Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P3D and LR RWD prices both increased by $500. But there's no demand.... why would they increase prices?!

Tesla Change Tracker (@TslaTracker) | Twitter

I love one of the comments on one of that guys posts about the price increase. "Probably a push to get people to buy for fear of rising prices"...…..what? o_O

That is some bizarre logic to throw shade at what is undeniable evidence that demand for the high end trims is doing absolutely phenomenal.

Reactions: JusRelax
Here’s a new piece of FUD, well new to me but probably old hat to most of you:

My neighbor talked on FB ordering a Tesla Y, and got this comment:
“Tesla covers all repairs on their vehicles for 7 years. The oldest Teslas are now 6 years old. After 7 years, Tesla will not service their own vehicles anymore. Drive motors for the wheels are something like $10K each. The display is $8K. And these things do fail. After 7 years, the owner is on his own.”

I supplied the link to Tesla warantee showing coverage of battery and power train for 8 years or X miles (varies per model), but am surprised on two points:
  1. The presumably looney idea that Tesla service centers will flat refuse to do any work at all on your car once the 8 year warrantee expires.
  2. The idea that paying for repairs to your drivetrain after 8 years is so different than ICE cars purchased from Ford/GM/etc. My quick check tells me the ICE powertrain warantee is about 5 years and 60k miles. You can get extended warantees, but for comparison we are looking at 8year/100k miles vs 5yr/60k miles. If one argues that EV drivetrain components are more expensive to repair/replace, one has to argue that this is not made up for by the longer Tesla warantee, and/or the better expected reliability of EV drivetrains over ICE.
Any suggestions on countering this effectively? I expect I will see this again.

The display is not $8K the display and the MCU together are about $2500 installed, so that's just nonsense.
Of course Tesla will service older vehicles. "On your own" just means you have to pay after warranty is up just like any car.
Let's compare out of warranty items:
1. ICE engine. You're likely to not have your car for a month. Tesla drivetrain. Replaced with remanufactured in a day.
2. ICE transmission. Your car is still out for a month. Tesla: no transmission
3. ICE electronics. Not much there, but they also haven't changed functionality since you bought the car. However, diagnostics is a pain because there are many separate (but somewhat interconnected) processors, so there may be many replacements until the problem is actually solved. Tesla's software will have been upgraded many times with new functionality. There are really only two parts, the MCU for the display, and the other processor for driving. Not much to diagnose.
4. Battery. Practically a non-issue. We don't actually know the price of an 85K or higher replacement battery (except for insurance replacements) because No S, X, or 3 is over eight years old yet. One thing that is known is that the battery will go down in price as the years go by. An example is that when the 2004 Prius first came out all the detractors said $10K for replacement, by the time anyone had to replace a battery the price was $3K installed.
5. Performance after repair. With the ICE engine or transmission success depends on the skill and effort the mechanic puts into it. So it's basically a crap-shoot. You might have a good mechanic that is having a bad day. Also it depends on how much is repaired or rebuilt. Tesla's rebuilt parts are remanufactured at the factory, with real quality control checks.

The unions have reason to fret, that CEO Tavares is a cost cutting fiend. But he bought Opel back to profitability after 15 years of loosing money under GM.

On the EV front, my guess, is that CEO Tavares (he is not pro EV by some of his statements) take the cheap route and makes a deal to use VW's MEB platform. The Tesla parts sharing rumor doesn't seem probable to me.

The man who would be CEO of the combined PSA/FCA. Wall Street loves him, but I betting TMC does not.

PSA CEO Voices Unbacked Concerns Over Societal Issues Of EVs

"Tavares' specific concerns revolve around battery production. He feels there will be many consequences involved in the switch, and he doesn't believe others are aware or truly understand. He shared (via Autocar):

What I wonder about is who is taking the 360 degree view? There is so much more to consider than selling electrified cars, from the battery creation to the battery recycling, from the rare metals being used to the extraction techniques to get them, to what it means for taxation, the total cost of ownership, the charging point infrastructure and more. If you want clean energy you need to ask how you produce that energy.

From my perspective, the current strategy around this 360 degree view is lacking clarity. The car industry is moving quickly and strongly, but from cities to governments I am a little worried that the answer is that nobody has a cohesive approach. If they miss something then the whole strategy could backfire on us, not just as an industry but on citizens as a whole."

