Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, at least Bloomberg is savaging someone other than Tesla in the EV space for a change.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
You wouldn't know it from the headline:
"After $5 Billion in Losses, China’s Tesla Fights to Survive"

For example, I've noticed that the loading docks appear to be finished on one side of the building, but still need to be cleaned up on the other. Obviously you can't have mass production until both sides are ready. It'll be really obvious once mass production has started, as there will be a constant stream of trucks arriving.
Didn't they finish the flatwork on the other loading docks in under 2 weeks?
Further, GF3 has a starting production rate goal of 3k/wk and an end goal of 500k/yr (10k/wk). Even if they did that by fully duplicating the building (doubtful), that put this one a 5k/wk which indicates they could run (inefficiently) at the 3k/wk rate with half the loading docks. Tesla China welcomes superhero guest, Gigafactory 3's target Model 3 output emerge

First leak about (Australian) Q3 delivery numbers:

The stunning Model 3 delivery numbers that will rock Australia's car industry | The Driven

"The Driven, however, understands that the exact number – delivered in three ship cargos – is 2,414. This is confirmed by several sources. Most of these are expected to be delivered in September."

"That is a stunning achievement. It comes as sales of petrol and diesel cars slump dramatically – down 18 per cent in August for passenger petrol cars, and 8 per cent fall in SUV sales."​

Here's the current state of the Australian car market:

The August figures were: Diesel 152, Electric/PHEV 23, Hybrid 624 and Petrol: 11,898.

So while most of this is pent-up, ~2K Teslas in September will be a nice month for EVs.
Wow, so YTD EV+PHEV combined sales were just 186 units in a country of 25 million?! And in a country that has the 10th highest GDP per capita in the world (per wikipedia). Super disappointing.

Now on the other hand, if Tesla delivers 2200 Model 3s in September... that will have a huge impact and trigger future growth.

As a data point, I'm pickup up a Model 3 on Saturday in Brisbane, they rang today and ask if I wanted to pick it up Thursday night instead staying open to 7pm, Thursday night is a typical late night shopping night here.

So in typical fashion they are flat our with deliveries... so I expect 2,000 or more delivered by the end of September... cars should mostly be in the right cities but now.

But stories of other people being offered earlier deliveries are occurring, that means they are working through deliveries, or are trying to fill any free slots that become available.
There are also plenty of stories of delivery dates being pushed back, so Australia is definitely going through delivery hell right now. Here’s another data point: I was supposed to take delivery today (Monday) but it was delayed at the last minute. Tesla is definitely going to have undelivered cars in Australia at the end of the quarter. I’m not a fan of the wave, so I’m okay with that. (As long as they deliver my car.)

Any idea where the ships docked? It would make sense for the ships to have visited
All cars to Australia are coming through Sydney. The same ship visits other ports but Tesla are handling everything through autonexus in Sydney. The highest invoice number I've seen quoted is 3141 so 2000+ for September is possible but it's already a mad rush. Hopefully the numbers of Teslas coming in make mainstream headlines and give our coal loving government a wake up call.

Tesla has no capacity to manufacture their own cells. They'd need to make massive investments in machinery now if they were intending to be up and running making their own cells by next year. Also I think there is a good chance the Semi will be using NMC chemistry for the higher cycle life.

It seems like they are making those investments when 'show and tell' battery investor day combines with 'say no more, wink winknudge nudge, cat's in the bag, we're controlling our own destiny '

Yeah it was pretty obvious to anyone that watched the annual shareholder meeting that Tesla has a plan for battery cell production.

I wonder if Battery Investor Day will lead to a Cap Raise like Autonomy Investor Day did? Any speculation appreciated:)

While not looking for advice, I am looking for insight.

My mother recently passed away and part of her estate consists of a fairly large (for me) sum of shares in an individual dividend stock that currently earns about 4% annually. I am looking for the pros and cons of transferring them to other stock (aka Tesla) or just letting them sit. If I transferred them it would roughly double my Tesla position. Being very bullish on Tesla I know what I want to do but I am looking for anything I may be missing (tax issues, etc).

Any insight would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Dan

You face two decisions
1) Sell the stock or not? This one’s easy. Unless you know it and believe in it as much as Tesla, or your mom was a much wiser Investor than yourself, then sell it. Even if you do believe in it that much, it still might be right to sell some of it as you may be overweight in a singIe equity. I believe you should be entitled to adjust the cost basis to the date of her death, so minimal tax consequences.

