Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
kids go completely bananas for my car. crossing the street, riding their bikes, every group points and hollers. if there's some loitering when i go into the supermarket, they always compliment me as i walk by. i'm telling you, for the next ten years, every first-time car buyer is going to be saving up for a Tesla if at all possible.

adults, on the other hand, are insanely skeptical. vast majority don't believe it's for them. They think owning a Tesla would would mean lots of risk, compromise, and inconvenience, no matter how many times i explain it's very much the opposite.

adults are dumb.

Can you imagine what will start happening when Cybertrucks and Roadsters start hitting the road... Kids will go completely nuts. Adults too.

Tesla will become the most desirable brand, if it isn’t already.

Let me be more blunt. This claim you made is simply false:

... and I quoted several examples of prominent members announcing actual reduction of their Tesla stake (i.e. selling) and no, @StealthP3D was not on the scene "to issue a diatribe". How are those direct citations not countering your false statement head on?

In fact I consider your comments a borderline ad hominem attack against @StealthP3D. Put up or shut up.

Personally I think your spamming of this forum with pomology was only adding noise after the first 2-3 comments, while @StealthP3D's comments about the merits of buy-and-hold were adding signal in most cases, BYMMV - not everyone feels equally strongly about the totality of topics here.

Well done Fact Checking. “pomology” made my day!!!!!!

For the record, I had numerous bullish but off topic comments deleted for talking too much about the pickup truck, Boring Tunnels full of Tesla vehicles or the fabulous SpaceX rocket company that took a Tesla to space. So stop the conspiracy theories...

Yeah, but you've posted close to 6000 comments (not including the deleted ones, obviously) in the past ~15 months. That's an average of 400 comments/month, or just over 13 per day, every day :eek:; so just on a statistical basis, you would unavoidably have some comments deleted. I mean, it doesn't matter how good one is, one is bound to make mistakes. Even Elon makes mistakes, and you're not Elon. Right? :D

Also, freakin' amazing stamina! Were you to launch a line of dietary supplements (multivitamins, energy drinks, etc.) and advertise it (subtly) on TMC you'd get ridiculously rich faster than via trading TSLA!

For those of you interested in FUD, look at this : TeslaDeaths.com: Digital record of Tesla crashes resulting in death

I need to add that AP saved my life about 10 days ago when an irresponsible driver on the Autobahn tried to push my car against the wall. AP did a perfect job drifting away and I did record the scene and gave it to the police who called today agreeing to my statement he did risk many lives and will be held accountable.

Alex on Twitter

Last edited:
That's actually the Q2 news about Tesla - not the Q3 news - and on October 30 TSLA closed at $315.01...

How can a fund that so spuriously accuses Tesla and Elon of fraud, and does so referencing August and September events, not get basic facts right like the actual share price of the stock they are shorting?

He may be hoping that the stock retraces back a bit by the end of the quarter. But looking at the macro and recent strength in SP, in January his pants will surely be on fire.

From a long range perspective this is very material, maybe shorter term too...
Can you imagine what will start happening when Cybertrucks and Roadsters start hitting the road... Kids will go completely nuts. Adults too.

Tesla will become the most desirable brand, if it isn’t already.
When I was thirteen years old and my father was getting a new car, he left his entire choice to me. How many fathers do such things now?
Somebody should try to examine the degree to which non-driving children are strongly influencing adult consumer decisions, specifically vehicles. I have very old data, from the 1980's, that showed rapidly increasing child influence on adult buying decisions including houses and vehicles. Were that to be quantifiable today we might better understand why a) so many games and b) how Elon's children might be influencing more than just the jump seats on Model S.

For those of you interested in FUD, look at this : TeslaDeaths.com: Digital record of Tesla crashes resulting in death

I need to add that AP saved my life about 10 days ago when an irresponsible driver on the Autobahn tried to push my car against the wall. AP did a perfect job drifting away and I did record the scene and gave it to the police who called today agreeing to my statement he did risk many lives and will be held accountable.

Alex on Twitter

Btw., Tesla should probably contest that domain name, as it's smearing Tesla and is an abuse of their trademark.