FCA-PSA: How Might This Merger Impact EVs And PHEVs?

"Carlos Tavares, who will be the CEO of the new alliance, is a fierce critic of electric cars. He has recently told Driving.co.uk he will not pay for charging infrastructure. He said that if politicians are pushing zero-emission mobility, they should have governments pay for that.
That does not end there. In 2017, he told “The Telegraph” electrification puts the car industry at risk. He also said that any safety or health issues linked to electric cars will be in the hands of the same governments that now push for EVs."

Here’s a new piece of FUD, well new to me but probably old hat to most of you:

My neighbor talked on FB ordering a Tesla Y, and got this comment:
“Tesla covers all repairs on their vehicles for 7 years. The oldest Teslas are now 6 years old. After 7 years, Tesla will not service their own vehicles anymore. Drive motors for the wheels are something like $10K each. The display is $8K. And these things do fail. After 7 years, the owner is on his own.”

I supplied the link to Tesla warantee showing coverage of battery and power train for 8 years or X miles (varies per model), but am surprised on two points:
  1. The presumably looney idea that Tesla service centers will flat refuse to do any work at all on your car once the 8 year warrantee expires.
  2. The idea that paying for repairs to your drivetrain after 8 years is so different than ICE cars purchased from Ford/GM/etc. My quick check tells me the ICE powertrain warantee is about 5 years and 60k miles. You can get extended warantees, but for comparison we are looking at 8year/100k miles vs 5yr/60k miles. If one argues that EV drivetrain components are more expensive to repair/replace, one has to argue that this is not made up for by the longer Tesla warantee, and/or the better expected reliability of EV drivetrains over ICE.
Any suggestions on countering this effectively? I expect I will see this again.

Ridiculous. This morning I stopped by the Tampa Service Center and made an appointment to have my 2008 Founder's Series Roadster serviced. Definitely more than 8 years old, and definitely out of warranty.

Sold remaining 200 shrs

SOLD 200 TSLA shrs @ 317 (basis 277$ bought on 3/19/19) Profit $8000

and Rolling puts again ...

CLOSING 3 TSLA 191101 285 PUTs @$0.65 Profit $855

and

SELL 3 TSLA 191101 310 PUTs @$3.30

CLOSING 3 TSLA 191101 310 PUTs @$0.10 Profit $960

Selling more otm PUTS around 290 level.

SOLD 5 TSLA 191129 290 PUTs @$4.80 (max profit $2400)

Wherein Musk should (and probably would) reply, "Okay, do we have permission to access and publish the data from your run, then?"

Wherein Top Gear either says "Yes", and whatever they did to get such a bad time gets exposed, or they say "No", and it becomes obvious to anyone with half a brain that they're trying to hide a rigged race.
Well, it seems they didn't know how to operate the car properly. That none of the numbers were meeting specs or the fact that they couldn't get to ludicrous mode, should have been the 'we need to ask for help' red flag. Maybe too proud to ask for directions when they're lost? In any event, the publishing of false stats, instead of what they actually tested is extremely bad form.

Funny safety and health issues with electric cars? The people/government do not let his polluting ass pay the fair share enough.

The man who would be CEO of the combined PSA/FCA. Wall Street loves him, but I betting TMC does not.

PSA CEO Voices Unbacked Concerns Over Societal Issues Of EVs

"Tavares' specific concerns revolve around battery production. He feels there will be many consequences involved in the switch, and he doesn't believe others are aware or truly understand. He shared (via Autocar):

What I wonder about is who is taking the 360 degree view? There is so much more to consider than selling electrified cars, from the battery creation to the battery recycling, from the rare metals being used to the extraction techniques to get them, to what it means for taxation, the total cost of ownership, the charging point infrastructure and more. If you want clean energy you need to ask how you produce that energy.

From my perspective, the current strategy around this 360 degree view is lacking clarity. The car industry is moving quickly and strongly, but from cities to governments I am a little worried that the answer is that nobody has a cohesive approach. If they miss something then the whole strategy could backfire on us, not just as an industry but on citizens as a whole."

FCA-PSA: How Might This Merger Impact EVs And PHEVs?

