Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP 2.x and 3 can definitely navigate around construction cones/barrels as I’ve let it do so on many occasions on recent firmware.

In this case there’s a good chance it would have moved over if the semi wasn’t in the right lane.

I don't know what you have that I don't. But my hardware 2.5 model S goes straight towards cones 100% of the time. I've never seen any of my Tesla's move an inch or slow down to avoid hitting cones big or small.

Regarding the one cast frame machine Tesla have patented:
Anybody understand how the inside parts of the die avoid being trapped inside the frame forever?

US20190217380 MULTI-DIRECTIONAL UNIBODY CASTING MACHINE FOR A VEHICLE FRAME AND ASSOCIATED METHODS

I am assuming the inner portions somehow translate away and then down. Hell of a trick.
I also assume that pieces are so snug that no molten metal seeps into join cracks creating a clean up task.
Nobody else has attempted this. That suggests it’s difficult, or something has changed in the casting world to make it possible. Could that thing be superior die making tolerances?

Anybody understand how the inside parts of the die avoid being trapped inside the frame forever?

US20190217380 MULTI-DIRECTIONAL UNIBODY CASTING MACHINE FOR A VEHICLE FRAME AND ASSOCIATED METHODS

I am assuming the inner portions somehow translate away and then down. Hell of a trick.
I also assume that pieces are so snug that no molten metal seeps into join cracks creating a clean up task.
Nobody else has attempted this. That suggests it’s difficult, or something has changed in the casting world to make it possible. Could that thing be superior die making tolerances?
Or there was no reason to change from the previous methods because the competitors were using the same methods.

There seems to be quite a lot of back slapping going on here at the moment.

General themes are that the Y will arrive months ahead of schedule, maxcells are imminent and GF3 will be ahead of its aggressive schedule.

Some people here are setting themselves up for disappointment with these accelerated timeframes.

Remember the relatively simple raven upgrade is still getting up to speed, this change has to be substantially easier than the other items on the list.

Do you think Elon has met his forecasting spirit animal who told him to sandbag?
Dude I don't even know what but this is probably the most prescient thing going. And deserves an SP of double

I would imagine that no revolutionary technical solutions are required - just solving lots of problems on 1 machine adds significant risk / time / complexity. Automotive is the only industry that this is worth attempting for the first time.

Reactions: neroden
Not a battery factory, a lithium factory, or that's what I think. Sounds like a consortium of CATL, LG and Tesla. Not known if all the supply is for Tesla or a shared resource for global supply. Hard to see Elon working on anything that isn't focused 100% on Tesla, but there's the mission.

Tesla is looking to build a lithium battery raw material factory in Indonesia, claims report

From what I remember , the crystal structure of aluminum castings is significantly less strong than forged or rolled material. This property must be designed around with larger cross sections, gussets etc. Have there been improvements in this area in the last few years? How do the mavens here see this issue for the giant injection molding machine?

I asked this question a bit ago when Elon first mentioned reducing Model Y to two parts from 70.

Upon investigation I believe it’ll be a non issue. With a caveat: the aluminum cast will be plenty strong enough, (I think it’s got to be aluminum not steel, just for weight reduction alone) provided that it is cooled properly in the first place. That’ll be tricky with different thicknesses required at various points. Any section cooled too fast and the metal can become brittle or crack.

But if it’s done right, then any cracking due to an accident and the car was a write off before the casting cracked.

Yes, casting machines exist currently that are big enough to do two part frames, but not single part frames. One would have to be built. I guess that’s why Tesla appears to be doing it themselves - yet again.

25% of fund short Tesla!?! Wow. World of hurt coming buddy.

But is that really different than any of us longs that are in for that much of our investment totals? We’ve got a good number of investors that are all in. And yes, some of them lost a shirt or two in the past.

He doesn’t have much going for him, but he’s at least committed. Everybody has one redeeming quality.

I’m not even sure he’ll ever feel any pain because I’m not convinced he’s playing with his own money. And he certainly doesn’t care about coming across like a fool.

I asked this question a bit ago when Elon first mentioned reducing Model Y to two parts from 70.

Upon investigation I believe it’ll be a non issue. With a caveat: the aluminum cast will be plenty strong enough, (I think it’s got to be aluminum not steel, just for weight reduction alone) provided that it is cooled properly in the first place. That’ll be tricky with different thicknesses required at various points. Any section cooled too fast and the metal can become brittle or crack.

But if it’s done right, then any cracking due to an accident and the car was a write off before the casting cracked.

Yes, casting machines exist currently that are big enough to do two part frames, but not single part frames. One would have to be built. I guess that’s why Tesla appears to be doing it themselves - yet again.

So perhaps the first iteration of the casting system will be that rear bumper update that will reduce wields from 70 to 4? Will be interesting to see if they build on this incrementally on a path to casting the whole body.

But is that really different than any of us longs that are in for that much of our investment totals? We’ve got a good number of investors that are all in. And yes, some of them lost a shirt or two in the past.

He doesn’t have much going for him, but he’s at least committed. Everybody has one redeeming quality.

I’m not even sure he’ll ever feel any pain because I’m not convinced he’s playing with his own money. And he certainly doesn’t care about coming across like a fool.
Very different, in the unlikely event of a short squeeze there is no limit to the losses. You can only lose the value of your stock, he can lose the value of his position and keep losing.

Reactions: neroden and Yuri_G
So perhaps the first iteration of the casting system will be that rear bumper update that will reduce wields from 70 to 4? Will be interesting to see if they build on this incrementally on a path to casting the whole body.

Yes, that’s what it sounds like is the path they currently plan to take. Elon said the single piece would come later, which makes sense if a casting machine has to be built to make the task possible. It’s mind blowing.