Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla plans to build next factory in Berlin, Musk says

BERLIN -- Elon Musk told an award ceremony crowd that Tesla Inc. plans to build its next factory near the German capital of Berlin, sending a stark message to some of the world’s most prestigious automakers that he’s headed for their home turf.

The electric-car maker also will establish an engineering and design center in Berlin near the new airport, Tesla’s chief executive officer said late Tuesday. He made the announcement while accepting an award for the company’s Model 3 sedan.

Tesla will build the Model 3 and Model Y at the plant starting in 2021, the Financial Times said.

Musk, 48, is laying the groundwork for his next plant just as Tesla is preparing to start sales of cars built on the outskirts of Shanghai. Building a European factory will up the stakes for established automakers already facing a serious threat from the electric upstart. Regulators are increasingly mandating that companies build battery-powered vehicles despite manufacturers struggling to produce them profitably.

Last update:

Saw Elon 10 meters from us. Politely asked the security if we could take a picture, they said no. We left him alone. On the one hand super awesome to see him up close, on the other hand a bit disappointing to be so close and then not get a picture. Oh well, next time.

These are the only really crappy pictures I took when he left.
I'm glad to hear he's got security. That's a positive learning from your stalking.

struggling for relevance... After all her insults, lies and malicious actions does she think that now Elon will start feeding her information rather than letting her learn from announcements?

Or is that just the smell of desperation...

Lora Kolodny‏Verified account @lorakolodny 10m10 minutes ago

Replying to @elonmusk

How many people will work there? What funds will you use to build it? Will you own or occupy the GFB in partnership with any other organizations? Will you make HV battery packs there? How many at the design center? Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

1.) Elon Musk in Berlin

2.) Announcing the Gigafactory 4 in Germany

3.) The open overtures between Elon Musk on Twitter and Herbert Diess (Volkswagen CEO) lately and now on screen.

Watch (start @ 45:00):
start @ 45:00

4.) Winnning the "Goldenes Lenkrad" - > Winning a price from the biggest "news" provider in Germany, with heavy advertising from the industry
and then in this category! Chosen over Bmw 3 series and Audi A4. That is huge!

Winner in the middle and upper class: Tesla Model 3
Google Übersetzer

5.) Maybe there is more in the works.

This needs some days to digest, but, man...

...Start at 40:36 for the full award announcement and Elon intro...

They also said that Tesla won the most points in any category

What an amazing day it has been, between Morten Grove on twitter and the TMC crew,
putting all the pieces together...
Didn't think I'd be watching a German award show today!

If the SP keeps on rising at this rate, we'll see Spiegel going bankrupt before the end of this year

What a nice Christmas gift that would be! :cool::D
If I recall correctly, around the time TSLA was over $350 last time, he said he converted his whole position to PUTs. which might have been profitable if he covered in time - I assume he didn’t. He is too stu[born].

Do we know if he went back to being naked short?

• Helpful
Reactions: SpaceCash
Does anyone have an idea how GF4 will be financed? I doubt German banks are going to be as helpful as the state controlled banks in China.
That's a really good question. Today in Germany the local savings and loans are the big financing entities for the mid sized german manufacturer (basically tesla on down). They in turn are mostly owned by local governments and unions. Thus financing is inherently political and used to create and support jobs. In this regard German S&L might be willing to fund. However...lots of strings attached. A capital raise at this level might be useful though to enable funding of additional GFs in the US, something of a need if the pickup truck is at all a success.

Others have commented on how this move will enable Germans to buy Tesla without shame. Very good point.