Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT
Cruising Norway on vacation and gratifying to see the amount of Teslas in Molde.
OT as well
I'm currently on a road trip in my Model 3 Highland from The Netherlands through Scandinavia. Copenhagen, Oslo and Bergen all have a lot of EVs, it's wonderful. This is my first road trip with an EV and I have to say I have never experienced range anxiety, because Superchargers are available each 50 km or so, it's insane.

Hybrids aren't any cheaper than many EVs, and certainly more expensive to operate and maintain.

Huh?

Base MSRPs:
$23.5k for Toyota Corolla Hybrid
$28k for Toyota Prius
$28.4k for Toyota Camry (all Hybrid)
$32k RAV4 Hybrid (AWD)

What "many EVs" are you referring to? I assume you don't mean the Leaf 40kWh.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Huh?

Base MSRPs:
$23.5k for Toyota Corolla Hybrid
$28k for Toyota Prius
$28.4k for Toyota Camry (all Hybrid)
$32k RAV4 Hybrid (AWD)

What "many EVs" are you referring to? I assume you don't mean the Leaf 40kWh.
None of those vehicles at that base price offer features comparable to any Tesla vehicle
Apples to donuts.

Institutions are changing how they value $TSLA. The vast majority look at TSLA how I do: 1/ EV business (TAM x EV adoption % x TSLA EV share x ASP x auto gross margin); 2/ FSD (TSLA fleet x EV take rate x $/month); 3/ Energy; 4/ Service/Charging. Many of us see 5/ Robotaxi and 6/ Optimus becoming big TSLA businesses in the future and so want to include valuations for both, but until we see working prototypes that we can compare to everything else out there (so we can size potential TSLA market shares) and attach unit economics to them, we can’t estimate earnings or cash flow ests with any degree of confidence and therefore leave them out of TSLA’s valuation - for now.That said, with a 2024 P/E of 75x (was 50-55x at start of 2024) and TSLA’s EV business barely growing (PEG absurdly high), clearly there is a shift in thinking underway about TSLA valuation with increased weight being put on Robotaxi/Optimus. It will likely come down to can TSLA continue to grow global EV adoption (still only 15%) via a $25K compact and great advertising (AAPL model) until Robotaxi and Optimus prove out and begin to scale. With 72% shareholder support (3:1) for Elon’s comp plan, clearly investors see
@elonmusk
as the perfect manager to lead TSLA into the AI future.

1718811972877.png

The Model 3 refresh has not boosted sales in China.

• Funny
Reactions: Carl Raymond
There has been little real news or data to really have much comment. Most of the recent comments here I see are pretty science fiction to me, but until the numbers for Q2 come out, nothing has been that earth shattering, stock moving.

The vote, which I mentioned would probably pass and all the future hype is what people feel positive/up on. Possible Tesla FSD testing in China was viewed as a positive yesterday. Trust me, there can be plenty more gloom/doom if actual negative news/data is out (this is why the stock has been down recently vs. purely FUDsters).

This is still my opinion, but from what I've seen like Amazon, Meta, early/founders (even though Elon didn't start Tesla) like Bezos, Zuck never get these billion comp plans (Bezos and Zuck never even got more shares from something I saw) so it's surprising shareholders are willing to give Elon such a massive chunk to do what any large owner of a company should be doing.
It's incorrect to say "it's surprising shareholders are willing to give Elon such a massive chunk", the "massive chuck" was already essentially given in 2018, the stolen from Musk by the Delaware Chancery

But I dare-say that if Tesla BoD were to put a similar future package forward based on growing the company valuation 10x from here (as was the case in 2018) then I think that would also pass resoundingly

Sure, it's a lot of money, but if it meant your current investment going 10x or more, you'd be pretty dumb not to agree to that, by comparison any dilution is essentially meaningless

None of those vehicles at that base price offer features comparable to any Tesla vehicle
Apples to donuts.

You wrote "hybrids" and "many EVs", not "hybrids with all the relevant features of a Tesla" and "Teslas".
The market doesn't all care about all the features in a Tesla.
RAV4 Hybrid with the features I really care about is $34.2k, Prius $33k, Corolla $27.3k*, Camry $31.2k*.
For BEVs, ignoring the Leaf, the cheapest long-range BEV with sufficient specs is the Kona SEL, at $36.7k.
Maybe when Chevrolet releases the Boltium it'd come in closer.

* Would not want because sedan.

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
I'm less excited about the bot than I am by the Tesla semi and whatever gets revealed on 8/8. Also the rollout of FSD to china (which looks quite close now, judging from recent reports) and then to Europe.
If FSD lives up to its promise then Tesla will sell every 3,Y and cybertruck it can possibly make at a huge markup, and other car companies will be in massive trouble. Ride-hailing companies like Uber,Lyft will likely implode.

Really not long now until Q2 production. I think if its even a single car higher than Q1 then that will help shape the narrative. I doubt we get hard numbers on cybertrucks, but it would be interesting to see how the ramp is going.
Very good times coming up.
Tesla delivered ~9% fewer cars in 24Q1 compared to 23Q1, in 23Q2 Tesla delivered ~10% more cars than in 23Q1

So if they were to delivery the same in Q2 as Q1 it would be -17% compared to 24Q2, and the only way that would "help shape the narrative" is that the stock would drop hard

I think the minimum number they beed for Q2 is 420k, which put's it on par with the Q1 drop YoY

But as things look right now I fear that even 400k might be a stretch... hard to tell, but China and Europe numbers not looking so pretty. Maybe there are other territories making up for its but the CN wholesale numbers don't seem to indicate that either

We shall see! I can't recall seeing. an estimate from @Troy recently...?

If you think the vast majority of those vehicles sell for anywhere near the base price, you're fooling yourself or being deliberately misleading (I used to work in the auto biz, sorry those are 'get you on the lot' prices!)

In regard to the "people don't want EVs they want hybrids" I have a somewhat unique perspective as I have:
-90k miles in a Chevy Volt, 60% of which were electric
-300k miles in two Tesla Model 3s (the first one got hit and totaled at 200k)
-have given rides for 10,000+ people and have had literally thousands of conversations with people from all over the world about this (I drive in a big tourist mecca).

I would buy another Model 3 before I would take a Volt or something like it for free- and I still say it was a good car and I liked it at the time. (Yes, I'm assuming I couldn't just flip it.)

It's a little depressing just how effective the misinformation campaign by those protecting their market share has been. Most people are stunned how easy it is for me to drive to Key West, FL or anywhere in between (from CA) and to hear about my many road trips. Most people haven't really thought how much easier an EV is to own, especially due to the lack of maintenance and it being "full every morning" if you can charge near home and how "range anxiety" is for the most part a created, artificial problem. Don't even get me started on the performance of the car or FSD.

Is it a little better than when I first drove a Model 3 home almost six years ago to the day? Maybe a little, but overall in some ways it is even worse. People are even more entrenched. The media click bait misinformation, automotive media litany of misleading headlines, news stories from organizations aligned with big oil (guess!), have truly taken control of the narrative. It is far easier to influence people to make up their mind than to get them to change it once it has been made up. I don't even like Gary Black much but on this one topic, I'm sorry, he really has his finger on the pulse of reality. People at Tesla and some ardent Tesla supporters do not. They need to aggressively push back against this misinformation, including through legal means when warranted.