Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sort of did this once, on a motorcycle. A car did a left turn in front of me, I hit the side of the car in the rear, flipped over the trunk, and landed on my feet and ran it out. Luckily in the city under 30mph.
I did almost the same on the back of a TR6 trackside at Road America. MGB not watching went in our lane. I landed on my feet and rolled no serious injury but I was 19 and at the height of my powers. Famous picture of a race driver who walked away If I remember correctly. I thought it was Innes Ireland but maybe not. Been wearing my shoulder harness since our family had a 1961 Volvo PV544. I feel naked withou.
7d5866b2c0ff1d9a49956e224653630a--life-grand-prix.jpg

Arrgh! Where is that furiousity smiley (growley?) when you need it.
Makes me wonder how incapacitated the policeman was. As well as Sen. Ed of course; took him almost two days to show up passable after the fatal accident.
This was a long time ago. People weren't nearly as sensitized to driving under the influence as they are today. MADD wasn't formed until about fifteen years later.

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
Just FYI Studebaker was a large and successful wagon maker (for horses) and transitioned to autos. They lasted 50 years in the auto business and made many good cars.
If I'm not mistaken, in the 1920s their stock was valued at around $125. That would be something like $1850 today.

There are several camps. One is still the my friend's mother's, sister's, uncle's friend was in an accident and walked away because he wasn't wearing a seat belt. Another is "We're only going a couple of miles, not worth it". A third is the shoulder strap is choking me (This one is really relevant to Tesla). But I think the most common is that most people just don't think "seat belt first" when you get into the car and then get distracted.

The closest call that happened to me was when I was stopped at a railroad crossing and the sign was flashing. A drunk driver hit me from behind and pushed the car into the railroad tracks. I was really lucky in that it was one of those false alarms and no train was coming, but I could see someone getting so flustered that they couldn't unbuckle the seat belt. However, had a train been coming that probably wouldn't have made a whit of difference. (FYI: The policeman at the scene didn't think the person was drunk enough to give a ticket to so the driver got off scott free. This was a very long time ago).

Being hit from behind and not wearing seatbelts can easily kill or cripple you: the far more likely outcome of a rear collision in urban traffic is that you get pushed into the car in front of you, at which point the airbags might go off and might break your neck: airbags are calibrated under the assumption that you are wearing seatbelts.

Doors getting stuck and trapping people is far more common statistically.

Seatbelts are also life savers in pretty much any sort of rollover accident, which are a surprisingly high percentage of fatal accidents.

Here's a compilation of "not wearing seatbelts" crashes:

These are common, mundane, everyday crashes, while crashes where seatbelts get stuck are very rare: the seatbelt fasteners are in the innermost, most protected part of the passenger compartment (between two passengers), if those areas are damaged mechanically there's very little chance of anyone left alive to free from the wreck...

The scientific and statistical data is overwhelming: not wearing seatbelts is killing and injuring much more people than wearing seatbelts. Cases of entrapment with vehicle fire or driving into water are far less probable than:
  • plain crashes with delayed airbag activation
  • rollover crashes
  • multiple-impact crashes
Seatbelts are a bit like helmets in warfare: helmets might kill you by making you duck slower or by getting stuck in something, but they'll save your life far more often.

Last edited:
Marketwatch talking up the likelihood of the tax credit renewal passing.

Tax-credit expansion sought by Tesla, other EV players is among tax breaks getting lawmakers’ attention as year ends

Still uncertain, of course.

Contrary to some misinformation circulating on Twitter, the new language only applies to sales made after the bill is enacted.

View attachment 488497

However, the extra 400k sales also doesn't start ticking up until

EL1tuwzXkAETQ3B

The bill also creates a new credit for used vehicles (e.g. will boost residual value):

EL10TbiW4AIxYJs

... and heavy vehicles (e.g. Semi)

EL10TbvXUAQ74ld

The value of this bill to Tesla, should it pass, really can't be overstated. It'd create billions of dollars of extra ASP for the company. I would say "sales", but they're already going to be maxed out on production regardless. ;) Might justify sinking more money into "as quickly as possible" capacity expansions, though. The key for Tesla would be to come just short of 400k US sales in one quarter (say, Q4 '20 or Q1 '21), and then have tons of extra production capacity come online the quarter after that, to get as many sales in before the credits phase out.

But it has to actually pass, of course.

hmmmm....of course this will be good for Tesla at least for a year or two once it passes, but it feels like it was written by lobbyists from Ford since it could potentially harm Tesla & GM US sales until the bill passes.

I've talked to self-identified American patriots who swear the American flags they fly 24/7 from the windows of their car doesn't impact their MPG "significantly". But the US consumes 142 Billion gallons of gasoline annually. Let's assume the flag drops the mileage from 26.32 mpg to 26.30 mpg. That's a drop of 0.08%. The actual impact is probably a lot higher but let's be conservative. If everyone flew the flag from their gas-burning vehicle, that would amount to 113.6 million gallons annually. Just in the U.S. Just for every gas car to display an American flag. How patriotic is that? :confused:

They don't, that's crazy talk - an LED H1 bulb uses about 25W:

Assuming that Tesla's headlights have similar power consumption two such headlights will use about 50W. On a 60 miles trip that takes an hour that's about 0.4% of range, or 0.2 miles ...
But they are taking about ALL lights not just headlights. Accent, window switch, footwell, clearance/Parking, etc.

My suspicion is that the populatoin of survivors to tell their story is SMOL. ;)

ED: Oh yes, Ed K. But he died too.

More like survivorship bias. Just like the bias I heard while travelling through some really rough areas. You keep hearing about how amazing a place is and how secure it is from other travellers, but we forget that the ones who get raped or murdered don't get heard nor are you going to bump into them while traveling.

But they are taking about ALL lights not just headlights. Accent, window switch, footwell, clearance/Parking, etc.
Total lighting load is going to be under 100w with modern LEDs. The accent/marker lights are trivial, like 5w each unless the brakes are depressed. Maybe the watts may go slightly above 100w if you had on highs, while turning, with the brakes pressed and your dome light on.

Edit: Actual power consumption on 2019 LED headlights is 25W. They have higher ratings sometimes but don't draw that much. So two of them is 50W. It is trivial since I hear the Tesla car computer is around 200W.

Last edited:
I encountered the same idea in Germany where traditionalists think that driving a black or silver BMW or Benz is a sign of success. I used to joke about them being the Borg.

Anyway, I think the idea that this BBA effect can limit Tesla demand in China is totally wrong.

* The product is better
* EVs in general are superior tech
* Safety is better
* The price of the Model 3 is very low compared to what you get for BBA car
* Pollution is a big issue in China
* The Chinese government is pushing EVs and Tesla hard
* Younger people have influence on their parents to promote Tesla
* Many BBA parents and in-laws are going to be exposed to friends Tesla's and buy them based on the network effect, like what happened with all those test ride videos on Youtube.
* Tesla can easily become a point of pride/status as people find they can show off the car to their friends and family.
* BBA cars can quickly seem outdated in China - China will shift to EVs faster than most countries.

You may be very right and I hope you are. But I appreciate the conservative response about this being a potential issue.