Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shorts are referring to the 10K filing & that it will show that things aren’t as rosy as the earnings call suggested - that ‘creative accounting’ has been utilised for ‘one offs’
Shouldn’t they be waiting until Q4 results for a clearer picture? Or am I being too logical?
Deferred revenue actually increased right? I believe which should be an automatic death of that theory.

Here is my view regarding ARK ETF. I like their approach, they have good analysts too.
However, as a long term Tesla investor, I expect this stock to significantly outperform. Putting my money into an ETF that keeps selling TSLA when it goes up, that's against my thesis on TSLA.

I put $1000 into TSLA, if it rallies 20 fold in a few years, I get $20,000.
I put $1000 into ARK ETF, only $100 goes to TSLA, as soon as TSLA doubles, they sell half. You can see in the end very little money is still in TSLA.

I don't think all 37 million will be covered. I think a reasonable expectation is maybe 50% of that?

But we are quickly blowing through the point where the 30% margin requirement many brokers had for shorting TSLA will be exhausted. So more margin calls ought to be going out which will only intensify this squeeze.

I never believed I would live to see this moment but here we are. I have lived to see the Cubs and Giants win the World Series and now I have lived to see a real short squeeze.

I bet it is less than 20% of net short covering. That is the short interest is still above 30M shares.

Reactions: Johan and humbaba
Why would he do that? He clearly stated he wasn’t selling until certain criteria were ‘not’ met and that the time frame for that was still a number of years down the road.
He became convinced that Tesla would fail due to customer service issues. I haven't talked to him since just prior to the mentioned sale, but others who did said he went through with it.

I had contemplated weighing in on this earlier and had written:

I like @neroden and miss his insights. I wish him the best, including financially. But if you lose sight of how a company is succeeding then you cannot tell when it will fail and run the risk of unexpectedly losing your investment. That's a rough paraphrase of something he said, and something I took to heart. I think that is essentially what happened -- he became a single issue investor (customer service) and felt that Tesla was not only currently failing at that, but that it would become a big enough issue to kill the company.

Obviously I disagree, but its his money, not mine. And he manages his wealth better than I manage mine...

Here is my view regarding ARK ETF. I like their approach, they have good analysts too.
However, as a long term Tesla investor, I expect this stock to significantly outperform. Putting my money into an ETF that keeps selling TSLA when it goes up, that's against my thesis on TSLA.

I put $1000 into TSLA, if it rallies 20 fold in a few years, I get $20,000.
I put $1000 into ARK ETF, only $100 goes to TSLA, as soon as TSLA doubles, they sell half. You can see in the end very little money is still in TSLA.
It's for people who want an upside of 30% but only face a downside risk of 10% (random numbers I'm tossing in).

Reactions: AlMc
Every American Automaker that ever existed has actually gone bankrupt except for two. Ford and Tesla.

Can you guess how long it will be before Tesla is the only one that never went bankrupt? That will be sweet irony on the shorts.
Although Henry Ford's two ventures before the Ford Motor Company did go bankrupt.

Lack of airbags ... I wouldn't put my family in it while driving on public urban roads.

Just a SUV running a red light from the left at 40-60 mph and at least one family member is gone in the blink of an eye:
  • That easily deformable high density engine block on the SUV? High density kinetic bullet aimed into your car.
  • Crumple zone? 10-30 cm only.
  • That glass window, the door frame and panels? Blocks of concrete that at least one passenger head is hitting at 30-40 mph in a side-whiplash motion. It's similar to falling from a 3-5 story building on a concrete pavement, hitting sideways with hands not extended. Cause of death: broken neck or blunt force trauma.
Side crashes without side airbags are brutal, unless you are in a main battle tank or an APC:

See that big red mark on the side airbag at 0:20? That's the window on a Bollinger, and the red won't be paint ...

It's almost 2020 for heaven's sake ... SMH.
I think Bollinger's market is the same market that's paying Icon to build "Derelicts" out of 60s-80s offroaders that likely have similarly bad - or even worse - safety.

Those shares were sold from an IRA brokerage account.
Careful here.

Wash sale rules apply between accounts. When an IRA isn't involved, the wash sale rules don't matter all that much, because while you can't claim the loss, you can claim an increased cost basis by the loss, so it all balances out in the end (in fact, if you believe tax rates will go up in the future, it may make sense to take the loss now and pay the taxes on it, and get the cost basis increases).

When an IRA is involved, though, IIRC you cannot get the cost basis increase within the IRA, but you can still end up liable for the taxes. (This is not an advice, because I don't remember the exact rules here.)

Look up the rules before playing with any security in both an IRA and in a non-tax-advantaged trading account, or you can burn yourself. (This is an advice.)

Before any of you short-sighted "investors" do something you regret consider this:

Musk promised to burn the short-sellers in a BIG way.
He has a reputation of being late on his predictions
This morning he tweeted a picture of a flame
I think he still has more ammo

Trade this puppy at your own risk! ;)

yeah, only profit taking for me near term will be if we move up a little more,

I'll unwind some of the shares I got assigned in late Spring/Summer from the boatload of $440 and $420 puts I sold when Elon tweeted that a sale of Tesla just needed shareholder approval. They've been kind of heavy shares to hold the past few months, but, at about $335 those assigned shares become profitable ; ) will keep well more than half of the assigned shares : )

here's what I think.. Mother of all short squeezes. Anyone I know who bought sub 200$ and 200-250$, I told them lighten at $315 and don't be a pig.

I remembered vividly the Microsoft shares I bought at 25 and sold at 50.

And I remembered all those Tesla shares I trimmed right before earnings.

The planet is heating up for God's sake.