Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The headlights on the Rivian make it look like an Edsel.

It's not fatal that Rivian has a few designers who can't look at those headlights, and then tear up their drawings and do it over.
But it might be fatal that Rivian has management types who viewed those headlights and then didn't fire the designer(s).

I was curious about the Cybertruck bed width, so took a screenshot the birds eye view of the truck, cropped out the bed, and looked at the resulting size. It was 216x248. Based on the bed length of 78”(6.5’), that gives me a width of 68”(5.5’).

I was wondering if my slide in camper would fit- it weighs 3000# made for a short bed 1 ton. So looks like I will be $100 bucks lighter today.
I think truck was more of a concept- I think actual production vehicle will be smoothed out a little (more rounded edges)

7-8th graders are up to 14 years old, and in 2 years they might be driving a truck already, and in 4 years they might be buying a new one - or have great influence on the purchase decision. :)

Kids already have great influence over purchase decisions:

"Dad, don't get that dumb Silverado, get the Cybertruck!"

Dad can tell all his friends he let his 8-year-old choose the truck.

Based upon what we know and/or can guess, what can we expect in efficiency in Wh/mile for the Cybertruck? Any reason to expect major differences in efficiency for the 3 varieties of Cybertruck?

I believe I read the claim here that the $40k 250-mile range model has a 75kwh battery in the front. If so that would mean:
75000Wh / 250 miles = 300 Wh per mile

That seems unlikely because it is about what my 2018 Model S does, but if so, wow.

Of course the longer range models have larger batteries, and that means more weight. How much would we expect the efficiency to go down?

How does the addition of the third motor for the 500-mile version change the equation ?

The problem with this hypothesis is that in two years, every other truck will look dated in the popular imagination, also it will have lower specs and a higher price point. While it's remotely possible it that a more conventional (by today's standards) looking truck will be made, I don't foresee a high probability of it actually happening.

I think @KarenRei hit the sweet spot on this question. Some additional creases it the right places that don't effect specs but will improve the appearance just enough to boost the % who like it. Such minor body changes would not leave Cybertruck looking remotely conventional.

Based upon what we know and/or can guess, what can we expect in efficiency in Wh/mile for the Cybertruck? Any reason to expect major differences in efficiency for the 3 varieties of Cybertruck?

I believe I read the claim here that the $40k 250-mile range model has a 75kwh battery in the front. If so that would mean:

That seems unlikely because it is about what my 2018 Model S does, but if so, wow.

Of course the longer range models have larger batteries, and that means more weight. How much would we expect the efficiency to go down?

How does the addition of the third motor for the 500-mile version change the equation ?

I'm expecting 400 Wh/mile (empty) for battery sizes of 100, 120 and 200 kWh for each of the three performance options.

On top of that are all the specs that blows everything else away. This thing will be incredible off roading and the word (and youtube videos) will get around. Then they can move in and sweep up the mainstream pickup market with a "normal" looking mass market release.

It would be a step backward to produce a "normal" looking pickup after the Cybertruck.

You got it right in your first sentence. But it's not just the engineering specs that blow all the other trucks away, it's the price and cost of ownership.

I'm entertained by how the CNBC types don't talk about the most newsworthy release, that it has an exoskeleton of thick, corrosion-resistant SS.

Last edited:
I work in tech but I'm in a very red state in the south of the US. No one here talked about the Y after it was unveiled. But my office is buzzing over the truck in a positive way. People I know who never had an interest in an EV have ordered. I'm dying to know the number of orders.

Fascinating. I have a family member in the Southern US -- they informed me no one had brought it up with them, and the one person they brought it up with said it wasn't for them.

I think @KarenRei hit the sweet spot on this question. Some additional creases it the right places that don't effect specs but will improve the appearance just enough to boost the % who like it. Such minor body changes would not leave Cybertruck looking remotely conventional.

She's on the money as usual.

Reactions: 2virgule5

My 2010 F-150 with the smaller V-8 averages about 17-18 mpg if you keep a gentle foot on the throttle. On a long trip with no headwinds or steep hills I can eek out 19 MPG if I keep my cruising speed really slow. I've tried to talk efficiency with other truck owners but they get a blank stare on their faces. Not only don't they know what MPG their truck actually gets, but they also don't *want* to know. They just know it's a cost of living because they could never drive a normal car.

So, all things being equilateral, I think the Cybertruck is a huge success.

While we scramble to try and guesstimate the order numbers, I’ve been struck by the number of people here placing orders, my gut feeling is that it’s higher than we had for MY.

Having read every post, I had the initial impression that people hated it, but it became apparent that this is a minority of members with repetitive posts; overall we are loving it (after the initial shock, of course).

The reaction on Twitter is very positive too, lots of buzz.

Folks - don't often quote myself, but I just want to say how disappointed I am that no-one picked up my little joke there :(

EKANjMsXUAIgGCk.jpg

Posted by Alter Viggo on Twitter