"Carlos Tavares, who will be the CEO of the new alliance, is a fierce critic of electric cars. He has recently told Driving.co.uk he will not pay for charging infrastructure. He said that if politicians are pushing zero-emission mobility, they should have governments pay for that.
That does not end there. In 2017, he told “The Telegraph” electrification puts the car industry at risk. He also said that any safety or health issues linked to electric cars will be in the hands of the same governments that now push for EVs."

Blade Runner is set NOW: What November 2019 predictions did Harrison Ford movie get right?

Its Nov. 1, we are at least guaranteed on seeing the new pickup truck within 29 days.
You can keep the flying cars. I just want those uhhh "personal" robots.
The display is not $8K the display and the MCU together are about $2500 installed, so that's just nonsense.
Of course Tesla will service older vehicles. "On your own" just means you have to pay after warranty is up just like any car.
Let's compare out of warranty items:
1. ICE engine. You're likely to not have your car for a month. Tesla drivetrain. Replaced with remanufactured in a day.
2. ICE transmission. Your car is still out for a month. Tesla: no transmission
3. ICE electronics. Not much there, but they also haven't changed functionality since you bought the car. However, diagnostics is a pain because there are many separate (but somewhat interconnected) processors, so there may be many replacements until the problem is actually solved. Tesla's software will have been upgraded many times with new functionality. There are really only two parts, the MCU for the display, and the other processor for driving. Not much to diagnose.
4. Battery. Practically a non-issue. We don't actually know the price of an 85K or higher replacement battery (except for insurance replacements) because No S, X, or 3 is over eight years old yet. One thing that is known is that the battery will go down in price as the years go by. An example is that when the 2004 Prius first came out all the detractors said $10K for replacement, by the time anyone had to replace a battery the price was $3K installed.
5. Performance after repair. With the ICE engine or transmission success depends on the skill and effort the mechanic puts into it. So it's basically a crap-shoot. You might have a good mechanic that is having a bad day. Also it depends on how much is repaired or rebuilt. Tesla's rebuilt parts are remanufactured at the factory, with real quality control checks.
Plenty of electronics to go bad in a modern ICE car. I wouldn't say it's that many fewer components than a Tesla.

Reactions: VValleyEV
Seems Twitter is suspending TSLA supporter accounts in response to complaints from TSLAQ.

Let’s see how this would develop.
View attachment 471915
I am not saying this might be the cause, but definitely a interesting timing to see this:
Elon Musk on Twitter
Going offline
right after this:
TeslaCharts on Twitter
Dear @jack: The emergence of $TSLAQ has been a deep source of value for $TWTR. Your platform is, on balance, quite spectacular. We express our views and research freely here, and any protection against overt abuse is much appreciated. Keep this up and I might go long $TWTR.

edit:
Added the content of the TeslaCharts tweet.
I was also blocked long while ago, I check TSLAQ with a new burner account.
Seems they are doing victory laps for Elon going offline, weird logic as they claim they are being bullied and are not bullying.

Last edited:
So, markets near highs of the day, green all over the place, including GM, F, and NIO. Yet, TSLA, the one automaker actually succeeding in this economy, is down over 1%, and, as usual, is being sold into the close. No material news other than some shorts spinning some meaningless FUD. If the longs manipulated the way shorts and the MMs manipulate this stock, the SEC would be all over such longs. Done with the rant, just frustrating (I know, we are up significantly - but, we should have never been as low as we were). Well, at least we are coming off of a GREAT quarter, and TSLA really does seem to be performing unbelievably well. At some point the lies of the manipulators will hopefully be seen for what they really are - false information meant to both keep the auto/oil industry from financial disaster and to enrich some parasitic investors who gain financially through the unmonitored spread of such false information.

I am not saying this might be the cause, but definitely a interesting timing to see this:
Elon Musk on Twitter
right after this:
TeslaCharts on Twitter

I do not recall ever before visiting the Twitter account TeslaCharts, yet I now see that I am blocked from viewing it. That's rather strange. Can someone please describe what has been the general content of that account.

I've seen this idea tossed around and I realize this may be a slightly OT technical question but seems relevant to Tesla's product offerings:

What exactly prevents Tesla from offering their vehicles' batteries for emergency home power? Could they not sell a product that installs at your house, costs less than a Powerwall, and allows you to power your home (or part of it) from the Tesla's battery?

I suppose existing vehicles do not have a "power out" interface that could be targeted for consumers. But perhaps the pickup will....