Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are several camps. One is still the my friend's mother's, sister's, uncle's friend was in an accident and walked away because he wasn't wearing a seat belt. Another is "We're only going a couple of miles, not worth it". A third is the shoulder strap is choking me (This one is really relevant to Tesla). But I think the most common is that most people just don't think "seat belt first" when you get into the car and then get distracted.

I don’t know if it is still true but when the state of Georgia finally made it the law to wear seat belts, (something about getting federal highway funds, I think), they exempted pick-up trucks. Go figure.

I don’t know if it is still true but when the state of Georgia finally made it the law to wear seat belts, (something about getting federal highway funds, I think), they exempted pick-up trucks. Go figure.
When seat belt laws were first proposed, all the taxi drivers and commercial trucks complained about how much time fastening and unfastening the seatbelt would take out of the working day (and remember at that time pickups were 99% used for commercial purposes, no urban or suburban family owned a pickup unless they were a tradesman. Pickups were too expensive to operate. It was only when the fuel crisis happened in the mid-seventies and pollution controls came in, that pickups became cheaper and more economical--the early pollution controls were very fuel inefficient).

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash and GOVA
Being hit from behind and not wearing seatbelts can easily kill or cripple you: the far more likely outcome of a rear collision in urban traffic is that you get pushed into the car in front of you, at which point the airbags might go off and might break your neck: airbags are calibrated under the assumption that you are wearing seatbelts.
I was actually wearing seat belts at the time of the train incident, the passenger wasn't but they were able to roll under the dash. I've worn seat belts always, and was really kind of annoyed at the seat belt laws because why should there be a law to do something that any thinking person would already do.

IIRC, the first idea behind airbags was that seat belts wouldn't be needed. They quickly found that airbags alone didn't work very well.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mader Levap
Boy I agree with you on the seat belts. Just a day ago we had a big crash on a slick highway south of town where the driver of an F150 that caused the accident and flipped the vehicle was killed... he was not wearing a seat belt. Another driver was seriously injured; they were not wearing a seat belt. The third driver was injured, but released from the hospital, probably because they were wearing their seat belts!

After being in a serious accident myself about 30 years ago, where I flipped and totalled my beloved 2002 and escaped injury even though I was not wearing my seat belt at the time (probably because the centrifugal force kept us seated), I promised myself and former spouse that I would always wear my seat belt from then on. It has saved me from injury in two other accidents (one my fault, the other not) and I don't regret it for a second. Matter of fact I feel far more secure being belted in than not, plus I'm not violating the law.

The amount of idiots that drive unbelted even today never ceases to amaze me.
Most of you will not remember but I vividly recall the opposition to seat belts argued that a person could be killed in a fire or drowning if they were in a seat belt. Sen. Markey's remark that someone could be killed by AP reminded me of that argument. Obviously both rely on the isolated event to the detriment of safety to the vast public. Oh well.

When seat belt laws were first proposed, all the taxi drivers and commercial trucks complained about how much time fastening and unfastening the seatbelt would take out of the working day (and remember at that time pickups were 99% used for commercial purposes, no urban or suburban family owned a pickup unless they were a tradesman. Pickups were too expensive to operate. It was only when the fuel crisis happened in the mid-seventies and pollution controls came in, that pickups became cheaper and more economical--the early pollution controls were very fuel inefficient).
How about no seat belts on school buses. How is this justified?

What would happen if tomorrow there was no Apple, Toyota or Tesla?

APPL Market Cap $1,200 B. We'd all still by using a physical keyboard to text from our smartphones. Blackberry would be known as more than just a fruit.

TM, Market Cap $200 B. We'd buy Honda or any other number of ICE brands for our vehicle needs.

TSLA, Market Cap $65 B. The Worlds' transportation industry, and energy storage industry, and renewable energy industry would take an enormous step backwards. The price of car shredders would skyrocket as unviable EVs (excluding Tesla) would be sold for scrap. The World would be a less better place and the future not nearly as green or bright.

Electrek - 2 hours ago: https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/15/t...ongress-is-looking-at-renewing-ev-tax-credit/

Below is what I have most recently written to those who represent me in Congress. Others may want to do the same.

Please change the wording in the bill that proposes an expansion of Electric Vehicle (EV) tax credits. The bill could be greatly improved by providing a universal SUNSET date, or a quota for the TOTAL number of new EVs delivered in the US, rather than the currently proposed production limit per manufacturer.

The individual production limit for each manufacturer punishes the risk-taking American innovators that were first to make EVs, while giving the latecomers (including foreigners) reason to dawdle even longer.

The tax credit goes to car buyers, not the manufacturers, so it makes no sense to relate the tax credit to individual production quotas for each company. Consumers should not be forced to choose an EV based on which particular brands still qualify for tax credits.

In any event, please see that the EV tax credit expansion bill is passed in some shape or form. But do not include hybrid vehicles, which would defeat the purpose. Our prospects for a future with clean air and a non-harmful climate are depending on you.