Last edited:
Maybe Fred took on-board some of the criticism he was getting because I see a dramatic improvement in the quality of the articles at Electrek. In fact I'm not ashamed to say that I've started proactively visiting the site again.
Interestingly, after a fairly long "ban" that was probably initiated back when needy Fred complained about the drop in M3P prices right after he got his, Elon just started acknowledging Electrek again by tweeting one of their articles and replying to Fred's comments. For the longest time Elon would exclusively tweet Teslarati and Clean Technica articles/posts and engage with them while completely ignoring Fred. Who, by the way, was acting a bit like a needy ex-gf, constantly tweeting at Elon. So it seems Electrek has now been re-allowed inside the Circle of Trust.

I''ll make two points. 1) If you want to make non-investment discussions, make your own thread! That has been suggested too.
2) The Apple topic has been hashed over for years here and elsewhere. There is no substantive or material expectation of anything having to do with Tesla happening with respect to Apple.

Continuing to harp on that is diverting from relevant discussions. Please, STOP!

Mod: good advice, let’s end that discussion and start posting substantive things again. RSF.
Did you not see my post above (quoted below)? Jeez! It seems that it is everybody else's reaction that is generating more wasteful posts. I did not even respond to all the downvotes and criticisms early on, as I didn't want to clutter the thread further. It was only after @StealthP3D and @Fact Checking attacked me, that I finally responded. Can we stop already? I get the point! Don't talk about Apple. Got it!

I did not see those mod posts, as I've not read much of the prior posts of the day. But I did suspect that users and mods maybe getting tired of it. And so, note that I did not carry on an further Apple discussion, but merely posted info about two new polls that I made, and responded to one user's comment about the polls. That was it. I was very careful not to have any further actual discussion on Apple in the main forum. I simply wanted to make users aware of the new polls. That was it.

Elon is pretty stubborn though and loves the design of his Cybertruck: he was only open to a more boring truck form factor if the Cybertruck doesn't sell.

I'd estimate the chances for Elon to voluntarily and proactively increase manufacturing complexity so early in the truck design cycle at well below 10%.

I'd also rate the chances for Elon to do the Cybertruck against the objections of Franz, if Franz found the Cybertruck design ugly or impractical, at well below 10% as well.

Elon is super stubborn when he can prove that he is right, but also listens to expert advice - and there's no higher authority on design than Franz.

Franz's track record is picture perfect so far, everything he designed for Tesla in the past was drop dead gorgeous:

So I'm not worried about the looks of the Cybertruck - but I'm super curious. :D

Yeah - Elon definitely places a lot of importance on aesthetics, so I suspect it will be different but not ugly. Well proportioned.

It will look quite sleek from aerodynamic requirements, unlike many of the renders.

I was thinking about how the strategy of Tesla so far....

Starting with the S they wanted a normal looking sedan, not a weird futuristic looking one like the other car companies were making. Something they might have abandoned with a Cybertruck, though I suspect it will be different and beautiful, not different and ugly.

Then with the 3 it was still pretty standard but all the adjustments were around function:
* cabin moved forward because no engine => maximise interior space
* aerodynamic nose with no grill
So it looked mostly like a sedan - slightly weird in a good way

With the Y they built something which doesn't look much like other CUVs, but in other ways was a safe design based on the success of the 3.

And then recently I heard Elon say that they do not have a Tesla design aesthetic they try to stick with in each car to make it look like a Tesla.

Having said all this, when it comes to design, safe designs have broader appeal. For example, I once designed an app I though was really cool with hot pink, and showed it to a bunch of people. They all didn't appreciate the pink, and I found that a safer blue was the most popular color. On the other hand, I was always just designing apps which I liked because I knew there would be other people with my tastes. It's a question of how many people you are trying to attract to your app/car vs how much time/money you spend on it.

Another aspect of design is that bright, vibrant, unusual designs can often seem like something interesting and cool at first and they age very quickly. Something like the tiles on Windows10 might look ok at first, but using them every day just leads to hating the bright colors. If the pickup is too outlandish then it might lead to visual fatigue and ageing of the design. Or perhaps it will set a new direction in auto design if it was done well. If it follows a new shape, but sleek and minimalistic looking, then I think it will be a popular hit. If it really is more Mad Max, maximalist style then it will be pretty niche.

