Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know what the first stage of grief is, right?

denial

Ahem (shame about the typo :()

And with that bit of blatant self-promotion, I'm off to bed. Has been a gas, folks, have a great weekend!

upload_2019-11-22_22-18-48.png

absolutely 10000% you would be foolish to underestimate how dope this thing actually is and how perfect the design is.

hell yea sucka playa. This thing straight up murks the old school Escalades.

hater hos need to get over their five stages of grief in quickness and accept that this is a pimp ass ride.

So we know MotorTrend has exclusive access to the Cybertruck before the reveal, and posted a series of photos behind the scenes.

Did anyone else spot that there's the very front-edge of a conventional pick-up truck in the third image of their tweet here: MotorTrend on Twitter

View attachment 480142

Can anyone identify that vehicle? Is it an ICE truck parked close to the Cybertruck by mistake?

EDIT: People are saying it's a Chevy Silverado Trail Boss.

Why are we assuming that it's a conventional pickup truck? Could GM be the mystery "major carmaker" that @KarenRei's confidential source suggested is Tesla's pickup truck EV drive-train partner? With the Tesla Design Studio working on an EV version of the Chevy Silverado?

Get the feeling something went really hinky during the presentation last night, as Elon recently posted this on reply to a question about the glass:

"We threw same steel ball at same window several times right before event & didn't even scratch the glass!"

Bizarre...

More information on it found in this Reddit thread: I held "the ball" and talked to Senior Reliability Engineer for 30 minutes about the broken glass incident. : teslamotors

"I talked to their chief reliability engineer at event and held the 1 kg steel ball Franz threw. He said they threw it 5 times the night before with no issue, and suspected microfractures were root cause. Interestingly, they had spare windows on standby and fixed it within 45 minutes. But they chose not to use the fresh windows during event. They also recommended to Elon that he should NOT try it, and instead just stick with the ball drop gag."

So, quick review:

member estimates are at 100k+ for reservations on the Cybertruck within past 18 hours of presentation.

Top google searches/interest on Cybertruck are not coming from California, but... wait for it... coming from *Middle America*

Oh how the irony works its magic.

Goes to show the how detached from reality these “analysts” are.

The excitement of something as imagination provoking as the Cybertruck stimulates new ideas and aesthetics which companies were too fearful to bring to market because “polling problems.”

It will be hard to think that getting into a Cybertruck on a daily basis won’t put a smile on your face, or get you to enter a new world of imagination to distract from the daily monotonous grind of same old same old. It provides a sense of freedom not found in the same old designs and experiences we’ve seen over and over again for the past few decades.

The Cybertruck maybe that shock to our systems required to free our senses from the slumber of stasis and mediocrity.

How could we expect anything different from Elon. This is the *brand.* He shocked the internal combustion stasis. He shocked the fossil fuel utility stasis. He shocked the space industry stasis.

This is just what Elon and all his businesses do. And this is what consumers want, the early Cybertruck numbers don’t lie, sorry to be counternarrative dear “analysts.”

More information on it found in this Reddit thread: I held "the ball" and talked to Senior Reliability Engineer for 30 minutes about the broken glass incident. : teslamotors

"I talked to their chief reliability engineer at event and held the 1 kg steel ball Franz threw. He said they threw it 5 times the night before with no issue, and suspected microfractures were root cause. Interestingly, they had spare windows on standby and fixed it within 45 minutes. But they chose not to use the fresh windows during event. They also recommended to Elon that he should NOT try it, and instead just stick with the ball drop gag."
The upside is that there is no excuse 2 years from now for anyone to whine about it. It will be durable at least by then (ignoring any bulletproof marketing).

I don't mean country tough as in strength, I mean in aesthetics. The cowboy/construction worker/farmer I doubt will want this; this is has an urban aesthetic. That said, great vehicle. And a good niche product. Elon has already said he's not counting on this as a mass market vehicle but rather it's a passion project. If he wants to sell mass volume he said they can make a more conventional truck.
Hell Kimball loves it and he wears a cowboy hat all the time... proof enough for me!

Many are saying the CYBRTRCK's styling is too radical for typical US pickup buyers. That's a fair point, but IDK. I did a road trip from Canada to Florida in the spring and stopped to charge late on a Friday evening at Love's Truck Stop next to the Alabama International Dragway. There were dozens and dozens of pickups gassing up to go the strip that night. None of these decked out rides looked like they had ever loaded bails of hay or pulled anything. All had paid big bucks to build the most awesome pickup they could buy. In other words, a big proportion of US buying market, even in small town USA, wants a kick-a** looking pickup. Sure, farmers might not bite, but many of these guys will, I'd bet, especially when it outdrags any other truck!