2) If you sell what to do? For the following look at your total investment:
2A) Decide how much of your total investments should be in Tesla ( conventional wisdom would be no more than 50% and many would say 10%-20% max). I and some others here are nearly 100% or more, but that’s crazy talk.
2B) Decide a percentage of the overall portfolio that you wants in bonds. Traditional wisdom might be 20%-40% of your overall investments, but bond returns are so tiny, some say this no longer holds? If you want bonds you can just buy a mix of U.S. and International bond index funds.
2C) For the rest decide on a mix of individual stocks you know and believe in as much as Tesla or if not you can just buy index stock funds. E.g. SPYX tracks the SP500 index with fossil fuel heavy stocks removed. I like QQQ because I believe in the long run technology will “eat the world”. Also possibly buy an international stock index fund.

My advice to a total neophyte investor would be to go with a Bogle 3 fund portfolio (read up on it). Then vary from that as much as you feel comfortable (and never forget to take into account tax consequences!

Decide on an overall strategy. Forget what you hold now (except taking into tax consequences). People have way too much sentimental attachment to stocks they already hold and should not. I fell for it. Personally I really need to divest some of my Tesla and I was luckily doing it last fall, but it’s just so hard to do now with it below $300 / share:)

PM me if I can help more. I know some, but others here may know more:)

Last edited:
Hey, this could be turned into a Hyundai ad: "Our cars can be mistaken for a Tesla Model 3!" - although the resemblance stops at the door handles already. :D
You know what else can be mistaken for a Model 3? Another Model 3.

I was helping out at our UU church yesterday evening, and when I was done I walked up to my blue TM3, spent a minute or two finishing a text by the driver’s door, went to reach for the handle, then spent another 10 seconds wondering what kind of person would peel the wrap off of a door handle (I have black chrome delete) in a church parking lot, before finally realizing my car was actually 2 cars over. There were only about 10 cars in the lot, so I’m liking that percentage.

And I hope they had Sentry Mode on!

Finally, last week of September, Norway sales are rocketing. 165 as of now, we'll probably close >200 today.
If rate continues for the week (and it should) we'll have a much better September than 2018, but QoQ will be disappointing.
Silver lining is that we still haven't seen a lot of SR+ in Norway, so ASP will be higher than expected.

I wonder if Battery Investor Day will lead to a Cap Raise like Autonomy Investor Day did? Any speculation appreciated:)

I doubt it. I think the investor day will be more confidence inspiring/ buy more TSLA (Maybe with a little Autonomy thrown in for luck). New machinery should be higher capacity for lower cost (and internally sourced so less mark up). 5 Billion+ is a nice war chest. Elon's (under fire) compensation plan is hurt by dilution. 3 (Fremont and GF3) will fund Y will fund Semi will fund pickup (swap these two if desired). Growth does not seem capital limited at this point (unless they want to go multi-site gangbusters and have the supply/ labor base to pull that off)

Oh, plus, if they have deposits on Pickup in November (hoping that happens), that will boost the cash reserves.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Interesting large article on GM’s decision to go for autonomy and ev’s. No big detail on actual production plans.

One interesting quote suggests they REALLY don’t get it.

“When Reuss made a similar presentation to Barra, her takeaway was that GM eventually could make money on EVs without charging $50,000 or more like Tesla.”

The problem with ev’s Is that the batteries, motors, inverters are just more expensive than gas drivetrains. So they are super uncompetitive against economy car drivetrains. Tesla saw this way back in the Roadster days. Paraphrasing the thought process: “The only chance we have is to compete against high performance vehicles with very expensive engines and transmissions! Then we’ll drive down the cost and gradually compete against lower and lower priced cars.”

It seem like GM thinks. “Hmmm there’s this EV niche that is not competing against our gas cars, so if we can undercut Tesla in price we can beat them”. Completely ignoring that even EV customers don’t want a $37.5k subcompact hatchback (which segment sells for $17k-$25k).

Finally, last week of September, Norway sales are rocketing. 165 as of now, we'll probably close >200 today.
If rate continues for the week (and it should) we'll have a much better September than 2018, but QoQ will be disappointing.
Silver lining is that we still haven't seen a lot of SR+ in Norway, so ASP will be higher than expected.

yeah, lets see, but most probably Norway going bananas this week

Reactions: aubreymcfato