Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The market is closed Monday in honor of Christopher Columbus.

You know, that fraudster who said he sailed a boat to the Americas and back. And who cooked the books on his expeditions so he could pocket the difference. And who claimed the world was not flat.

Closed Monday? What the hell am I going to do at work all day?

On the other hand, a non-trading day for the markets to digest the (we hope) GF3 news might be fun.

I am late posting this. A neighbor's kid asked me if I'd do an interview on self-driving cars for a report he was doing for his school. I not only agreed to give him an interview but offered to give me a ride in my Model S raven (with v10) so that he could see for himself. We finally got to go last weekend.

He brought along a friend. Both were just shy of driving age. I showed them the trunk, the frunk, how the seats fold down. They were amazed at the amount of space in the Model S. I took them for a ride next and gave them a bit of Ludicrous acceleration (they loved it!). They demonstrated Navigate on Autopilot automatic lane change. It mostly worked fine, but for some reason the first V10 update seemed to have trouble getting into the exit lane with a car blocking the exit lane. I had to take over and take the exit manually. Previously, it worked just fine. Maybe the more recent V10 updates corrected that?

I haven't even used summon myself, so I didn't show them that.

In any case, they continued to ask me questions and recorded my answers on their cell phones (gotta love kids ease with technology!). Typical questions about range anxiety (I told them 'None, after they closed the Fort Stockton gap on I-10 here in Texas'). 'Would you go back to a gas car' (No). 'Why did you get a Tesla' (Initially, acceleration, but kept if for all other reasons mentioned here, saving the planet, innovation, self-driving, etc). I showed them all of the menu options on the touch-screen and played one of the recent racing games, Netflix and Youtube. There were blown away by all of this. Finally, at the end, they thanked me and one of them told me that as soon as he got a job, he was going to start saving for a Model 3.

At the end, I walked away with satisfaction. These kids 'get it'. We are going to save the planet, and we are going to be all-right. It's going to be all-right.

Tesla will keep rising on the search engines, the more people see on the road the more questions they have about em. Most of the time I’ll get asked “if you don’t mind me asking how much did you pay for your car?!” I tell them around $40,000 but the best part is not paying for gas. It seems to get their mind turning. I imagine a lot of these interactions end with a quick search of Tesla.

You know, that fraudster who said he sailed a boat to the Americas and back. And who cooked the books on his expeditions so he could pocket the difference. And who claimed the world was not flat.
Closed Monday? What the hell am I going to do at work all day?

On the other hand, a non-trading day for the markets to digest the (we hope) GF3 news might be fun.

The US stock markets will be open on Monday, October 14, Columbus Day. The bond market and most banks will be closed.

NYSE: Holidays and Trading Hours

Holiday Schedules

The really interesting part of today (aside from any early word about the trade talks) will be the final half hour. Hedge funds really want to protect the 250 calls but you may see traders jumping in and raising the price into the closing bell. I can't predict who's going to win that battle, but I suspect the 250 cap will prevail.

It looks to me like at $248.95 it's winding up for a dramatic close.

And rather a lot of murdering. He must have gotten up very early in the morning (ref to Cake or Death, Eddie Izzard, for the uninitiated)

No educated people at that time thought the Earth was flat. The Earth being round had been accepted fact for thousands of years. It's just nobody (except Columbus) thought it'd be a good idea to get to India by sailing West from Spain (And guess what, they were right).

Anyway, here in Virginia, the second Monday in October is also known as Yorktown Victory Day.

A Warm Yorktown Victory Day To You, Virginia | DCist

Current version is 32.12.something. Don't remember what his initial v10 release version was, but he got it around the first day or two when it was released.
Installing 32.12.1 for my Model X right now.
If the Semi and Pickup are launched in 2021(even 2022), then I would guess we would see another vehicle model introduced in 2024/2025. Maybe something smaller than the semi (box truck, delivery truck...think FedEx/UPS trucks) or perhaps a mini-Tesla for city driving. I assume the S&X get a refresh in 2020 or 2021.
Mail delivery and garbage trucks would be wonderful! Both could charge at night and Tesla could package solar and batteries for areas with unreliable power, and for use in municipalities rich enough to afford it just to assure services even in times of power unavailability.

More nonsense...

Dyson decision offers latest sign that EV bubble is bursting

Dyson's sudden decision to scrap its $2.5 billion electric-vehicle ambitions is the latest reality check creeping into the once soaring EV industry.

The famed maker of vacuum cleaners and hair dryers couldn't find a way to make the project commercially viable, billionaire James Dyson said in a letter to staff Thursday. The announcement came about two years after the company first disclosed its plans to jump into car manufacturing.

Dyson represents one of the most high-profile players to pull out of a sector that's attracted hundreds of startups in recent years seeking to capitalize on the industrywide move toward EVs, led by Tesla. But there are mounting signs that the bubble is bursting as China scales back handouts in the sector and competition heats up. Sanford C. Bernstein estimates that global EV sales fell for the first time ever in July and dropped by a record 23 percent in August.

"Tesla's future remains uncertain. Almost all the EV startups trying to follow look challenged," Bernstein analysts, including Max Warburton and Robin Zhu, said in a report that cited the Dyson decision as a worrisome development in the industry. "Most of these startups will likely fold. The truth is barriers to entry in autos remain high. Making cars is hard. The move to EVs will be expensive."

What Dyson did here is the outcome we predicted. They can't compete with Tesla. The only way a Dyson EV might work is to design something very special, then sell for one million dollars each, like the LV bag in EV industry.

Anyone who try to compete with Tesla by price/function/value will run into trouble. Tesla could sell the hardware at cost, make profit from software.

Those analysts are clueless when they say Dyson quitting means trouble for Tesla.

It looks to me like at $248.95 it's winding up for a dramatic close.

That was a good guess until we saw profit-taking on the NASDAQ going into close, which set up a similar dip in TSLA, which then allowed both the hedge funds and market makers to make a push for 247.50, which has more calls than puts.