Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is even worse.

"NIO Inc., the company known as China’s Tesla...."

Really? Said who? Bloomberg? I think Nio is known as Nio to anyone not trying to get a cheap click.

China's Tesla Battles for Survival

This headline literally makes it sound as if Tesla in China is about to collapse - as if they can't get the factory built or something.

I'm really getting sick of the entire news media. No one can report outside their agenda.

Totes. If anything, GF3 is known as China's Tesla (plant).

The purchase price of the 3 is much higher than most similar sized gas cars. Buyers are willing to pay the extra amount to get a Tesla. After the initial purchase wave, time will tell whether will buyers of the Y will be willing to also pay the traditional CUV/car differential in addition to the today's price of the 3.

What???? It’s very competitively priced for premium RWD/AWD sports sedans; aka BMW 3 series class.

Last edited:
The purchase price of the 3 is much higher than most similar sized gas cars. Buyers are willing to pay the extra amount to get a Tesla. After the initial purchase wave, time will tell whether will buyers of the Y will be willing to also pay the traditional CUV/car differential in addition to the today's price of the 3.
However, the Model 3 is very competitively priced against the same size and class cars.

Compare it to a similarly performing BMW or Audi. Not to a Camry.

This is even worse.

"NIO Inc., the company known as China’s Tesla...."

Really? Said who? Bloomberg? I think Nio is known as Nio to anyone not trying to get a cheap click.

China's Tesla Battles for Survival

This headline literally makes it sound as if Tesla in China is about to collapse - as if they can't get the factory built or something.

I'm really getting sick of the entire news media. No one can report outside their agenda.

They did manage to throw NIO under the bus though. A drop of 6,5%.

I think you should focus less on Norway specifically and look at the Europe-wide statistics. QoQ is above the trend for NO+NL+SP, even without considering the additional UK demand in Q3. EV tax incentives will further phase out in the Netherlands at the end of 2019 while demand is currently through the roof. Meanwhile, tax incentives in Norway will not change until the end of 2020. Looking at the numbers, it would not surprise me if Tesla is sending the majority of their Model 3 production to the Netherlands for now.

I agree, it's just that:
* it's always nice to see Norways numbers in real time, it's the most exciting market we had
* this is the first time we "know" we shouldn't rely on Norways numbers alone. This is interesting per se.
* I wonder what will happen when Tesla sends SR+ to Norway ;-)

It's even worse than that, we also have one of the best solar resources on the planet - a gigantic desert relatively close to the equator for all year energy.
Utter madness that there isn't more EV market share.
Please don't overlook the fact (I know you haven't) that until now, Australians could not get the Model 3. Hard to show more market share for products that are not available yet! Just ask Karen; there's a reason you don't see more Icelanders driving around in Model 3s; they cannot get them!

Many of us predict that the Tesla Model 3 will be the big game changer. Until now, much pricier Tesla Model Ss and Xs have kept many out of that market, and the other EVs that have been available simply are not that competitive with legacy ICE vehicles for a great number of reasons. But a sea change is just now rolling in!

For the life of me, I'll never understand why people threw so much money into NIO.

I think a lot of people naively believe what makes Tesla so desirable is the fact it is electric. As if the software, battery tech, user experience, supercharging, range, and performance are meaningless. Therefore, just create a new car, slap some batteries and an electric motor in there, and voila! Another Tesla!

Amazingly, they seem surprised when it doesn't quite work out as they expected.

I think a lot of people naively believe what makes Tesla so desirable is the fact it is electric. As if the software, battery tech, user experience, supercharging, range, and performance are meaningless. Therefore, just create a new car, slap some batteries and an electric motor in there, and voila! Another Tesla!

Amazingly, they seem surprised when it doesn't quite work out as they expected.

It is the same reason everyone thought Microsoft and Nokia could just make smartphones and then Apple would be dead.

Do you think there will be positive pressure on Monday to counter act the quadruple downward pressure today?

Meaning, any idea if the short sellers opened short positions today that they will sell on Monday or if they bought long positions in the previous day or so with the intention of closing today with a lot of sell orders?
Maybe today's price action is offsetting some of the selling pressure from Friday?

Quad witching or something like that? And were not even close to Halloween yet.

