Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because using a block list to create an artificial echo chamber is a terrible idea regardless of who's behind it.
I think there's a huge distinction to be made between bearishness, and FUD, though.

Blocking all bears on sight because they're bears would be foolish. It's quite possible to have legitimate criticisms of Tesla, or legitimate fears of things that could have a severe negative impact in the future. Hell, we've had bulls with those. And, blocking people who bring those to the table would be shooting ourselves in the foot in the long run.

Blocking trolls who are just here to spread FUD against Tesla and disrupt conversation is just good sense, though.

I don't have an objection to it in and of itself, especially as far as furthering Tesla's mission. But I do question whether Tesla will have sufficient spare capacity to provide EV powertrains to other OEMs.

But even more importantly, there is the question of design philosophy. Like Apple, Tesla products gain their strength from the tight integration of hardware and software, as well as tight hardware to hardware integration. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Even the Megapacks and Powerpacks you refer to come complete with Tesla designed software: the battery mgmt system/software (BMS). It's a complete package.

But an EV powertrain on its own is not a complete product, just like a Powerpack without the Tesla BMS is not a complete product. If Tesla supplies EV powertrains to other OEMs, who supplies the BMS (and the motor control software)? The OEM or Tesla? If the OEM, will the OEM do a good of a job as Tesla? Are there things they will miss that could lead to less than optimal performance or, worse, compromise or malfunction? If Tesla instead provides the BMS, can they be certain it will work optimaly within the larger software layer of the OEMs car control systems? Will they have to tweak or rewrite code for different CPUs that the OEM may be using? All this requires additional resources.

But this is not the way Tesla (or Apple) approach design. They try to create the singular best product by having full design control over both hardware and software, and over ALL the hardware and software (witness both Tesla and Apple's desire to even make their own CPUs; this is total vertical integration). Making EV powertrains or other components for other OEMs are simply not consistent with this design principle. This to me is the crux of the problem for those advocating that Tesla sell components to other OEMs. And I believe, Musk, like Steve Jobs with Apple, sees this.

See also my earlier message:
Agree totally. The Tesla “secret sauce” that is always talked about is the tight systems integration amongst battery, motor, suspension, controller and software. Handing a Tesla power train over to another manufacturer is like giving a chimpanzee a machine gun.

I think TSLA is undervalued even if robotaxi is 10years away. As it is today with just GF3, Y and Pickup, Tesla is imo undervalued. Robotaxi is huge, like a $4T market according to ARK:
White Paper: Why Self-Driving Cars Could Change Everything
If there is a 10% chance that Tesla takes 10% of that market, it implies a $40B value. Which is about what I dare to hope for.

However I do think people here really underestimates the probability of Tesla solving FSD soon. Elon, who we should give some credit to having a history of mostly being right eventually seems pretty confident. And his times have been converging on end Q4 for a long while now.......

I chose to quote part of your post, but I like all of it. I agree broadly, and especially with the idea that Tesla is a long ways in front of everybody else, and closer to actual FSD than anybody else.

The place where I diverge with Elon, is I think he's undercalling how hard the social aspects and road situations are going to be to handle.

On the social side, I'm willing to go with the US and Canada as two markets that are reasonably ready to do something like this. However, how ready are people to see cars with nobody in them driving around in traffic? And how ready is society to handle people drivers being particularly bad drivers around empty cars driving around? There's a social side to this that might happen fast - I suspect it's going to be slower.

There's a technical side to this where I'm in complete agreement that the raw technical capability (feature complete is Elon's term, and I think it's a good one) will be ready sooner than later. Sort of like a carpenter has a box of tools that is finally fully populated and ready to get to work building a house.

But a box of tools doesn't make a house overnight. So if we're thinking of FSD as really being REALLY REALLY advanced driver assistance, then I can easily see that in a year or less - maybe even Q1. And we should all rightly rejoice and look forward to counting our gains as investors in the company.

But driver assist is a long ways away from FSD (which to me means cars with nobody in them, going somewhere for their next pickup; and cars with people in them, but nobody in the driver's seat, or particularly thinking about the driving task or expecting to be called on, ever, to be involved in the driving task).

Some samples of problems (common, and uncommon):
- suburban neighborhoods, and other roads, with no lane markings. The lane is implied in my neighborhood because the street is about 2 and a half or 3 lanes wide, but there are plenty of situations where traffic in one direction or the other needs to stop to allow oncoming traffic through. There's an impromptu need for I-go, you-go, and there's no signage or other help on the street. These 'lanes' also wander back and forth from near the sidewalk out to the middle of the street (and a bit beyond) even when 2 driving cars wide.
- suburban neighborhoods that aren't as old as mine, where you've got about 2 car widths of driving total, and with cars parked on 1 side, you've got 1 drivable lane (more I-go, you-go situations).
- Overtaking, or being overtaken, but a Wide Load. I experienced one recently on the freeway where the wide load driver had their right side wheels on or the far side of the rumble strip, and I still had to use the far side of my lane (2 lanes at that point) to get by.
- Construction and other situations where there are humans using signs and hand signals to indicate go / stop, and then figuring out where the lane is when going (it's gonna be .. awkward .. for the car to stop in the middle of these :D)
- Out in the country, my mom's house was down about a 1/2 mile of a dirt driveway. In the summer especially, the weeds on each side and in the middle makes it pretty clear where the ruts are and the car is supposed to drive. Sometimes that driveway develops car swallowing pot holes that you need to drive around. And it's nice to avoid the blackberries that are growing out in the lane.
- Again out in the country, I've got a segment I drive reasonably often where multiple times a winter, a tree or really big branch falls down and blocks the road. So far I know it's happened because somebody else got there with a chain saw and cleared it out before I did. The car's gotta recognize stuff in the road that it can't drive through and stop for it, up to and including realizing that the destination can't be reached due to obstruction. (And false positives on this are gonna be really annoying). Meanwhile that same logic has to recognize that the big poof of tissue paper isn't an obstacle and go through it - or at least make the balancing choice between a sudden and unexpected stop and chancing the tissue paper.
- Oh - and don't hit shredded truck tires on the freeway - that's bad.

I don't claim to begin to know all of the situations that stand between sweet driver assist and self-driving. I do claim that we aren't even working on self-driving yet - we're still figuring out the tools that go in the self-driving toolkit and building a sweet driver assist system, that can morph and iterate over time into self-driving.

But you've indicated that self-driving isn't important to your investment thesis (as it isn't to mine), so we can enjoy the awesome driver assist we have today, marvel at how it advances and handles a wider and wider range of tasks, and sit back and enjoy the view while we find out of Elon's right about a year or two, or not.

Tim Cook looks ready for the golden handshake and a nice comfortable quiet retirement.

Then I googled him and he is only 59!
I thought the Same about Jim Chanos. He's only 61! and this picture is over a year old
chanos3-1.jpg

In this afternoon's WaPo:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...fficials-probe-alleged-tesla-battery-defects/

"According to a letter last week, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is evaluating a petition to investigate potential defects in Tesla batteries, particularly those for Model S and X vehicles produced for model years 2012 through 2019.

An attorney filing a class-action lawsuit on behalf of Tesla owners brought the petition to the agency’s Office of Defects Investigation, citing an “alarming number of car fires” that appeared to be spontaneous."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...fficials-probe-alleged-tesla-battery-defects/

"According to a letter last week, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is evaluating a petition to investigate potential defects in Tesla batteries, particularly those for Model S and X vehicles produced for model years 2012 through 2019.

An attorney filing a class-action lawsuit on behalf of Tesla owners brought the petition to the agency’s Office of Defects Investigation, citing an “alarming number of car fires” that appeared to be spontaneous."

Russ Mitchell on Twitter
"Note: NHTSA informs me that the Tesla fire inquiry is technically not an “investigation” but rather a “defect petition.” To avoid argument over plain-English definitions, we are changing the language in our story from “investigation” to “probe.”

So what is an alarming numbe

So what is an alarming number?

There's a social side to this that might happen fast - I suspect it's going to be slower.

you never know. Mobile payment took China by storm and nobody predicted it. It is very hard to believe that a country where people almost exclusively rely on cache, no debt/credit card, no personal checks, can leap to mobile payment in such an astonishing speed.

On the 'problems between now and FSD' topic... I'd like to remind everyone of something that is not relatively rare (tree fallen in road) or only in rural locations (super-narrow roads, unusual animals alive/dead in road, people on horses...), but something super commonplace and unhandled...

roundabouts

For US drivers, that seems a really rare thing. For someone in England... these are maybe 50% of road junctions. We use roundabouts EVERYWHERE, and when 2 or 3 cars reach them at *exactly* the same time, its often a matter of facial-expression recognition and super subtle and fast driver negotiation without any visible signals...as to who goes first.

This is not an *unsolvable* problem for a self driving car, but its a problem I don't think anybody seems to even have on their radar yet, and a 'self driving' car that cant fluidly and safely handle a roundabout is just useless in the UK.

European registration data is slowly available.
As Tesla managed to register almost all vehicles from last quarter before the end of September, the first month will be comparatively weak (prepare for Antons SA article). However, quarter to date more cars (more total loading days of ships) are on the way to Europe and the first ship arrived a few days ago. We should see higher figures in November and December.
As I was going through the registration data, I found a unknown registered Tesla in Netherlands (no S, X or 3).
Does someone has an idea what could be going on? Model Y for showroom or EU type classification? Or simply a mistake by someone in a registration office?
Link to the data (page 8): https://www.bovag.nl/BovagWebsite/m...Verkoopstatistieken-oktober-2019.pdf?ext=.pdf
Is that a misprint? For first 10 months of 2018, 5,631 models S & X registered versus 424 for the same period in 2019?

• Funny
Reactions: wipster and Skryll
My likelihood estimation of this? 10%? 50%? 90%? It’s really hard... Just by Elon I would say 75%. By share price 0%. By wisdom of crowds 5%. From demos 50%. I will weight these together into my own estimate which is 20%. Yes that is high. But imo I don’t think most people have really grasped the magnitude of what I wrote above...

My investment in TSLA is rather large and it's not predicated on FSD at all - that's just the potential frosting on the cake. ARK invest typically provides valuation estimates not including FSD as well. I would say almost all investors here would still be invested without any possibility of Tesla's turning into robotaxis.

However, I do think the potential of FSD sweetens the pot well above the current situation (which is still pretty sweet with Tesla currently having the best Autopilot capability by a large margin). And the "step-change" from hardware 2.5 to 3.0 is potentially huge and not well understood by the investing community. When Tesla had FSD investor day much of the investment community said "Ho-hum" but, being financial types, I'm not sure they got it. And since then, Tesla has not really been hyping the new capabilities that will be enabled by the new hardware.

My intuition tells me they are quietly developing the software to drive HW 3.0 and it will be a shocking improvement, even to FSD believers. That when they release the first software that is capable of taking advantage of HW3.0, it will be such a shocking improvement in capabilities that even the shorts will realize how wrong they had been. They will be caught with their pants down, the worst day of their lives. None of this is guaranteed, far from it. But it sure does sweeten the potential reward of a TSLA investment in a way that's hard to ignore. The share price will reflect this step-change in capability long before it is approved by regulators.

The reasons I believe HW 3.0 will be a *huge* jump in capability, beyond Karpathy's public statements that it will, has to do with the way neural nets work and the fact that HW 3.0 is the first processor optimized for that duty while HW 2.5 is simply adapted to FSD. And the fact that the FSD team is currently training HW 3.0 using the billions of miles of AP camera footage that was already filtered and sorted to train HW 2.5. HW 3.0 can process, in real time, neural nets that are *seven times larger* than HW 2.5 is capable of. That's huge. The results of all this development work will not filter gradually into the public eye, it will happen suddenly with a new software release, probably in Q1 2020. The "feature complete" release scheduled for the end of this year is not that exciting if it's not the version optimized for HW 3.0. It's simply the distraction before the real fireworks begin.

Be prepared for some fireworks when Telsa releases the first HW 3.0 optimized updates. Whether this leads to robotaxis in short order is anyone's guess but I'm betting it will put Tesla squarely in the driver's seat in the race to FSD. While my investment in TSLA is not predicated on FSD, it certainly provides a huge opportunity to excel in a manner completely unanticipated by the short-sighted and unimaginative naysayers.

If there is a 10% chance that Tesla takes 10% of that market, it implies a $40B value. Which is about what I dare to hope for.
I think you're doing your statics wrong. If your central estimate for Tesla's market share is 10%, then its best estimated value is $400 billion.

There is always a distribution of probabilities, ie: reaching >10% market share should be equally likely as reaching <10%, if you're choosing your estimated value correctly.

But then discounting that value further is incorrect. It just means your don't have confidence in your central estimate. Again, the proper way to handle uncertainty in an estimate with with a confidence interval ie: you could say you're 95% confident that Tesla's market share would fall between 5% and 15%.

But again, that doesn't change the central estimate, only widens the range of likely outcomes.

hth. Cheers!

My investment in TSLA is rather large and it's not predicated on FSD at all - that's just the potential frosting on the cake. ARK invest typically provides valuation estimates not including FSD as well. I would say almost all investors here would still be invested without any possibility of Tesla's turning into robotaxis.

However, I do think the potential of FSD sweetens the pot well above the current situation (which is still pretty sweet with Tesla currently having the best Autopilot capability by a large margin). And the "step-change" from hardware 2.5 to 3.0 is potentially huge and not well understood by the investing community. When Tesla had FSD investor day much of the investment community said "Ho-hum" but, being financial types, I'm not sure they got it. And since then, Tesla has not really been hyping the new capabilities that will be enabled by the new hardware.

My intuition tells me they are quietly developing the software to drive HW 3.0 and it will be a shocking improvement, even to FSD believers. That when they release the first software that is capable of taking advantage of HW3.0, it will be such a shocking improvement in capabilities that even the shorts will realize how wrong they had been. They will be caught with their pants down, the worst day of their lives. None of this is guaranteed, far from it. But it sure does sweeten the potential reward of a TSLA investment in a way that's hard to ignore. The share price will reflect this step-change in capability long before it is approved by regulators.

The reasons I believe HW 3.0 will be a *huge* jump in capability, beyond Karpathy's public statements that it will, has to do with the way neural nets work and the fact that HW 3.0 is the first processor optimized for that duty while HW 2.5 is simply adapted to FSD. And the fact that the FSD team is currently training HW 3.0 using the billions of miles of AP camera footage that was already filtered and sorted to train HW 2.5. HW 3.0 can process, in real time, neural nets that are *seven times larger* than HW 2.5 is capable of. That's huge. The results of all this development work will not filter gradually into the public eye, it will happen suddenly with a new software release, probably in Q1 2020. The "feature complete" release scheduled for the end of this year is not that exciting if it's not the version optimized for HW 3.0. It's simply the distraction before the real fireworks begin.

Be prepared for some fireworks when Telsa releases the first HW 3.0 optimized updates. Whether this leads to robotaxis in short order is anyone's guess but I'm betting it will put Tesla squarely in the driver's seat in the race to FSD. While my investment in TSLA is not predicated on FSD, it certainly provides a huge opportunity to excel in a manner completely unanticipated by the short-sighted and unimaginative naysayers.

To keep it really quick, I definitely agree that there's software running on Hardware 3.0 that does complete FSD right now at a disengagement rate that is much better than most think and would surprise a lot of people. I don't think its perfect by any means but I think it's very far along. I've said before, I don't expect any major FSD advancements until they start requiring Hardware 3.0 to use certain features.......which at that point oh boy there will be fireworks

On the 'problems between now and FSD' topic... I'd like to remind everyone of something that is not relatively rare (tree fallen in road) or only in rural locations (super-narrow roads, unusual animals alive/dead in road, people on horses...), but something super commonplace and unhandled...

roundabouts

For US drivers, that seems a really rare thing. For someone in England... these are maybe 50% of road junctions. We use roundabouts EVERYWHERE, and when 2 or 3 cars reach them at *exactly* the same time, its often a matter of facial-expression recognition and super subtle and fast driver negotiation without any visible signals...as to who goes first.

This is not an *unsolvable* problem for a self driving car, but its a problem I don't think anybody seems to even have on their radar yet, and a 'self driving' car that cant fluidly and safely handle a roundabout is just useless in the UK.
Oh I went through lot of those when vacationing in France. They're much easier than highway ramps in New Jersey.

I think you're doing your statics wrong. If your central estimate for Tesla's market share is 10%, then its best estimated value is $400 billion.

There is always a distribution of probabilities, ie: reaching >10% market share should be equally likely as reaching <10%, if you're choosing your estimated value correctly.

But then discounting that value further is incorrect. It just means your don't have confidence in your central estimate. Again, the proper way to handle uncertainty in an estimate with with a confidence interval ie: you could say you're 95% confident that Tesla's market share would fall between 5% and 15%.

But again, that doesn't change the central estimate, only widens the range of likely outcomes.

hth. Cheers!
I used a Dirac delta function mostly to prove a point and for mental frameworks. Doing complete pdfs would be too much work and too easy to argue against ;) But yes you are right and it likely would be a conservative expected value. If I was 95% confident of 5-15% of that $5T market I would be way too optimistic. But then again Elon has said game set match, so who knows. Can’t wait for HW3 networks, FSD take rate increases and robotaxi dominance going Heaviside! =)

Reactions: Artful Dodger
You can make an educated guess on what features they are working on from what we have seen and what Tesla and Musk have said.

With FC we should expect City NOA, with the kind of error we got freeway NOA. Moreover we should not expect a lot of city scenarios would be handles.

Tesla is looking to cover certain features, like traffic lights, at 6 nine levels rather than a lot of features at two 9 levels.

Investment community should wake up when they realize with city NOA, Tesla is on par with Waymo but globally instead of in a few places. But who knows what the market will do ....