Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good idea, with a perspective that probably too few think about.

Tesla had to introduce idle fees because some users would otherwise tend to leave their cars at the stall longer than needed.

Now, if one can remotely unplug one's car (e.g. via the app), then some may become tempted to do that just to avoid the idle fees - since these are based on whether the car is plugged in.

So, some thinking is needed here...
Sure it's not based on when the CHARGE PLUG is plugged back in to the holder on the supercharger? In my scenario, I'd have to pay idle fees because it would register me as if I was parked idly until somebody else used the wire or else plugged it into the holder for safe keeping. I'd accept that occasionally on an important trip.

Tesla could always have the cars tattle about whether they've moved away from the stalls or not. ;)

Obviously the goal would be that once you remote disconnect, you smart-summon into the nearest parking space - once Smart Summon can be trusted enough to do that without the owner nearby. Indeed, that'd be so useful to Tesla that they might want to make Smart Summon selectively available to everyone at superchargers once it gets to that point.

Re, remote disconnect... you'll have to be careful on how the cable pulls away from the vehicle. You don't want it to accidentally scratch someone's paint.
A large heavy use supercharger could specify certain "after-charging" space exclusively for finished Tesla's to auto-pilot themselves into after auto-unplugging.

Last edited:
Any speculation on why he might be over there? Trying to work out some further deal with Panasonic? Anyone know if this is the international airport he'd fly into if he was going to meet with Panasonic executives?
Panasonic headquarter is in Osaka.
Tokyo is beautiful this season(pretty much every season actually).

1+

On this US Holiday, it’s worth taking the time to watch Tony Seba’s talk on the future of electric transport and AI if you missed it earlier. Definitely worth the 30 min review.

I first became aware of his predictions about 4-5 years ago and they sounded outandish at the time. But so far his forecasts have been spot on. Hard not to be bullish on Tesla after watching this!
For several decades I've pondered... At what point will roads no longer be needed, and exactly what technology will bring it about that we've got these endless crumbling ribbons of decaying asphalt and what will life be like in that world? I'd always been certain that it will be a positive thing, but considering recent events, I'm dreading any advanced future more and more.

Level 2 will work fine here:
map_of_isla-de-ometepe.jpg

But it would be really nice to Supercharge the Pan-American Highway.

Especially the Darien Gap ;)

I don't think this had been implemented to please your eye.
In case you have no clue, it is there to kill everybody at the ring.

Gova, you have 127 post, you may want to recheck and see how long I’ve been following Tesla before making such comment. Yes I am aware of it’s benefits, what I am worried about is that the “too fast too furious” body kit may hurt sales if it’s implemented; potentially turning away higher end buyers off. The body kit screams “look at me”, and not in a good way neither. If Tesla is going to beat Porsche, they will need to do it aesthetically as well. Have you seen the Porsche? It’s a beautiful car, Tesla needs a redesign for the model S badly (this is coming from an early adopter in both the S and 3). That performance Model S looks like it was stitched up last minute, Frankenstein style (I’m embarrassed by the sight of it). Hopefully it was designed for the track, and nothing more.

Last edited:
Good find. +20% would be almost 96k in Q4. If we believe the story about shipping 7000 packs to China, that's 88-89k Model 3s for Fremont. I believe they'll continue to supply China through Q1 then seamlessly shift that battery pack production to Model Y in Fremont while switching GF3 over to LG/CATL.

The "7,000 battery packs" story that was leaked to CleanTechnica is only about Q3 battery pack production for GF3:

Tesla Gigafactory 3 Has ~7,000 Battery Packs In Stock For Chinese Model 3 Production, Will Use LG Chem Cells In 2020 | CleanTechnica

"Tesla Gigafactory 1 has been supplying battery packs to Gigafactory 3 since the beginning of August. The company has been sending between 400 and 750 battery packs per week depending on what was needed in the Fremont factory at the time. The final shipment for 2019 was sent 2 weeks ago. So, basically 2019 GF3 battery packs were shipped over a period of 12 weeks."

"After some fairly simple math, you get a range of 4,800 to 9,000 battery packs that GF3 has in stock at the moment. The median number would be close to ~7,000 battery packs. Technically speaking, that is the maximum number of Model 3s that Gigafactory 3 could theoretically build in the 7 weeks till the end of the year."​

Note the wide spread of the range and the present tense of 7,000 packs. This article dates November 3, so this is the end of Q3 state of things.

I.e. even if we believe the 7k story, it has no direct relevance on Q4 production and we cannot just subtract 7k from GF1 production levels. I do think GF1 is or will be sending excess battery packs to GF3, but we don't know anything about the magnitude of that.

Tesla paid 566m of debt on 11/1 and will pay another ~170m in December. I don't think they'll liquidate much more inventory so we're probably looking at a bit under $5 billion at yearend.

In Q3 Tesla actually increased inventory, they didn't "liquidate". This artificially decreased free cash flow - organic cash flow was around +$947m according to @ReflexFund's cash flow metric: operating cash flow less changes in operating assets and liabilities, less convertibles and equity financing.

At the end of Q3 Tesla had $5,338m in cash equivalents. If we assume just pure Q3 cash flow then Q4 cash flow will be $5,338m+$947m-$566m-$170m = $5,549m - an increase over Q3.

