Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course the market for $200K cars are small. Porsche is fine with that. I see this being a sustained strong seller, maybe not at the sales numbers Porsche been hyping among the elite it will be an alternative to Tesla (expect this to do very well in California).

The $200K avg price is due to Porsche being the most profitable brand out there and contributing mightily to VW's net profit. Bloomberg states Porsche makes an average of $17K..........Yes, $17K profit per vehicle. Porsche is not going to let an EV dent that average.
hmmm... so you are saying $200k avg price and $17k profit so 8.5% gross margin? At those price points it is a substantial chunk of change, but I expected Porsche to have better margins. Am I missing something?

Of course the market for $200K cars are small. Porsche is fine with that. I see this being a sustained strong seller, maybe not at the sales numbers Porsche been hyping among the elite it will be an alternative to Tesla (expect this to do very well in California).

The $200K avg price is due to Porsche being the most profitable brand out there and contributing mightily to VW's net profit. Bloomberg states Porsche makes an average of $17K..........Yes, $17K profit per vehicle. Porsche is not going to let an EV dent that average.
Porsche’s brand is built around ICE. It has an untested brand around BEV. Jaguar and Audi have respected ICE brand, but have been meager BEV brand.

Is Porsche exempt from this trend? I’m thinking it will be an uphill battle right from the gate.

The bottomline: you can’t be a volume ice company and succeed as a volume bev company.

hmmm... so you are saying $200k avg price and $17k profit so 8.5% gross margin? At those price points it is a substantial chunk of change, but I expected Porsche to have better margins. Am I missing something?

$17K was their average margin for ALL cars sold across their existing ICE lineup since couple years ago. IIRC, they aim to maintain at least a 15% margin on all their sales. That tells you what their ASP is. Pretty significant what Porsche buyers will pay. So, no surprise Porsche would try the Taycan at 911 prices.

Last edited:
$17,250 was their average margin for ALL cars sold across their existing ICE lineup. Pretty significant.
So you are saying I got it right and they have a low gross margin? I would've expected the $200k ASP to not be correct (I didn't source it) -- drop that to $100k and it would be 17% gross margin and closer to what I would expect from a high end car manufacturer.

Too much Porsche talk
Let's get back to numbers - teslastats.no up to 260 deliveries since sept.
Exciting weeks ahead.
I hear you. At the same time its hard to resist analyzing the most realistic competitor Tesla has. And I think it is relevant -- Tesla is still small and only on the cusp of sustainability. If Porsche had delivered the hype of a true Tesla killer then that could endanger Tesla's growth. So, as an investor, I find it important to be informed on the matter. Kinda like the Brexit analysis which I know really annoy some but I find valuable.

I like the Norway delivery numbers (and the Netherlands), but smaller markets are prone to significant variation due to a number of reasons so while I do track the Norway deliveries I find it hard to make any useful projection from them. It does seem to me that it may be settling in on sustained demand -- March 2019 numbers were through the roof, July's more realistic and I expect September to drop a bit more. And I'm curious to see if I'm right, and how many quarters it takes to settle. But there also seems to be a fair amount of noise -- I wouldn't try to make any strong predictions from the data.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
insideevs

Tesla Model 3 Deliveries In U.S.
Our estimates show that Tesla delivered some 13,150 Model 3 to U.S. buyers in August 2019. That's a wee bit down from the 13,450 Model 3s to U.S. buyers in July 2019. And it's substantially down from the 21,225 delivered in June (end of the quarter month) and below the 13,950 Model 3 delivered to U.S. buyers in May 2019, but well above the 10,050 Model 3 delivered to U.S. buyers in April 2019.”

At this point I'm really tired of the estimates from InsideEVs. Its borderline stock manipulation because they are not official numbers, yet they can push the stock in either direction.

To me at least, it's very apparent that they underestimate on the first 2 months of the quarter so that they can match the official quarterly number from Tesla and have it "make sense". They're afraid of overestimating monthly numbers because then they would have to post only a moderate increase in the 3rd month. I'm sure that they are confident in their methodology but they've been shown to be off before and the fact that they refuse to post their estimates of 3rd month sales before Tesla posts theirs reeks of them making guesses in their estimates