Reactions: Carl Raymond
Two hours ago Daimler AG's "Head of Digital Transformation", Sascha Pallenberg, has written a tweet ridiculing the Tesla Model S Plaid prototype:

Sascha Pallenberg (@sascha_p) on Twitter

"Still waiting for a timed lap in the S P100D. I mean Porsche isn't bragging about a time of a prototype that you can't buy, right? Btw. will the plaid model come with the Goodyears, rear-wing & extended fenders you used last week?"
There's a number of falsehoods in that tweet:
  • Porsche does brag about the Nürburgring lap time of what they themselves called a "prototype".
  • The Taycan prototype was made before production started - the only question is the number of months, which Porsche doesn't tell.
  • Porsche did not submit their Taycan Nürburgring run as an officially recognized timed lap, so we still don't know the Taycan's weight, tires, other modifications and its exact configuration.
  • How does a Daimler Benz representative know that the new chassis, the extended aero and racing tires won't be on production versions customers can buy next year?
  • Tesla in fact did say that the production version of the new Model S Plaid will have even better Nürburgring times than the prototypes - on what basis does Daimler AG's Sascha Pallenberg cast doubt on that while taking Porsche's claims at face value?
  • The Tesla tweet Pallenberg replied to wasn't "bragging", they reported preliminary data and announced to return next month after improvements:
    • "Data from our track tests indicates that Model S Plaid can achieve 7:20 at the Nürburgring. With some improvements, 7:05 may be possible when Model S returns next month."
I've read through his other tweets, all of them are positive messages - except this one. By the language could he be one of the many anonymous TSLAQ trolls attacking Tesla on social media? Did he post in the wrong account perhaps?

Could someone with a good Twitter presence please follow up and correct those Daimler AG falsehoods?

Last edited:
Daimler AG's "Head of Digital Transformation", Sascha Pallenberg, is ridiculing the Model S Plaid prototype via Twitter:

I've kinda taken the "who cares" perspective now. Sure. No official time yet. Tesla will eventually do an official lap with a production car. It will kill almost anything Mercedes and Porsche makes--certainly all of their sedans. And it will spin them on a multi-year development cycle to try to skate to where the puck is instead of anticipating where Tesla will be when their next iteration is ready.

From what I can see, no automotive company can iterate as quickly as Tesla. So those words are just a way to hold on to the remaining fragments of racing pride that they have left.

Daimler AG's "Head of Digital Transformation", Sascha Pallenberg, is ridiculing the Model S Plaid prototype via Twitter:

Sascha Pallenberg (@sascha_p) on Twitter

"Still waiting for a timed lap in the S P100D. I mean Porsche isn't bragging about a time of a prototype that you can't buy, right? Btw. will the plaid model come with the Goodyears, rear-wing & extended fenders you used last week?"
By the language I suspect he could be one of the many TSLAQ trolls online attacking Tesla?

There's a number of falsehoods in that tweet:
  • Porsche does brag about the Nürburgring lap time of what they themselves called a "prototype".
  • The Taycan prototype was made before production started - the only question is the number of months, which Porsche doesn't tell.
  • Porsche did not submit their Taycan Nürburgring run as an officially recognized timed lap, so we still don't know the Taycan's weight, tires, other modifications and its exact configuration.
  • How does a Daimler Benz representative know that the new chassis, the extended aero and racing tires won't be on production versions customers can buy next year?
  • Tesla in fact did say that the production version of the new Model S Plaid will have even better Nürburgring times than the prototypes - on what basis does Daimler AG's Sascha Pallenberg cast doubt on that while taking Porsche's claims at face value?
Could someone with a good Twitter presence please follow up and correct those Daimler AG falsehoods?

I'm all up for someone going on Twitter to respond to that nonsense but to me at least, the damage has already done to Porsche's image and other auto makers images that sell their high end cars as performance ones. The 7:23 lap time was all over the place and news. The fact that Elon and Tesla is openly saying we'll be back next month, we'll be even faster, and the final production model will be even faster than that really took whatever wind was left in Porsche's sails away

Last edited:
"Most similar sized gas cars" are not comparable to a Model 3. A Model 3 is better in just about every way than a Camry, Accord, Sonata, etc. That's why it costs more. The Model 3 should be compared on price to a 3 Series, A4, Acura TLX etc. It's better than those cars also, at a comparable price and a much lower total cost of ownership.