But all other things are not equal:
  • If Tesla increases Model 3 production and deliveries from ~80k to ~90k, with mostly flat inventory and flat S&X, to meet the guidance of 360k, then they'll gain disproportionately more cash income, because the incremental cash income at the margin is around 30% because fixed costs are paid already. I.e. at $50k ASP that's +$15m of income for every +1,000 units, or +$150m for +10k units delivered.
  • But S&X is probably not flat either: Q4 is seasonally the strongest.
  • Capex outflows might have increased due to GF3 and Model Y construction - it's unclear to what extent. In Q3 capital expenditures already ticked up from the Q2 level or $250m to $385m, which Tesla characterized this way in their Q3 update letter: "Capex increased sequentially due to investments in Gigafactory Shanghai and Model Y preparations in Fremont."
Anyway, the net of these factors seems to suggest a further increase in cash levels over Q3.

That's the baseline scenario - it could go anywhere with so many moving pieces and wide discretion by Tesla to manage quarter to quarter cash levels.

Also note that due to their wave production/delivery system their cash balance dips dramatically the first 2+ months of the quarter before it comes roaring back in the last minute deliverypalooza. They could probably pay 2b in cash but definitely not 4b.

Mid-quarter cash consumption depends on production levels, but they are also frequently working capital loan facility financed. For example Tesla recently opened up a large RMB denominated loan facility at favorable terms. Mid-quarter they'd prefer to pay Chinese suppliers in RMB, and pay it back from their ~$650m RMB revenue at the end of the quarter, avoiding FX exchange losses. This way they can finance a big part of their Chinese supply chain, without drawing on any of their dollar denominated cash reserves.

They also have dollar denominated credit lines secured by produced but not yet delivered cars. They'd obviously prefer to draw on their own cash first and use credit last - but their cash reserves are not a correct metric of their true mid-quarter working capital buffer, which is probably $1b-$2b higher than their cash reserves.

So I think Tesla could easily pay more than $2b in cash, if they wanted to - but I also suspect Panasonic would prefer to perform a part-equity deal or pure-stock merger of their GF1 operations with Tesla, and Tesla wouldn't mind paying in equity either, to conserve cash.

For several decades I've pondered... At what point will roads no longer be needed, and exactly what technology will bring it about that we've got these endless crumbling ribbons of decaying asphalt and what will life be like in that world? I'd always been certain that it will be a positive thing, but considering recent events, I'm dreading any advanced future more and more.

It think the Boring Co might have a role in reshaping cities to be more liveable, locating cars and parking underground.
Streets can then be used by trams, pedestrians and cyclists, at least in the city centres, further out we are stuck with roads...
Even with EVs, RoboTaxi's and some tunnels we will still need many roads...
But if we reduce the number of parking spaces, that provides an opportunity to add more green space to he city and in particular to the suburbs...
Parking lots are a very inefficient use of land and resources, and they are generally ugly
Apart from needing to cope with CC the future us generally bright, our industrial base should be improving the quality of life, not diminishing it with pollution... Tesla is part of that change..

TeslaCharts and a few TSLAQ people plan to go to the courthouse for the Unsworth case.

Do the TSLAQ people really believe that one guy with a colorful past (Unsworth) saying something nasty to Elon, and Elon tweeting and emailing something nasty and potentially libelous in return - for which Elon might or might not have to pay a couple of million dollars of compensation (worst-case), would have any long term or even medium term effect on the Tesla investment thesis?

giphy.webp

Does he say *how* the hell he's driving so much? What's his job?

In the interview he mentioned that he likes to travel and he uses his EV instead of flying to help the environment - but in Germany it's also very common for company representatives and managers to rack up impressive mileage, with the Autobahn network connecting everything.

He got the Tesla in 2013 I think, so is driving 166k km/year - which is 450 km per day, impressive indeed - ~3 hours of driving every day.

In the interview he mentioned that he likes to travel and he uses his EV instead of flying to help the environment - but in Germany it's also very common for company representatives and managers to rack up impressive mileage, with the Autobahn network connecting everything.

He got the Tesla in 2013 I think, so is driving 166k km/year - which is 450 km per day, impressive indeed - ~3 hours of driving every day.

More like 4,5 hours. He says he rather cruises at 120 or 130 km. And to be honest, I think he lives in that car. He's an investor and doesn't need a day job.

What this story tells us is, that the early problems with battery connectors and motor bearings with Model S/X are gone. And I have not heard any such stories or problems with Model 3. The battery he's using is still at 86% after over 600K km with about 40% SuC usage (he tries to keep it in 20 to 80 % SoC range). Again, makes me confident my Model 3 does the planned 500k km without any sweat.

Last edited:
Reports circulating that the delivery pause...

upload_2019-11-29_10-14-3.png

... was due to a batch of cars sent to the EU having US headlights, which had to be replaced. Tesla has reportedly modified the delivery area at AMS to be able to handle up to 1000 deliveries per day.

Also, Glovis Cosmos just arrived at Amsterdam this morning. So things should be taking off again soon.

The advantage of not waiting until the last minute for deliveries: you have time to react to adverse events! :) I so can't wait for the entire wave to be unrolled via the opening of GF4.

Thanks. 450km per day is nuts, but more understandable going full speed in Autobanhs and *not flying* ;-)

Reactions: Fact Checking
Does he say *how* the hell he's driving so much? What's his job?

I know people who know him.

He seem to be quite wealthy and has a lot of real estate and is driving a lot to visit those. On top he is doing road trips be it to the North Cap in Europe or Northern Africa e.g. Tunesia just for the fun of it enjoying driving a BEV and as an early adopter and supporter of Tesla he wants to help people understand that you don't have any restrictions with a BEV if you drive a Tesla.