Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That leaves us with a large blind spot since politics will affect the stock. We gain nothing by keeping our heads in the sand regarding an important topic. It may get ugly at times but we can't just pretend the topic doesn't exist.
Sure we can. What good is it going to do to hash it out here anyway? Is anybody going to change anybody else's opinion? Is it going to change the behavior of the politicians involved? Is it going to change the impact it has on the stock? I think people here are smart enough to research whatever developments there might be and make their own decisions regarding their investment strategies. But hey, that's just me. Mr. passive agressive. LOL!

Dan

The thing to remember about AP and NOA is that your mileage can, and will, vary. I forget the version number, but it was at least two, if not three or four, back that it worked really well for me. Including one case where, before the non-confirmation was enabled, my Tesla took over and took me through a couple of interchanges leaving the interstate. For which I was very grateful due to traffic volume and rapidity of shifts. It was inspiring as to what FSD could achieve. And then I got an update.

And its little things, like a road I commonly traverse that has a mildly awkward curve. Human drivers frequently cross the line even though there's no real reason to and autosteer was no different. But I'd keep trying (if there was no oncoming traffic). And then an update occurred and it drove it flawlessly every time. Until the next update. Currently its close to where it used to be: a disengagement results from my forcing the car to stay on the correct side of the line.

And yet, these same updates that made my experience less good improved the experience of many others. While this variance may simply be due to the complexity of the problem, I think it is inherent when relying on neural nets and you trade certainty for probability.

With some problems, e.g., computer vision, you are trading the certainty of it not working for the probability of work. Whatever the probability is, its better than the certainty of it not working, and neural nets can be trained for high probability of recognition. This is why computer vision is done with neural nets -- but Tesla's approach is to extend this model throughout the computer driving model so you trade certainty of working in a giving situation for a probability that it will work. Not only will regressions occur, but you cannot readily predict under what circumstances they will occur.

So you get two steps forward, one step back and some people only experience the backwards step even though most of them experience at least one net step forward.

Just a point of caution about optimism relating to any specific video or testimony about progress with autopilot. By the same token, a further point of caution about skepticism relating to any specific video or testimony about issues. While progress towards FSD will not be monotonic it is happening.

You are part of the stochastic gradient descent... ;)

We did ? In theory it shouldn't be that difficult, with 7 billion human beings, only 20 million of us are needed for that who can and want to buy one extra share :)

Actually i've no idea who bought in large volume, but do hope that people/funds who are in now don't intend on selling for a tiny profit.

Institution investors have to disclose their Q1 holding by May 15, let's see :)

That leaves us with a large blind spot since politics will affect the stock. We gain nothing by keeping our heads in the sand regarding an important topic. It may get ugly at times but we can't just pretend the topic doesn't exist.

Agreed, the impact of politics is real. It is real on the space station as well but the mixed political crew has to function to meet their goals. They do it and we can too. We have to avoid the divisive arguments and build respectful connections. Respectful connections overcomes a lot. And try not to feed the trolls.

So we focus on the policies, topics, data and the news but a little less on the personalities and philosophies. Difficult but mostly doable and I think rewarding in the end.

There are times when a tipping point is reached. I think an unassisted continental transit in a commercially available vehicle will be a pretty big event. There will be a story behind it involving individuals and teams. There will be witness stories and film documentaries. It will lead the news and impact the markets and change our view of the world.

Marking the beginning of the end of the drudgery and danger of human driving that cost millions of lives over many decades will be such an event.

Well I went 5x on my shares in the last month or two. Hopefully a lot of other Tesla owners did too.
I doubled my shares since March 2019. All I could do. No cash left.

PS: Total value at the time of purchase corresponds approximately to my annual salary. I do not share value to avoid tears (of pity) :eek:.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to start my own EV based website called something like Electrik.co where I(and my source(s).....gotta have those sources) will post the opposite of Fred's writings

Todays article "Elon remains head of autopilot like he's been for past year......Tesla as tech company continues normal turnover rate as every other tech company does"

Since Freds legitimacy is based on his "sources" , I'd say my make believe website is just as credible as his ;)

Next weeks headline "Microsoft, Amazon, Google next companies to go under due to average tech turnover rate!"

Autopilot reorganisation.
Tesla restructures Autopilot software team, Elon takes the reins

Why does stuff like this come out early in the morning.
They must be releasing info at like 12 AM California time.

I know, right? I thought I'd investigate this, and it turns out there's this large land-mass a few thousand miles east of the USA, with a weird name that looks hard to pronounce. "Europe"? Well, after further investigation it turns out that those guys have the internet too, and they contribute to blogs, and here's the really weird thing. They're like, 5 - 7 hours ahead of New York time wise, so they're basically living in the future. Mind. Blown.

Anyway, the dude who wrote that story is in the UK (the same as H G Wells!) but you should tweet him and tell him that California is the center of the known universe and he should definitely only publish stories at 2pm SoCal time.

Last edited:
What kind of market is there for a 2-door Coupe /Convertible for M3?
(2 door sports edition M3 would really be a fun drive)
Well, my family friend who is in his 60s just bought a stupid Jaguar convertible becuase "Tesla didn't have one" . Give me a break. I've been talking to him about Tesla/renewable energy/climate change since 2013 and he gets it, yet he pulls a stunt like this. So ****ing stupid.

I think I'm going to start my own EV based website called something like Electrik.co where I(and my source(s).....gotta have those sources) will post the opposite of Fred's writings

Todays article "Elon remains head of autopilot like he's been for past year......Tesla as tech company continues normal turnover rate as every other tech company does"

Since Freds legitimacy is based on his "sources" , I'd say my make believe website is just as credible as his ;)

Next weeks headline "Microsoft, Amazon, Google next companies to go under due to average tech turnover rate!"
Hmm.. this makes me think back to the email Tesla sent out to its employees regarding leaks... and the importance of not leaking any information. Is it possible that Tesla is trying to find Fred's source(s)? Elon did have that spat with Fred on twitter recently...

Hmm.. this makes me think back to the email Tesla sent out to its employees regarding leaks... and the importance of not leaking any information. Is it possible that Tesla is trying to find Fred's source(s)? Elon did have that spat with Fred on twitter recently...
They certainly should. Loose lips sink ships.

Didn’t coast to coast FSD already happened 2018? Or was it 2017?
Well, Delphi did one in 2015 (well, 99% did it anyway -- apparently it had difficulty with semis, pulling left for vehicles stopped on the right, navigating construction zones, or tracking lane markings)[1][2]

There was another stunt more recently that I can't recall the company behind, nor could I find it in searching. But to my knowledge no one has done an actual coast-to-coast self driving, even when only counting highway miles.

1) Autonomous Car to Drive Coast-to-Coast
2) Delphi self-driving car goes coast-to-coast, autonomously - ExtremeTech

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon