Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. :)

2. Fremont was only going to by 10k per week after adding more equipment. The original install was expected to by ~5k per week, when they reached that they would parallel the bottlenecks. The ramp took longer than expected and the trade situation changed. Additionally, they saw the ability to get the original line to > 5k and possibly 8k without much additional cost. The ramp delay also pushed things closer to the Y release which could impact 3 sales. Net result was to move forward on GF3 making 3s instead of taking up more space in Fremont and potentially investing more in equipment than they would get in return (if previously line do 7-8 k, and you add new line, it could make other sections the bottle neck so your amortized cost is less good).

Had they expanded 3 in Fremont, they would not have a place for Y now.

3. Tesla did not 5 billion in the bank at the time, they raised ~$2.4 billion in May of this year, ~5 months after groundbreaking on GF3 and ~7 months after buying the lease.

There is a limit to steady state 3 demand, so overcapacity to meet short term demand is not a good option.

Fremont was not the issue...battery supply was. So no reason to ramp production to make more cars when you don't have batteries for them. So demand was not an issue. Now they also are going to make Y at Fremont, so likely no extra space for 3 production there.

Reactions: humbaba
That's what I think, and I don't like that because it's basically cognitive dissonance compared to what we've seen til now

I don't like that but seems likely
There must be a lot of security conversations going on at the moment. Tesla is about to unleash 150k spies into the Chinese market each year, taking video of the land, recording conversations of the general public, creating high quality maps that constantly update.

Elon can also upload it all back to home base in a couple of years via his own private network.

Anyways, the jestful scenario above is just one example of the myriad of details that need to be sorted when an authoritarian government is first opening up to a company that is taking it's biggest step into global production.

There must be a lot of security conversations going on at the moment. Tesla is about to unleash 150k spies into the Chinese market each year, taking video of the land, recording conversations of the general public, creating high quality maps that constantly update.

Elon can also upload it all back to home base in a couple of years via his own private network.

Anyways, the jestful scenario above is just one example of the myriad of details that need to be sorted when an authoritarian government is first opening up to a company that is taking it's biggest step into global production.

I didn't realize they were putting microphones in for the Chinese market. No wonder the government has stopped production! :p

Are you suggesting GF3 can produce LR/P and export to US?

Demand slow growth is not a conspiracy. So many people are delaying the purchase or refuse to consider tesla because of FUD. Wake up.

Also, it doesn’t make any sense to build 3s in the US (higher cost of labor) and then ship it to China and get slapped with tariffs, then have Trump act up irrationally and then pay higher import tariffs for parts coming from overseas.

It’s much more efficient to build the 3s in China as it offsets the risks associated with a trade war. The other huge bonus that Tesla would receive from having a local factory is enormous: huge tax incentives for buyers such as free license plates.

Anyone trumpeting the demand conspiracy is a nutcase. Would Tesla build more factories due to low demand? Duh... who do these short nutcases think we are? A bunch of rookie investors?

Yes it does
Yeah, I completely flubbed making my point. The other examples were about data collection, just having a microphone for a hands free system does not itself make for data collection. Now, with the "hey siri"... that's getting there (though you really want to use Google or Amazon as those have been publicly outed for recording, storing and perusing* the audio data).

Just a mild point that while Tesla is sending video back to the homeland it is not doing the same with audio.

* yes, its for the purpose of improving the service. Not trying to start an argument about that.

Are you suggesting GF3 can produce LR/P and export to US?

Demand slow growth is not a conspiracy. So many people are delaying the purchase or refuse to consider tesla because of FUD. Wake up.

I think you’ve made your point that you believe FUD to be effective. Do you believe there to be a solution or is Tesla doomed because FUD?

A tsla investor cheering with $300 SP is calling an investor wanting $500+ a desperate short seller? You completely lost me.
I love your persistence. And you keep getting responses (here's mine!) Its kinda fun having our very own parody account.

edit: but, aw, heck, I wasn't even addressing you in my post you responded to. If the shoe fits...

I would suggest going back and listening to the conference calls and reviewing the shareholder letters over the past year and a half. It would fix some of your incorrectly drawn conclusions that stem from an entirely false narrative.

tesla is not doomed, albeit growing on a slower path. As an investor, i can see SP triple in maybe five years instead of *5 without effective FUD. Just like human beings are not doomed by climate change yet. But more people will suffer/die because of inaction.

Maybe just me. Every time I see bulls satisfied with the current situation and chant FUD is toothless, I feel a deep disassociation with the reality. If we do not even recognize the problem, which is FUD, how do we even provide a solution?

I think you’ve made your point that you believe FUD to be effective. Do you believe there to be a solution or is Tesla doomed because FUD?

Last edited:
I feel funny you can't even provide a refutal. Sorry but I think you are just like teslaQ, when you can't provide any logic, just ridicule the messenger.

The post you replied to was replying my post.

I love your persistence. And you keep getting responses (here's mine!) Its kinda fun having our very own parody account.

edit: but, aw, heck, I wasn't even addressing you in my post you responded to. If the shoe fits...

"In 5 years Model S, X and Roadster will be considered niche cars and have little effect on the company's overall financial health, thus will have little impact on stock price."

Convince me I'm wrong.

Dan

The Roadster was a niche car yesterday. It is a marketing tool.

Gen II cars will continue to serve a vital role as marketing tools.

Doubly so if Tesla continues to refuse to do paid advertising.

In many/most instances the desire for Model 3 SR/SR+ starts with a fantasy about Model S Ludicrous/Plaid. Ditto Model Y vis-à-vis Model X.

The conference calls exactly prove my point: tsla adjusting quickly to the slower demand growth.

I would suggest going back and listening to the conference calls and reviewing the shareholder letters over the past year and a half. It would fix some of your incorrectly drawn conclusions that stem from an entirely false narrative.

Sorry folks, but I don't buy all these conspiracy theories about GF3 being delayed for political or other nefarious reasons. Throughout the whole process, the Chinese authorities have bent-over-backwards to speed everything up and to all appearances have been beyond accommodating. The contractors and workmen that have done the work have been amazing and I do believe that Elon has taken every opportunity to thank everyone over there for the massive effort they've put in and the amazing schedule they've achieved (finally he found someone that can work to "Elon time"!!).

I think it's either FUD or the due process having to be taken.

In any case, I think it's what's depressing the SP today - classic SP walk-down by the manipulators.

@mongo has already supplied a very reasonable explanation of the situation by differentiating between what Tesla has already received -- permits required to begin initial manufacturing -- and what Tesla is now waiting on -- inspections of those initially manufactured vehicles -- in order to move to full production. Seems very straightforward to me. And, given his consistent knowledge of China's workings, I'm inclined to lend even more credibility to his explanation.