How about no seat belts on school buses. How is this justified?
I think it's time again. The bus driver would have to check each student, and then there's what to do if one or more students unbuckled their seat belts. Also the kind of accidents school busses tend to be in are either very minor (to the bus because of it's mass). Or very fatal (hitting a train, falling over a cliff, hit by a semi, etc.). In most of those really bad accidents seat belts wouldn't do much. My opinion however, is that today it would be easy to have electronically monitored seat belts that would make a rude noise if the student wasn't buckled in eliminating the time factor. So justification is now rather weak. Of course there's always cost of such a system. Cost always trumps safety in organizations unless there is a real push from somewhere.

I've worn seat belts always, and was really kind of annoyed at the seat belt laws because why should there be a law to do something that any thinking person would already do.

Part of the argument behind mandatory seat belt laws is to protect innocent people from idiots: such as irresponsible parents not buckling up their children. Also, society has higher costs from idiots hurting/paralyzing themselves and living on benefits for the rest of their lives.

So the "it's my responsibility and my personal decision, this is a nanny state law" arguments are misguided - we are not living in a vacuum, and there's a price of civilization.

Part of the argument behind mandatory seat belt laws is to protect innocent people from idiots: such as irresponsible parents not buckling up their children. Also, society has higher costs from idiots hurting/paralyzing themselves and living on benefits for the rest of their lives.

So the "it's my responsibility and my personal decision, this is a nanny state law" arguments are misguided - we are not living in a vacuum, and there's a price of civilization.
I wasn't arguing that there shouldn't be seat belt laws, only annoyed that they were necessary.

Reactions: Fact Checking
That’s what I always think of when people have an excuse for not wearing a seatbelt. I’ve heard quite a few people say stuff like that. I’m sure there is always that rare case, but statistically you’re better off not flying through the windshield.
Flying through the windshield is a lot better than getting half way through.

(What's worse than a worm in your apple? Half a worm. :) )

This is what it sounds like when doves cry

AAC7665C-6A96-4F2F-9CDD-96B4CBF2BF83.png

Pickups were exempted because then speaker of the house, Tom Murphy, lived in west Georgia and daily drove a PU to the capital in Atlanta. He hated seat-belts for a bunch of reasons, but the major one was he did not want the government, state or federal, telling him what to do. He was considered the most powerful man in the state. The Gov'ner was third behind the speaker and the DOT commissioner.

Last edited:
I think it's time again. The bus driver would have to check each student, and then there's what to do if one or more students unbuckled their seat belts. Also the kind of accidents school busses tend to be in are either very minor (to the bus because of it's mass). Or very fatal (hitting a train, falling over a cliff, hit by a semi, etc.). In most of those really bad accidents seat belts wouldn't do much. My opinion however, is that today it would be easy to have electronically monitored seat belts that would make a rude noise if the student wasn't buckled in eliminating the time factor. So justification is now rather weak. Of course there's always cost of such a system. Cost always trumps safety in organizations unless there is a real push from somewhere.

You mention many of the reasons, but the additional background is that most school buses travel at low speeds and have control of traffic (admittedly less and less as time goes by, at least in the US). The cost/benefit isn't there yet for general school pickup/dropoff. For long range trips, seat belts should already be "officially" required. Enforcement is the main issue and technology would be a huge benefit.

Cost is always an issue, but you have to show clear safety gains to add additional costs.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
Lol - I didn't realize that Anton had always been such a comedian ;)

https://seekingalpha.com/article/155015-blackberry-s-26-advantages-over-iphone

ht/Tristan

Why would Anton Wahlman even write such an idiotic article pushing Blackberry in August 2009, when the smartphone wars were all but over already?

"Disclosures: Long RIMM"

Oh, never mind...

Btw., when Anton Wahlman wrote that article on 2009.8.10, RIMM was around $72 per share. Within a year it lost half its value, within 3 years it was down to $7 - in a strongly rebounding bull market.

I hope Anton was long RIMM for a long, long time. :D

Last edited:
UK election: Boris & the conservatives look to have a massive majority according to first exit polls.

in regards to Tesla, this seemingly makes Brexit much more certain and perhaps leads to a rush on model 3 sales pending possible increased tariffs on cars entering UK
The Uk currently charges the EU’s Common External Tariff of 10% on all third country auto imports. Which includes the Tesla Model 3.

If the UK signs a trade deal with the US this will drop to zero. If the UK doesn’t sign a trade deal with the US, there’s still a persuasive argument for dropping the tariff on ZEVs to zero, which would include US made Tesla Model 3s.

I can’t see what circumstance you are imagining that would see the Uk tariff for Model 3s increase because of Brexit, your comment is not informative but actually deeply misleading.

When you will see a big increase in UK registrations of Model 3s is from April 2020 onwards, when Teslas will become zero rate taxable under the company car scheme. This is a very major tax incentive and is massive for Tesla when you consider that in 2018, 57% of all new car registrations in the Uk were made by companies rather than individuals.

Further, the overwhelming majority attained by Boris Johnson has immediately led to a surge in confidence in the UK economy, witness the spike in the pound and FTSE all-share index. The Brexit bounce will be in full swing by April 2020.

The conditions are ripe for the UK to become Tesla’s largest European market in 2020/21 if they execute properly (service, superchargers, marketing).

Ban bacon and mandate broccoli.