Time will tell how popular the CYBRTRCK can be.

Love's Truck Stop, Alabama (that's my red Model 3 at the chargers in the background - I felt like a guppy thrown into a shark tank!):
upload_2019-11-22_16-30-36.png

upload_2019-11-22_16-33-0.png

upload_2019-11-22_16-33-37.png

My daughter is 17 and on Fridays, all her fiends hang out at our house because of the game room I built for my kids several years ago (an old man once told me to make my house the coolest place for teenagers to hang out that way all the other kids would want to come to your house and your kids would always be home....but that's another story). Anyway, I've shown the truck to all the 17 and 18 year olds and the girls are like, "whatever" - but every single one of these boys have said, "what the heck is that?". Obviously, you can tell I'm in a very red state. There is no buzz here, and everyone I've shown it to hates it. I'll post again when I find someone who likes it. I promise.

Red state or blue state, it comes down to sales. Tesla has sold over 100,000 reservations now. How many of those were potential Ford or GM owners of Red States? All it takes is one Tesla in your town and the buzz will ignite.

Got my order in for the dual motor mid range.
Wonder how bad a range hit I will have pulling a 40' RV?
There's only one issue I can see with pulling an RV with the Cybrtrck and it's only relevant to 5th-wheel style trailers. The high sides of the vault will hit the trailer during radical turning, or backing into a campsite. Not sure because of my lack of experience, but maybe a gooseneck-style trailer might work. Travel trailers will work perfectly tho.

So, quick review:

member estimates are at 100k+ for reservations on the Cybertruck within past 18 hours of presentation.

Top google searches/interest on Cybertruck are not coming from California, but... wait for it... coming from *Middle America*

Oh how the irony works its magic.

Goes to show the how detached from reality these “analysts” are.

The excitement of something as imagination provoking as the Cybertruck stimulates new ideas and aesthetics which companies were too fearful to bring to market because “polling problems.”

It will be hard to think that getting into a Cybertruck on a daily basis won’t put a smile on your face, or get you to enter a new world of imagination to distract from the daily monotonous grind of same old same old. It provides a sense of freedom not found in the same old designs and experiences we’ve seen over and over again for the past few decades.

The Cybertruck maybe that shock to our systems required to free our senses from the slumber of stasis and mediocrity.

How could we expect anything different from Elon. This is the *brand.* He shocked the internal combustion stasis. He shocked the fossil fuel utility stasis. He shocked the space industry stasis.

This is just what Elon and all his businesses do. And this is what consumers want, the early Cybertruck numbers don’t lie, sorry to be counternarrative dear “analysts.”
Great analysis Foghat! But I still think your first album was your best. Finest cover of Maybelline ever recorded.

Brought some $345 calls expiring next Friday.

Just my guess, but if the order number is super impressive there is a decent chance Tesla provides the number before market re-opens on Monday.

I wouldn’t 100% expect them to do it (they didn’t for the Y) but given the “mixed” reaction to the unveiling (and the stock sell off) it might be something they do to correct the narrative.

A number over 100,000 would be amazing for such an unconventional design, and will start a serious debate about what sort of volume ballpark the vehicle production will be.

I think at this very early stage, and with little facts to go on, that the volume will be higher than S/X/R combined, but lower than the 3 or Y. That’s a big range though: between 100k - 500k annually. (More likely will be closer to 100k annual capacity I think, but will have a big backlog for a considerable time)

A number over 100,000 would be amazing for such an unconventional design, and will start a serious debate about what sort of volume ballpark the vehicle production will be.
It's already estimated to be over 130,000 for North America and Europe. China has it's own numbering system, so I'd guess worst case 250,000 world wide by Monday opening.

Growing up in the 80s/90s angular cars were very much in fashion:

300zx - Google Search

ferrari testarossa - Google Search

celica 1984 - Google Search

But they never took the angles to such an extreme as this. This is a good article showing some of the history of wedge shaped cars which the CyberTruck takes design cues from.

Wedge Wonders – the Angular Era in Automotive Design

I really like this wedge design but only if it is done with rounded elements to soften to harshness of the shape like many of the cars in the above link. I also think the sides flaring out wider is an important aspect of the wedge design, otherwise the cars just look too boxy.

1982 Blade Runner Everyman Car | Petersen Automotive Museum

There's only one issue I can see with pulling an RV with the Cybrtrck and it's only relevant to 5th-wheel style trailers. The high sides of the vault will hit the trailer during radical turning, or backing into a campsite. Not sure because of my lack of experience, but maybe a gooseneck-style trailer might work. Travel trailers will work perfectly tho.
The height of the trailer will probably contribute to the range hit.

No idea about airflow behind truck and the goose neck or 5th wheel.

Last edited: