR+ 33, LRRWD 2, Performance 11
0 in Canada.

New inventory in US
Model S 504
Model X 205

Demand is the problem. TOO MUCH DEMAND !
I checked the new model Ss and for most part found that they are floor models. Just anecdotally speaking from a small random sample.

Also, I noticed that Elon said he expects Tesla to be cash flow neutral until the robotaxi fleet is activated. However, two days later he said they expect to be cash flow positive for Q2 (and Q3) !!

I may be misremembering (or filtering), but I thought the cash flow neutral was for when they were producing robotaxis, which will not occur till next year (at the earliest). Cash flow positive till they start building their own fleet, neutral during that phase, then positive AFter.

moral stress

I hope you meant morale stress...

This just looks like Elon making AP his number 1 priority (along with service) this year as you would expect now production is running smoothly.
Moving from 3 AP team heads reporting directly to him to at least 4 (including Kovac).

“Under Mr. Karpathy, Milan Kovac makes sure the vision software works well with hardware on the vehicle, including the Nvidia-made microchips that power it.”

These are some of the key people in the Autopilot team according to The Information last year. I’d guess some more of these now also report directly to Elon, perhaps Frank, Mark and Drew.

• Guangzhi Cao, who previously worked on iPhone cameras at Apple, develops software to process image data that comes from cameras on Tesla’s cars.
  • Frank Havlak is one of the clear leaders of Autopilot. He is in charge of controls, which make sure the vehicle’s steering, braking and acceleration respond correctly to the Autopilot software decisions.
  • Ashok Elluswamy, who was trained in robotics and learned about computer vision on the job at Tesla and is now effectively the senior most neural network researcher under Mr. Karpathy. Mr. Elluswamy helped develop the automatic lane change feature for the original launch of Autopilot.
  • Mark McClelland works on the path planner, which determines the path the vehicle will travel based on what the Autopilot perception system “sees” on the road. He has been hard at work preparing for the recent update that allows a driver to type an address and let Autopilot take over the driving to follow the navigation instructions when the vehicle is on a highway.
  • CJ Moore runs the “integration” team, which acts as the liaison between Autopilot and the rest of Tesla. He makes sure, for instance, that Tesla’s user-interface team, which designs the digital displays of information in the Tesla vehicles, including those about Autopilot, gets the correct measurements from the Autopilot system in real time. He also is responsible for quality control to identify and assign fixes to bugs discovered by the company’s test-track drivers and, later, by “alpha testers,” or real customers who get early access to Autopilot software before updates are pushed to all customers. And those discovered by Mr. Musk, of course.
  • Zeljko Popovic, who works for Mr. Bowers, was a liaison between Tesla and Mobileye early in the life of Autlopilot, said a person briefed about it. He recently had been running a team that helped bring together data from cameras, radars and ultrasonics, known as sensor fusion, so that Tesla’s Autopilot software algorithms could use that data and decide how the car should drive.
  • Drew Steedly is responsible for “geometric vision and perception.” That means he tries to make sure the sensors are calibrated correctly and provide useful data. Mr. Steedly is based in Seattle, and while the employee list does not reflect it, he appears to be overseeing Mr. Popovic’s work, according to a colleague.

The latest short interest report came out yesterday and short interest rocketed up 4.5M shares to 37.9M from 4/15 to 4/30.

Short interest increased 13.1M shares in 3 months, from 24.8M shares on 1/31. And it's probably even higher now.

The extra 13.1M shares shorted have the same effect on supply/demand as Tesla's largest institutional investor -- Baillie Gifford -- selling all 13.2M of its shares over a three month period.

The good news is that TSLA short sellers historically have a strong record of "shorting low, covering high" -- the short sellers' version of "buy high, sell low."

They certainly have chased the TSLA share price down again this time as shown in this chart from Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter.

IhorShorts050819.jpg

Last edited:
From CNBC:
  • "Exports that have already left Chinese ports before May 10 will not be subject to the increase," says Goldman Sachs economist Jan Hatzius. "This creates an unofficial window, potentially lasting a couple of weeks, in which negotiations can continue and generates a 'soft' deadline to reach a deal."

Autopilot reorganisation.
Tesla restructures Autopilot software team, Elon takes the reins

Why does stuff like this come out early in the morning.
They must be releasing info at like 12 AM California time.
You neglected an Elektrec warning. Given Fred's mission has become clickbait I don't believe anything published on Elektrec without independent confirmation. Put another way, I feel like reading anything there requires evaluation of each statement/claim/fact like the following:

:) true
:( mostly true
o_O factually accurate, but misleading
:rolleyes: Fred writing for the lulz
:mad: Fred whining/baiting

Saw it, was gonna repost it, but you beat me to it.

Maybe we should take a poll to see how many people truly believe Elon when he says this. I'm a pretty big elon fan... but even I have a hard time believing this. I wonder what % of the tmc audience believe this statement haha.

Note that I'm not an owner of a Tesla (yet). I'm in it for the long game and have put those funds in TSLA instead. That said, I'm now a believer after seeing this video of the newest firmware making lane changes:

Very impressive changes indeed!

Note that I'm not an owner of a Tesla (yet). I'm in it for the long game and have put those funds in TSLA instead. That said, I'm now a believer after seeing this video of the newest firmware making lane changes:

Very impressive changes indeed!
The thing to remember about AP and NOA is that your mileage can, and will, vary. I forget the version number, but it was at least two, if not three or four, back that it worked really well for me. Including one case where, before the non-confirmation was enabled, my Tesla took over and took me through a couple of interchanges leaving the interstate. For which I was very grateful due to traffic volume and rapidity of shifts. It was inspiring as to what FSD could achieve. And then I got an update.

And its little things, like a road I commonly traverse that has a mildly awkward curve. Human drivers frequently cross the line even though there's no real reason to and autosteer was no different. But I'd keep trying (if there was no oncoming traffic). And then an update occurred and it drove it flawlessly every time. Until the next update. Currently its close to where it used to be: a disengagement results from my forcing the car to stay on the correct side of the line.

And yet, these same updates that made my experience less good improved the experience of many others. While this variance may simply be due to the complexity of the problem, I think it is inherent when relying on neural nets and you trade certainty for probability.

With some problems, e.g., computer vision, you are trading the certainty of it not working for the probability of work. Whatever the probability is, its better than the certainty of it not working, and neural nets can be trained for high probability of recognition. This is why computer vision is done with neural nets -- but Tesla's approach is to extend this model throughout the computer driving model so you trade certainty of working in a giving situation for a probability that it will work. Not only will regressions occur, but you cannot readily predict under what circumstances they will occur.

So you get two steps forward, one step back and some people only experience the backwards step even though most of them experience at least one net step forward.

Just a point of caution about optimism relating to any specific video or testimony about progress with autopilot. By the same token, a further point of caution about skepticism relating to any specific video or testimony about issues. While progress towards FSD will not be monotonic it is happening.

The latest short interest report came out yesterday and short interest rocketed up 4.5M shares to 37.9M from 4/15 to 4/30.

Short interest increased 13.1M shares in 3 months, from 24.8M shares on 1/31. And it's probably even higher now.

View attachment 406124

The 13 million additional shorted shares, plus another 8 million shares sold by T Rowe in Q1, that's over 20 million shares, I wonder who bought these shares?

For decades this limitation has been good etiquette for ham radio operators where they are contacting citizens of distant nations where politics and religious practice varies widely. Still works today.

That leaves us with a large blind spot since politics will affect the stock. We gain nothing by keeping our heads in the sand regarding an important topic. It may get ugly at times but we can't just pretend the topic doesn't exist.