Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we know MotorTrend has exclusive access to the Cybertruck before the reveal, and posted a series of photos behind the scenes.

Did anyone else spot that there's the very front-edge of a conventional pick-up truck in the third image of their tweet here: MotorTrend on Twitter

EJ8zDOHUYAA4ORR.jpeg

Can anyone identify that vehicle? Is it an ICE truck parked close to the Cybertruck by mistake?

EDIT: People are saying it's a Chevy Silverado Trail Boss.

Last edited:
1. I believe over the next two years we will see a dramatic increase in battery production at Tesla.
2. Four years from now, conventional looking trucks will be on the way out. Last night just made them all obsolete.
I think the truck design does not fit the truck buyer/user. Think contractor type. Construction. They want something that isn't so angled/they don't want cyperpunk, they want country tough. It's fine as a novelty item. As another poster said the battery capacity isn't there anyways for this to sell like the F-150. It is about pushing the envelope in engineering - I think that's how Elon sees it.

Folks - don't often quote myself, but I just want to say how disappointed I am that no-one picked up my little joke there :(
Some of us do sleep my friend, and I think this event may have set a new record for posts, so my apologies for missing it the first time.

But I think it's funny now!

Reactions: Tslynk67 and mongo
I think the truck design does not fit the truck buyer/user. Think contractor type. Construction. They want something that isn't so angled/they don't want cyperpunk, they want country tough. It's fine as a novelty item. As another poster said the battery capacity isn't there anyways for this to sell like the F-150. It is about pushing the envelope in engineering - I think that's how Elon sees it.
You know what the first stage of grief is, right?

denial

Ask them again in a week and see if it’s grown on them. It’s a little too shocking to just spring a picture of it on someone and expect them not ask what the heck.

Even truer if your face is all snarled up when you ask the question as if you would have to be really oddball to like it. ;)

Shortly after the Model S was released, there were a couple high profile car fires, one of them due to road debris.

Tesla countered by analyzing the situation, identifying the weakness, and updating the design to add a titanium armor plate and extruded aluminum alloy "debris catcher" featuers. They then released video of them testing by throwing concrete blocks, alternators, and trailer hitches under the car, only to have them crushed or swept harmlessly out of the way. The issue of road debris instantly became a non-issue (although fire fud from other sources was a popular tactic). They did this in a week or two.

Tesla needs to update their transparent armor, and release a video of similar objects hurled out of air cannons not shattering the window. Then they unload a gatling gun in to it at close range, and point out that although heavy military grade firepower may crack the widow, it still does not penetrate. The issue will instantly evaporate.

It would be hard to find a more country tough truck than the Cybertruck. Knee-jerk reactions don't mean a lot in the long run.

It would be hard to find a more country tough truck than the Cybertruck. Knee-jerk reactions don't mean a lot in the long run.
I don't mean country tough as in strength, I mean in aesthetics. The cowboy/construction worker/farmer I doubt will want this; this is has an urban aesthetic. That said, great vehicle. And a good niche product. Elon has already said he's not counting on this as a mass market vehicle but rather it's a passion project. If he wants to sell mass volume he said they can make a more conventional truck.

I don't mean country tough as in strength, I mean in aesthetics. The cowboy/construction worker/farmer I doubt will want this; this is has an urban aesthetic. That said, great vehicle. And a good niche product. Elon has already said he's not counting on this as a mass market vehicle but rather it's a passion project. If he wants to sell mass volume he said they can make a more conventional truck.

A steel exoskeleton with a working body is an urban aesthetic? What urban locale do you come from that it would fit with the aesthetic? If the Tesla truck had been what I expected (a cross between the semi and a strongly cab forward design) I could understand that claim based on it being a strongly aerodynamic body. But this? Its almost straight out of Mad Max. Next thing you'll be claiming a heavy duty brush guard is an urban aesthetic.

In order to protect that "country tough" aesthetic I expect truck pulls to introduce rules require a minimum of six cylinders in order to participate. Don't want to have any EVs embarrassing those "country tough" pickup owners :eek:

Totally agree. it is a fun vehicle rather than a utility vehicle. tsla should have no problem coming up with an alternative design in the long run.In its present form, it will probably attract enough buyers to get by. those at my company who commute to work in F150 on a daily basis would buy it. Those young kids racing modified pickups in the streets of my neigborhood would want it.

So we know MotorTrend has exclusive access to the Cybertruck before the reveal, and posted a series of photos behind the scenes.

Did anyone else spot that there's the very front-edge of a conventional pick-up truck in the third image of their tweet here: MotorTrend on Twitter

View attachment 480142

Can anyone identify that vehicle? Is it an ICE truck parked close to the Cybertruck by mistake?

EDIT: People are saying it's a Chevy Silverado Trail Boss.

YldbBBx
Imgur [/IMG]

Added a few lines. There now that looks better