Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woo, Giga 4 and new awards? *And* tree-fiddy? It's a great day to be alive.

qqa7ok.jpg

I assume most of you know the reference, but in case anyone's just going along...

Well, that's the most family-friendly one. Finding and viewing the others is left as an exercise for the reader.

Last update:

Saw Elon 10 meters from us. Politely asked the security if we could take a picture, they said no. We left him alone. On the one hand super awesome to see him up close, on the other hand a bit disappointing to be so close and then not get a picture. Oh well, next time.

These are the only really crappy pictures I took when he left.

Glad to see Elon has a security detail. Was worried a bit with these TESLAQ nutcases getting crazier every day.

If the SP keeps on rising at this rate, we'll see Spiegel going bankrupt before the end of this year

What a nice Christmas gift that would be! :cool::D

If I recall correctly, around the time TSLA was over $350 last time, he said he converted his whole position to PUTs. which might have been profitable if he covered in time - I assume he didn’t. He is too stu[born].

Do we know if he went back to being naked short?
I find it ironic that the reward was given by Auto Bild, owned by Springer who also owns BSInside. I'm not sure if some Spiegel is also involved? Probably with more cash ...

• Informative
Reactions: Thumper
Hi Papa, that's not quite what I thought.
There are two distinct actors here.
1. Brokerages that have sold Tesla hedging calls - they may have been ones buying stock in the open market last few days, as much as delta hedging calls for at this level. As they sold 5 years options to Tesla for which there is no regular instruments, they have to manage this trade to completion, at this point through buying stock. Of course they can use options, and just manage Greeks, but stock is easier to understand. After all, this service is what they'll charge Tesla cool $100 or $200M.
As per hedging theory and delta of 5 years options, I expect brokerages will need to keep buying stock as price approaches 310 for the reasons of delta (and gamma?) hedging. At $310, delta should be close to 1, and they should be done, having equivalent of the full 100% position.
2. As SP crosses $310 upwards, buyers of bonds come into play - this is second set of actors. They're protected on the upside, so if they choose so, they can short Tesla, or they can sell calls to MM. MMs now owning thousands of calls would need to short stock in order to delta hedge, result is the same, both strategies result into selling pressure. If this selling pressure arrests move upwards and manages to drop SP under $310, bond holders can cover (or buy back calls they sold) at lower price, and lie it wait to rinse and repeat strategy. If they don't manage to arrest the price, this is likely one time barrier that gets overrun and forgotten. But the permanent effect seems as if there are few million shares permanently shorted, so it increases stock float.

Except it doesn't. Well, yes and no. Yes, there are shares shorted, but also there are few millions of shares owned by brokerage as a hedge against calls sold to Tesla. If brokerage carefully manages clients and has similar allocation of calls sold to Tesla and hedge funds owning converts, these two needs can indeed offset each other. Anyhow, overall effect on TSLA when SP is far removed from conversion price of $310 is neutral. When SP is around $310, it creates weird effects.

As Tesla approaches $310 from below, upward moment is driven quicker due to buying of MMs (increasing delta), this buying interest disappears at $310 and above $310 moments turns negative due to short-selling of bond holders. It's like elastic band effect, and then it snaps, once bond holders have full position and can't sell hedged short anymore (310-320-340-360?, don't know).

Now, second scenario, SP coming down towards $310 from higher levels, nothing happens until $310, assuming bond holders have had full position, but below $310, momentum picks up, as MMs start selling their stake (as per delta hedging), which at some point gets arrested as bond holders start covering, reapping profits. Unless they're ideological shorts, but in any case MMs stop selling at around $240, and are out of position.

I hope this makes sense. Word of caution, I understand hedging, but rest of the stuff is my speculation on market participants behaviours, not an intimate knowledge of any single actor strategy.

I'm fairly sure - but again, please correct me if I'm wrong - that what actually makes market makers increase or decrease the move of the market is gamma, not OI in either puts or calls - ie. whether MMs have to hedge puts or calls, the magnitude of their dynamic hedging is about the same in either direction.

The MMs already bought the shares to do the initial delta hedging.

Consider this:

What happens if the SP goes down by $5? The delta of all every call they're short is lower, so they have to sell some shares to remain delta neutral. Further, the puts now have a bigger negative delta, which has the same effect, they have to sell shares.

What happens if the SP goes *up* by $5? More or less the same thing, but in reverse. The call delta is higher so they need to buy more share, the put delta is less negative so they have to buy more shares.

This is the effect of the MMs being short gamma - they will amplify price movements by dynamically hedging. If they had long gamma (ie. people wrote options instead of buying them), which basically only happens in indices and ETNs and volatility products and such, they would instead have to do the opposite and would thus dampen the price movement.
Tesla also has weirdness related to convertible bonds it sold and associated levels. See above post and previous ones if interested. One such level is $310, and one such level was $350-$360, but I think that one was paid up in Q1. Anyhow, there could be other levels, wherever there is a convertible bond, but I've stopped being interested in details, I just hold and play around position nowadays...

As far as funding for GF4, I'm sure the German government is willing to assist.
They saw Tesla was planning to build a factory in Europe, and probably said might as well provide the jobs in our country.
They take the transition to EVs and the environmental aspects seriously, and are open about it.
The journalist at the award show even asked the VW CEO on stage in front of everybody, why he was so far behind Tesla.

This show was embarassing (the hosts, not Elon). Awkward like a bunch of amateurs. Too bad this great news was given in such a cheap setting :(.

Is the award/show something mainstream/well renown in Germany? Was it just poorly produced? They mentioned that Overlord Musk had been there for the Models S and X already.

Although, if nitpicking is to nitpick; Overlord Musk's jacket was not flattering at all on him. It needed to be tailored at the waist, or something, it looked very much like he just found the jacket in a grandfather's closet.