Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They just need to develop a mobile solar charging array. Replace all those big tanker trucks. This started as half a joke but that may very well have logistics implications. No need for oil supply lines if you have a charging system from the sun.
The USMC trialed a solar system in Afghanistan back in 2011. Sunny, hot, dry vs $10/gal for diesel, hmmm decisions, decisions. You never heard about the test program because it saved the lives of Marines, and cost sales to Big Oil.

Marines Test Alternative Power in Afghanistan

Tesla would need to deploy folding solar panels to take advantage of this market. They already have a built-in demand for high-efficiency solar cells due to their ties to a certain private aerospace company with plans to deploy 12K solar powered satellites over the next 5 yrs.

LG Chem told Porsche they would have a cell capable of 350 kW charging by now.
What is your source for this assertion?
If Porsche is charging $150k to $235k they can afford both better/more expensive cells and a bigger cushion in their warranty reserve(for fried battery packs).
Better add some cushion to the insurance reserve too!

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
NL+NO+SP deliveries are now over 10k in Q3. 2500+ just in the last 4 days.
B6934562-E106-4AE0-A9BE-CFC6D69E7F3A.jpeg

50FDF799-8ACE-40DF-99FA-B1D6C6533D58.jpeg

Porsche is advertising 270 kW charging.

Did Tesla Model 3 charge at 250 kW the first day?

Did S/X Raven charge at 200 kW the first day?
Big difference is that Tesla had the necessary HW in the cars and only needed a SW update to enable this once compatible chargers were launched. These Taycans will never charge at 350, they say they will need new batteries for that. ETA? 2021.

Porsche has advertised the car with 350 charging capability ever since the - Mission E concept right until the IAA launch. The only aim was to try and demonstrate technological superiority to their customer base and keep them from buying a Tesla through their years of development.

"It will also move away from trucks. Not sure if only trucks, but if saying something big is in your right lane, it will favor the left more. I have felt it even slight swerve in the lane to avoid them."
That is great! I didn't like it when it just stayed in the middle of the lane when there was a semi truck alongside.
Now it would be great if it could just speed up a little to totally pass the semi

WHITE HOUSE WEIGHING LIMITS ON U.S. PORTFOLIO FLOWS INTO CHINA
"White House Weighing Limits on U.S. Portfolio Flows Into China" | Bloomberg

Dictators don't sit well with Americans in my experience. Jus' sayin'. Tesla is a multinational by nature. They have significant presence in all these places:
  • California: production & assembly, design, engineering, logistics
  • Nevada: manufacturing, mining
  • Canada: bty cell testing, minerals sourcing
  • Germany: robot/automation engineering + manufacturing
  • Greece: electric motor research and design
  • China: components sourcing, production, final assembly, engineering
  • N.B. large mining contracts: Australia, Chile, Indonesia, Nevada, Canada
Did I miss anything major? Then we'll add the EU/GF4 to this list soon enough, and likely another Gigafactory in a 2nd city in China soon after that. More on Tesla in China in my next comment.

Cheers!

Amazing timing ...
(apologies for the formatting, on mobile)

Tesla unfairly fought union organizing and must reimburse employees, judge finds

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/42eecc8b-e68d-3dad-bb43-00508dd92c7b/tesla-unfairly-fought-union.html
In addition, the judge ordered Musk personally to read a notice to employees aloud at the Fremont facility detailing what Tesla is allowed and not allowed to do in regards to the ruling.

Cue (the spirit of) George Carlin: these are the 10 things I can't tell you about unionizing.

Also, did the judge show any examples of union members that get stock options?

There was, but it hit expensive cars (the tax advantage was cancelled above €50,000), which is why the Dutch bought a lot of Model S and X (and I-Paces) at the end of 2018. Because so many more people can afford a Model 3 we can expect an even madder rush at the end of this year. I’m surprised it is already this strong, three months before the tax cliff. Hence my bold prediction for Q4.

That supports something that I noticed then:

upload_2019-9-27_23-3-35.png

upload_2019-9-27_23-5-5.png

2018:
Q1 < Q2 < Q3 < Q4

2019:
Q1 < Q2 < Q3 ...

Even the growth ratios appear similar (although people are now being pushed away from expensive vehicles like S and X). Overall sales would surely have gone way back down to Q1 if not for the Model3. It looks like can expect to keep seeing a cyclic pattern like this, so long as EVs remain much cheaper to operate than ICEs, but the cost of owning the EV changes at the start of each year.

so the update finally warped into my Tesla and it is... v10.0? Given that 10.2 is already out that is a little disappointing, but the kicker is that the app said my car had been removed from my account (WTF!) and now rejects all login attempts for my account (alternates between bad password/account and server unavailable). Logging into the tesla website proved that my car was still in my account (whew!) but now I have the (probably buggy) advanced summon -- and can't even try it!

I thought it couldn't get any worse than the pins and needles. Boy was I wrong :confused:

My best guess is that the auth server for the phone app is different than the website, and the phone app auth server is being DOS'd. Hopefully just from everyone trying to log back in after the app kicks them out and Tesla sorts it out, not a malicious act.

Cue (the spirit of) George Carlin: these are the 10 things I can't tell you about unionizing.

Also, did the judge show any examples of union members that get stock options?

Meh. The timing is perfect; UAW is disgraced now, in the middle of a corruption scandal. Anyone brings this up? Point out that they were smart to avoid UAW and link articles to the convictions, with description of the bribery.

so... finally being offered the update and am trying to do it but it won't. :mad:

It says I need to connect to wifi. The carport is on the opposite side of the house from the internet (of course) so the connection isn't great, but it has always been good enough before. It connects, but it still displays the message "connect to wifi in order to download" :mad:

So I tried the hotspot on my phone and it can't connect. Even when the phone shows that it has one client connected :mad:

Maybe I just need to sleep on it. :cool:
Happened to my brothers car. You have to reset your cars computer by holding down both scroll wheels.

Is that a legitimate short conspiracy or a joke? It's really difficult to tell the difference. Do they not read their theories back to themselves and realise how utterly absurd they sound? Maybe they simply lack that level of analytical intelligence or logic.
Your clue was the crafty reference to the "Austro-Hungarian DMV", which was in fact disbanded in 1918 after infamous Bosnian Serb Gavrilo Princip assasinated Arch Duke Ferdinand Porsche. Sheesh, everybody no that. :oops:

• Informative
Reactions: capster and AndreN