Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more thing...

upload_2019-11-22_22-46-7-jpeg.480160

Elon of all people should be well aware of the material science fact that 99% of material fatigue is near invisible, and the final 1% damage is catastrophic.

BTW., it's also possible that when Franz "tested" the hammer on the ground shortly before the window test, it picked up a grain of sand or a very small stone - which sprung the glass and shattered it.

So we know MotorTrend has exclusive access to the Cybertruck before the reveal, and posted a series of photos behind the scenes.

Did anyone else spot that there's the very front-edge of a conventional pick-up truck in the third image of their tweet here: MotorTrend on Twitter

View attachment 480142

Can anyone identify that vehicle? Is it an ICE truck parked close to the Cybertruck by mistake?

EDIT: People are saying it's a Chevy Silverado Trail Boss.
I'd be more concerned around whats on the TV screen in the second picture.
EJ8zDOHU8AEoBT9

My wife pulls into the garage this morning after her morning swim and I'm standing there in the garage with a grin a mile wide.

She gets out and is like, "What?"

"Oh you're gonna LOVE this one."

"What?"

"Time to get the lawyers I'm sure."

"Who's suing you?"

"You are."

"What'd you do?"

"I ordered a Cybertruck."

"You're right, get the lawyers."

But as we walked into the kitchen, I could see she was smiling. And then she said,

"I kind of like it."

And it's clear, she's gonna wind up with it.

I might have to order another!

View attachment 480045

I asked my spouse this morning, after ordering one last night. ‘How much do you hate it?’ They replied, ‘It’ll grow on me.’ :D

The single motor RWD version will offer 250 miles of range.

A dual motor all-wheel-drive version will reach 300 miles of range and a tri-motor version will have 500 miles of range:

Model X has 314 mils with 100 kWh.

Therefore:

80 kWh - maybe 75?
100 kWh?
175 kWh? Not double height? With battery improvements this might be in the same volume as 125.

50% more battery than SR+ for the same price - plus a few other features....
I realise that my figures are probably on the low side. I didn't look at weight or 0-60 times to cross reference. Anyone care to improve on these before FC gets in there?

Double stack is confirmed for the top spec I believe. Could be 200 kWh - same as Roadster.

Don't think so, Hans himself has stated every model stands on it own, there is no Tesla Design DNA that must be in every vehicle.

Would love to see a SUV version of this.
It's not model related, it's engineering approach that creates toughness and durability at half the cost. Like, do you want to pay 2x for round corners and paint and then pay again for fixing that paint or pay 2x less and not care what happens to your car. A bit futuristic concept.

So we know MotorTrend has exclusive access to the Cybertruck before the reveal, and posted a series of photos behind the scenes.

Did anyone else spot that there's the very front-edge of a conventional pick-up truck in the third image of their tweet here: MotorTrend on Twitter

View attachment 480142

Can anyone identify that vehicle? Is it an ICE truck parked close to the Cybertruck by mistake?

EDIT: People are saying it's a Chevy Silverado Trail Boss.

God eye! I was more interested in getting a look at the rest of the clay model.

screenshot.jpg

It looks like the design was simplified between the mock up and the demo model, (no turn under, adjusted swage line, etc).

From the little seen here, it looks like at least some of the "softening" details that some feel are missing were at least considered.

Who knows if it was aesthetics and/or manufacturing limitations that led to the simplified design, but it's easy to say these guys are on top of it, and that by the time it ships, they will put out the product that best supports the mission.

Since they just significantly lowered base price for a Tesla that will tow my boat, I'm sold either way.

Edit: Looks like "these guys" pictured are actually Motortrend staffers with Franz, not design team as I wrongly assumed.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2019-11-22-at-3.09.01-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2019-11-22-at-3.09.01-PM.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen-Shot-2019-11-22-at-3.09.01-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2019-11-22-at-3.09.01-PM.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 42
I honestly feel like this truck is a publicity stunt, intended to poke at the big 3. "Look at them, they're history". Fact of the matter is: Tesla is battery constraint. It cannot make cars fast enough. So why introduce a mainstream truck without having the capacity to build it en masse?

Good point.

And the answer is likely that they will no longer be battery constrained in 2021 because of breakthroughs in battery technology capitalizing on maxwell tech allowing cheaper mass production.

That would also explain how they can get a 500 mile range on a 500Wh/m car for less than $80k in 2021.

Which implies that the 20+% profit margin on Model 3/y is going to be a lot higher in 2021.

The cowboy/construction worker/farmer I doubt will want this; this is has an urban aesthetic.

Boy, I don't see anything urban about any vehicle 20' long really. Urban is small and space efficient as I see it. This thing exudes military quality to me. No chrome, no color scheme, high clearance, quiet, minimized lights and protuberances and lightly armored. The battery pack is probably somewhat effective in protecting occupants from below. There will probably be a bio-defense system. There are so many ways to go with this but it is not for everyone certainly. I like it more and more.

Our local sheriffs would find a lot to like IMO. I would think a lot of government organizations would find this vehicle interesting.

That's weird... Did Franz have the right sized ball?

I guess they could have tested it too much, and triggered stress fractures that didn't show up right away.

Could be but an extremely odd coincidence with very low likelihood to have that with 2 windows that have different dimensions.

We may never find out what happened but this moment is epic and will remain in the history books for Tesla.

Could be but an extremely odd coincidence with very low likelihood to have that with 2 windows that have different dimensions.

We may never find out what happened but this moment is epic and will remain in the history books for Tesla.
Someone up stream mentioned the amount of free advertising this got.

Even the haters had to show the cybertruck.
Even as a blooper this will pay off like a champ.

420 secured :D

There's only one issue I can see with pulling an RV with the Cybrtrck and it's only relevant to 5th-wheel style trailers. The high sides of the vault will hit the trailer during radical turning, or backing into a campsite. Not sure because of my lack of experience, but maybe a gooseneck-style trailer might work. Travel trailers will work perfectly tho.

True, but not sure it matters much. If your trailer is a fifth wheel, there’s a good chance you’re over the tow rating of the cybertruck anyway.

Anybody having thoughts of model 3 / Y in the cybertruck shape? I mean, future is here, why limit it to the truck?

Cyber could become a brand, so cyber-suv, cyber-bus, cyber-van, etc.Most manufacturers have brands which appeal to different demographics, often with similar vehicles but one being the luxury, another the mass-market, and another the budget.

A cyber-model 3 / y would not appeal to everyone, I think most would still prefer the current design even if a bit more expensive. It would however in my opinion appeal to enough to justify manufacturing a parallel design, same components in a different body.