US fraud prosecutors demand Ford Focus, Fiesta documents

Uh oh, looks like Ford knowingly sold 2 MILLION cars with defective transmissions which are impossible to fix. Ford could be facing an absolutely massive class action suit, plus action by the DOJ.

Imagine the brainstorming meeting where they decide to add a dashboard light to warn customers of a knowingly bad transmission instead of replacing a bad design.

Reactions: Mike Smith
Treelon letter to Einhorn_2019.11.08.jpg

giphy.gif

Attachments

• Treelon letter to Einhorn_2019.11.08.jpg
    Treelon letter to Einhorn_2019.11.08.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 44

Alex on Twitter
Tesladeath is actually a bull site in disguise. I did the math and it ends up that people die in a Tesla 1/6th of an average ICE. It's hilarious that they keep a record of this stuff.

Elon responds to David Einhorn's investor letter on twitter:

Elon Musk on Twitter

"To the extent that you have any desire to learn about the amazing progress the people of Tesla are making, I would like to extend an open invitation to meet with me to discuss Tesla and tour our facilities. For their sake, I'm certain your investors would appreciate you getting smart on Tesla"

Elon is Elon...so I may be way off on this comment:
If Elon is comfortable publicly taunting Einhorn today, then it's confirmed: Q4 will be a blowout quarter.

Edit: Having worked in an international company for years, I am always careful with the words I use.
I see that "Blowout" is really a North American term as to how I used it.

North American meaning: "an easy victory in a sporting contest"

Last edited:
Yeah, but you've posted close to 6000 comments (not including the deleted ones, obviously) in the past ~15 months. That's an average of 400 comments/month, or just over 13 per day, every day :eek:; so just on a statistical basis, you would unavoidably have some comments deleted. I mean, it doesn't matter how good one is, one is bound to make mistakes. Even Elon makes mistakes, and you're not Elon. Right? :D

Also, freakin' amazing stamina! Were you to launch a line of dietary supplements (multivitamins, energy drinks, etc.) and advertise it (subtly) on TMC you'd get ridiculously rich faster than via trading TSLA!
Many are honest enough to leave our posts up regardless of how they age. I have never deleted a post and find your argument not convincing. Maybe you will delete the post?

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
Tesladeath is actually a bull site in disguise. I did the math and it ends up that people die in a Tesla 1/6th of an average ICE. It's hilarious that they keep a record of this stuff.

Part of that is perception.
My wife constantly talks about how dangerous commercial airplanes are.
Even when I remind her that only one person has died (US) in the last ten years she goes on and on about other crashes.

*Southwest engine explosion. Window breaks and woman partially sucked out. Wife won't sit in window seat anymore.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel and humbaba
Many are honest enough to leave our posts up regardless of how they age. I have never deleted a post and find your argument not convincing. Maybe you will delete the post?
Not really sure where you're going with this... My comment was related to off-topic posts being frowned upon, moved to relevant threads or outright deleted by the mods, as opposed to authors deleting their own poorly-aged posts.

I, too, do not delete my own previous posts; I find embarrassment to be a positive driving force for self-improvement.

Accordingly I dutifully executed purchase of $tsla june 2020 $690 call options last Thursday

@TrendTrader007 , @Papafox , @neroden , I've been trying to figure out some guidelines for minimizing risk/reward on options positions, and I was thinking you guys with more experience might be able to help.

First off, apologies to Papafox for borrowing your thread for this. And second, TT007, I can't believe you managed to dress up as Einhorn in short shorts for Halloween while carrying such massive cahones. My compliments on your conviction. I hope you're right.

So here's the basic question: How did you pick your call strike price at $690, 7.5 months out? Where do you see the SP at that point?
The thing I'm having trouble with, is when you're that far out of the money its practically free, with a terrible spread, and to buy, say the $590 or the $640 doesnt cost that much more. And if you end up in the green on 690 at expiration, then you'd end up with $100 more on 590, on just a few less contracts, given the same investment -- and a lot less risk. So how do you calculate the best option?

I guess an important piece of info on that is: what's your play? Are you expecting short term spike (2.5 months as you say) and then sell the calls and recover a lot of the time value on the option, or are you holding till expiry because the spread is so bad?